Setting activity level as sedentary

Options
Hi, newbie here! I set my activity level as sedentary because the only exercise I do other than walking places is 3 days a week at the gym which I log separately, and it's given me a net goal of 1200 calories per day. I don't mind doing this and have been around that figure for the last week, but does sedentary imply that you do literally NO exercise and sit on your bum all day? I was wondering whether I should be logging any walking I do. For example, I walk to university and back most days which is a 30 minute round trip which according to MFP would burn 92 calories if I walked at a leisurely pace. Is it reasonable to add these extra 92 calories or is that cheating? I just feel that 1300 calories would be better for me to eat well than 1200 on my non-gym days.

Replies

• piratesluver
    piratesluver Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I read a good post a few months ago that says unless you sit down and do NOTHING else, you should NEVER be sedentary.

I have a desk job, but I'm pretty active (cleaning, walking around etc) so I set mine as lightly active, and only log when I do something out of the ordinary (weight lifting, jogging, etc)
  • 125KC
    125KC Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and I log my walking separately. I do use a fitbit which allocates the steps and calories burned.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I set mine at sedentary too because I work from home and am pretty much on my bum all day. I do track my walks, even if it's just a few blocks to the grocery store.
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    If you think 1300 is better, go for it. Most people consider 1200 too low anyway.

I don't log things that I did before I started losing weight, which might include walking to campus for you. For example, some people log house cleaning. I did that when I was heavy and it just got me to being heavy. Not gonna log it. I log the changes, like if you started running to campus or walked an extra long route.
  • lawzza
    lawzza Posts: 11
    Options
    I use my sedentary 1200 goal as a minimum so that I can add my daily walks to uni and any exercise I do. The walking alone brings me up to a "lightly active" or "moderately active" calorie goal for the day anyway - so I am able to eat 1400-1500 calories. I just like to see how the walking adds up! Hope that makes sense...
  • jaz050465
    jaz050465 Posts: 3,508 Member
    Options
    When I link my fitbit, it wants 5000 steps before it reaches the sedentary level.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    you're not sedentary and if you're giving MFP the wrong numbers, it's gonna give YOU the wrong numbers.. then you're gonna wonder why you feel like crap or aren't losing weight.

be honest with MFP, lying isn't gonna benefit you at all.

also, here:
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

the typical MFP users does this:
    1. I wanna lose weight, let's try MFP.
    2. OH! Wow, it tells me I can lose 2 lbs a WEEK? AWESOME!
    3. I just sit at a desk when I'm not working out, I guess I'm sedentary.
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    5. Lose a lot, fast, brag about 1200 calorie success.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.
    7. Get on the forums, ask why they aren't losing.
    8. Get two responses (I eat 1200 and lose) (I eat 2200 and lose)
    9. Argument ensues about who is right.

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/
  • p4ulmiller
    p4ulmiller Posts: 588 Member
    Options
    Sedentary MFPer here.

Every exercise is logged separately and I have a Fitbit which adds in my day to day movement. It makes things more accurate for me.
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    4. MFP tells them 1200 calories, and they don't even eat that.. then they work out on top of it.. creating an even bigger deficit.
    6. Come back in a few months trying to figure out why they're dizzy, tired, not losing weight.

So true. If you can sustain 1200 calories and you're an appropriate size to be eating 1200 calories, then go for it. Most people simply set their goals too aggressively though, get told 1200 calories and burn out after a few weeks/months.
  • jimgatewood
    jimgatewood Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Set it for light and record only intensive exercise. Sounds right to me.
  • peaceenharmonyy
    Options
    I set my activity level as sedentary as well. should i change this now that im working out 6 days a week?
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    you're not sedentary and if you're giving MFP the wrong numbers, it's gonna give YOU the wrong numbers.. then you're gonna wonder why you feel like crap or aren't losing weight.

be honest with MFP, lying isn't gonna benefit you at all.

also, here:
    I put this together a while back. It seems to have helped some folks. It worked for me and tons of others.

1. don't trust the initial setup that MFP provides. If you put in the wrong/inaccurate information, it'll tell you to eat an amount that may not be applicable.
    2. Make sure you eat enough.
    3. Figure out what works for you and is sustainable/healthy/long term.
    4. avoid fads. don't buy in to any "Hey, try the twinkie and vodka diet"
    5. Don't cut out anything now that you don't plan on literally giving up forever.
    6. GET A FOOD SCALE. Weigh everything. No, seriously.
    7. Get an HRM with a chest strap. You'll at least have a better idea of what you're burning. It'll be more accurate than the generic info in the exercise database.. and even more than the cardio machines. This is great for steady state cardio (run/walk/etc)
    8. Don't go balls out. You'll burn out. I see 300 lb people show up here, instantly start working out and cutting their intake SEVERELY... trying to cut out all of their carbs at once.. whatever. Take it slow. Figure out how much you need to eat FIRST in order to lose.. then incorporate exercise.
    9. Don't cardio yourself to death.
    10. Take the information on the forums with a grain of salt. A lot of people that have been here for a while.. and have been successful, may seem jaded. They give out GREAT advice day after day, only to be met with people that refuse to listen.
    11. Eat real food. Not diet food. Not "low fat, sugar free, now without X." It's easier to get/find/count.
    12. don't set time restrictions.
    13. measure yourself weekly. Don't just weigh. Measure and take pictures.
    14 BE PATIENT.
    15. Avoid forum topics that have "1200" in the title. It's just full of butthurt. Lots of it.
    16. This isn't a game, it's about changing your lifestyle. Do that.

pretty much that.

...and don't fall into the "1200 calorie" vertigo of suck because of:

Now. That being said. These threads happen hundreds of times per day. Most times, and I mean really.. seriously.. 95% of the time.. people get the 1200 number because they don't put the right information in when they set up the account. There are a great number of people that are trying to help. I'm one of 'em.

I'm a hardcore advocate of actually finding out what works for the individual.. by means of other calculators, averages, time, practice, and patience.

Blanket prescriptions of 1200 calories "because it worked for me" is more harmful to the generic new user than the "figure out what you need to eat." Unfortunately, one is a LOT easier to type.

Find out what you need: http://scoobysworkshop.com/accurate-calorie-calculator/

Wow well said bravo
  • Nikoruo
    Nikoruo Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    That is a really tough one, i'm also in that position and really just play around with the amount i have to eat. i log planned exercise or, say, if i am going shopping all day. Other than that i just walk leisurely between busses to get to school and work and at school i'm on my bum and work i'm not like breaking a sweat. :o So I don't think it's right to put it up to lightly active at that amount. so It kind of goes with a lot of testing.
  • dlionsmane
    dlionsmane Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    It's not only about how 'active' your lifestyle is (do you sit on your bum all day? Really?) It's about how much weight you have to lose as well. IE Setting realistic, sustainable goals. I have never had MFP tell me 1200 calories. The least amount it had given me was 1350 and that was when I went and selected 1 pound a week and sedentary as my activity. I think most people select 2 pounds and sedentary and that gives you the lowest common denominator = 1200....

Some people say it works for them. I personally don't see how, When I can lose weight eating 1600-1700 why would I choose to eat 1200? So it will come off faster? Is this a race? Is there a finish line? I don't know about anyone else but, my end goal is to always stay in my healthy range (once I get there of course :wink: ) So I want to know I can do this for the long haul, the rest of my life and I don't know about you but the thought of eating only 1200 calories for the next 40 years is down right depressing!

So think about the number of pounds you have to lose as well and set your weekly goal realistically. If you have 100+ to lose 2 pounds is ok, 50-100 = 1.5, 20-50 =1 and less than 20 =.5.
  • rockmama72
    rockmama72 Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    I, for one, am not lying to MFP about being sedentary. I am one lazy chick.
  • victoriaalice39
    Options
    Thank you for posting this, I have found this interesting and helpful.
  • drusilla126
    drusilla126 Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    I put sedentary because I seriously sit all damn day. Chained to my desk I am. I don't figure that's lying to MFP. I have always calculated my needs using the scooby calculator and not what MFP gave me and lost 100 pounds doing so (fairly easily and not starving myself.)
  • geekyjock76
    geekyjock76 Posts: 2,720 Member
    Options
    OP, if you are walking to campus most days of the week, then you are, at minimum, lightly active and definitely not sedentary.

Also, if you only have 15 lbs to lose, you should choose the 0.5 lb per week option. Selecting both lightly active and a 0.5 lb goal should raise your calories to a more realistic net estimate to meet energy needs. To clarify, this is the net amount without including planned exercise..

Lastly, since you are going to the gym 3 days a week for planned exercise, you need to estimate calories burned from that and log it. This will further increase total calories consumed on exercise days.
  • chelseabuns88
    chelseabuns88 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Mine's set at sedentary, I log (but underestimate slightly) all walks and if I do a deep clean of the house or any workouts I'll log that too (and find i do get hungrier and thus want to eat more after days with such activity). I find it easier this way because it's teaching me to listen to my body, but I still have the support of the numbers.

I think different things work for different people, but if you're feeling hungry (genuine physical hunger) eat! And if this is happening very often you probably do need to change your activity level. I forget to mention that sometimes I really do lay around all day doing nothing, I just read, watch Netflix, cook food and sleep, so it helps to remind myself of a lower calorie goal on such days!
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    My activity level is set at sedentary. I arbitrarily decided to log walks of 30 minutes or more if I was walking at a 20:00 pace or faster (3 mph), as well as cardio exercise at a higher intensity. I'm losing weight at the rate I want.

My advice would be to log the walk, but after a couple weeks, compare your goal with your results. If you're not losing as fast as you want, then stop logging the walk. If you're happy with your results, keep logging. MFP's estimates are just that: estimates. You need to take results into account and then correct the estimates, if necessary. You might end up deciding to log only 50% or 75% of exercise calories if that's what it takes to get the desired results.