Calories are calories but...

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    It's really not even about calories. I chose to eat clean... really clean... I refuse to eat anything with a face...

13200062024713.jpg

...so no bananas for me!

I think it's despicable you minions actually eat bananas....

post-10559-Banana-Minion-gif-orx1.gif

...I would take the granola bar because I am a good person! The rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves and stop eating junk food like bananas full of chemicals and other bad junk and stuff.

Giving you a slow clap right now, brah.
  • sami_83
    sami_83 Posts: 161
    Options
    Granola bars = muesli bars?
    If so I would choose banana. I don't like muesli bars.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Banana. Simply because it has more fat. Granola bars are mostly pure carbs. With a banana you get both.

Wait.... what?
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss, a calorie is a calorie, no matter what.

In terms of overall health, there can be a massive difference.

Basically though, I would pick the one that fits in my calories and macros and satisfies my hunger... or I'd bring some high protein stuff from home and avoid both of those snacks.

Another option is eat half the banana and find someone to split with. :happy:
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    A calorie is a calorie. Always. No buts, not even one.

A link to an article (with references in the comments below) that I just saw in another thread.
    http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/2013/11/12/3889049.htm
    I am familiar with this Dr's work and he only uses peer-reviewed information and facts.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    It's always great to see opinions from people who believe that "chemically" laden foods are "bad", but can't explain how whole foods aren't comprised of chemicals.
    We can find people successful from ANY DIET program with testimonials stating that this approach is the only one that worked.

But the reality is that ALL DIET programs have one thing in common for weight loss.............................consuming less calories than one burns.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    LMAO @ all the broscience in this thread.

*waits for gifs of popcorn eating and/or people grabbing chairs*

dancing-banana-o.gif

Since we are on the subject of bananas.
  • Brad592
    Brad592 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    It's always great to see opinions from people who believe that "chemically" laden foods are "bad", but can't explain how whole foods aren't comprised of chemicals.

All drugs are bad, what matters is the dose.
  • kimosabe1
    kimosabe1 Posts: 2,467 Member
    Options
    eat balls-
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I would pick both. :bigsmile:

In, because "bad" food will kill us all!!! :laugh:
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    Banana. Simply because it has more fat. Granola bars are mostly pure carbs. With a banana you get both.

A banana only has .39g of fat. Granola bars generally have much more than that, even low fat ones have 1.5- 3 grams per 100 cal bar.
    So that should not be used as the reason to eat a banana over a granola bar.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    But.. Let's say, for example, in our cafeteria there are couple of options. You can get a granola bar or a banana for a snack. Now, a granola br has 90 calories but a banana has 130(they're massive). Besides the nutrition, I still think having a banana is so much better than having a granola bar, even on low cal diets. It fills me up more and for some mental reason I feel better.

What would you chose in a situation like that?
    Oh and, I used to be on a diet bit not right now, just wondering what your opinions are.

If those were my choices, I'd choose the granola bar, because I hate bananas.

For you, I would suggest the banana because it fills you up more and for some mental reason you feel better.
  • Anonycatgirl
    Anonycatgirl Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    a calorie is a calorie no buts...

Yes buts!!!!

Person 1 eats 2000 calories of chocloate and McDoanld's each day and Person 2 eats 2000 calories of meat, fuit and vegetables each day. Lets assume the net calories are the same each day.

What do you think the end result will be?

Sorry, but a calorie is not a calorie!

assuming their maintenance level is both 2000 then they will both not gain weight…

so yes a calorie is a calorie, which is energy ….

A calorie is a calorie, in the literal sense, but some food choices offer more nutrition per calorie. Many (though not all) commercial granola bars are essentially candy with a little more fiber. Candy's fine sometimes if you have the free calories, but I'd go for the fruit. If you're going for processed sugary things, admit it, have a small cookie or split a candy bar with someone and get on with your day.
  • sbarella
    sbarella Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Banana has a lot of dihydrogen monoxide in it so no thanks.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    Banana

I once read the packaging on a granola bar, It had 4-5 different types of sugar on the ingredients list.

I am trying to eat whole natural foods. If the granola was homemade by the café, not sure I would choose it either. They usually add too much sugar for my taste.

PS. I only learned to like and eat bananas this past year since they are healthy for you, especially since I work out a lot.
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I would try to pick the banana most times....but sometimes I'd choose the granola bar, because I like them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

Yes buts!!!!

Person 1 eats 2000 calories of chocloate and McDoanld's each day and Person 2 eats 2000 calories of meat, fuit and vegetables each day. Lets assume the net calories are the same each day.

assuming their maintenance level is both 2000 then they will both not gain weight…

A calorie is a calorie, in the literal sense, but some food choices offer more nutrition per calorie. Many (though not all) commercial granola bars are essentially candy with a little more fiber. Candy's fine sometimes if you have the free calories, but I'd go for the fruit. If you're going for processed sugary things, admit it, have a small cookie or split a candy bar with someone and get on with your day.

ummm you do realize that fruit has sugar in it, right?

what does it matter if I get my sugar from a candy bar or a piece of fruit? At the molecular level they are all the same = sugar.
  • IsisRosa
    IsisRosa Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the banana. IMO, fruits and veggies trump factory made foods, any day. I think it's silly for people to argue that a banana and a factory made granola bar have the same nutritional value. I agree that a calorie equals a calorie, but there is more to health than counting calories.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'd go with the banana. IMO, fruits and veggies trump factory made foods, any day. I think it's silly for people to argue that a banana and a factory made granola bar have the same nutritional value. I agree that a calorie equals a calorie, but there is more to health than counting calories.

Depending on the granola bar and what else you are eating that day, the granola bar may be the healthy choice. Something being made in a factory doesn't automatically make it more or less healthy than a piece of fruit.
  • Lifts4IceCream
    Lifts4IceCream Posts: 77 Member
    Options

Yes buts!!!!

ummm you do realize that fruit has sugar in it, right?

what does it matter if I get my sugar from a candy bar or a piece of fruit? At the molecular level they are all the same = sugar.

^^^ This. A calorie is a calorie, no matter where it comes from. Keep preachin'! by the way, I'd take the candy bar... That is If It Fit My Macros.