Crossfit Coach Severed Spine :-(

Options
http://www.outsideonline.com/news-from-the-field/CrossFit-Coach-Severs-Spine.html

Crazy. He must have been from a bad box. What a crazy accident. And a coach no less. Can't imagine what might've gone wrong; and there was probably no way to prevent.
CrossFit coach might never walk again after he severed his spine during a competition in California on Sunday.

Kevin Ogar was competing at a CrossFit event when he attempted a snatch—a lift in which a barbell is raised from the floor directly to an overhead position in a single motion—but dropped the weight on his back. According to his friends, Ogar separated his T11 and T12 vertebrae, severed his spinal cord, and is currently paralyzed from the waist down.

Because Ogar is uninsured, the CrossFit community has rallied together to help pay for the medical bills. In fewer than 48 hours, people from around the world donated more than $100,000, CrossFit Unbroken owner Matt Hathcock told CBS.

“It was just kind of a freak accident,” says one CrossFitter who competed with Ogar last weekend.

CrossFit’s high-intensity workouts have exploded in popularity, and there are now about 10,000 CrossFit gyms worldwide. Though CrossFit injury numbers vary, studies have pegged the CrossFit injury rate from as low as 16 percent to as high as 74 percent.

Replies

• Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    Horrible
  • So_Much_Fab
    So_Much_Fab Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    Jeez...I cringed reading that.
  • homerjspartan
    homerjspartan Posts: 1,893 Member
    Options
    1pv241.gif
  • skullshank
    skullshank Posts: 4,324 Member
    Options
    ouch. and with all those qualifications. yikes.
  • silvergurl518
    silvergurl518 Posts: 4,123 Member
    Options
    that's awful! must have been, as they said, just a freak accident. if anyone is totally prepared and trained, it's a coach.
  • InForBacon
    InForBacon Posts: 1,508 Member
    Options
    Though CrossFit injury numbers vary, studies have pegged the CrossFit injury rate from as low as 16 percent to as high as 74 percent.

That's an interesting statistic.
  • walkwithme1
    walkwithme1 Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    That could happen to anyone at any time, whether you are a crossfit coach, workout at a cf box, Olympic athlete or just a regular Joe lifting at a gym or at home . Very sad. So proud of the cf family coming together to support him.
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,642 Member
    Options
    I may never touch a snatch again...

seriously, that's unfortunate for the guy.
  • Mainebikerchick
    Mainebikerchick Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    That is AWFUL!!!
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I kind of hold my breath anytime I see anyone doing a snatch, just because of the potential for injury, so I can't imagine how this played out.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    :frown:
  • _SABOTEUR_
    _SABOTEUR_ Posts: 6,833 Member
    Options
    That's sad, but how was he allowed to work as a coach without health insurance? I believe it's a requirement in the UK if you want to be a Personal Trainer.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    That's sad, but how was he allowed to work as a coach without health insurance? I believe it's a requirement in the UK if you want to be a Personal Trainer.

It's America, we are free to do whatever we wa--...oh wait, NVM.
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    He is a Crossfit coach at a box here in Colorado

What "appears" to have happened is as he missed the Snatch he went to fall down to the ground (as in the sitting position). The barbell that he dropped behind him bounced off a stack of bumper plates (which were too close to the lifter) and his lower back landed on it as he was going down. From what I could see, if the plates weren't there, this would have never happened.

Anyway, I hope all the Crossfit haters will have some respect - a young athlete may never walk again and I personally think it's in VERY bad taste to bring that crap into this thread.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,529 Member
    Options
    That could happen to anyone at any time, whether you are a crossfit coach, workout at a cf box, Olympic athlete or just a regular Joe lifting at a gym or at home . Very sad. So proud of the cf family coming together to support him.
    While true it could happen to anyone, competitions will encourage attempts of maxes that people may not have attempted before or never completed before. I'm not against trying to be your best, but there is a limit to what the body can really do. Would he have tried that amount if it wasn't a competition? Who knows.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Rosplosion
    Rosplosion Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    REDDWARF-FistMouth_zps91a58b27.gif
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options

As a trainer either you or the gym/box you work at has to have liability insurance. Don't know why it would affect my clients if I didn't personally have health insurance? That's a non-issue IMO
  • SofaKingRad_II
    Options
    And THAT is the wrath of what a snatch can do to someone if you aren't paying close attention! That really sucks.
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    Sucks...but at the same time it is at a competition...not your everyday Crossfit gym. Want to point out that this could happen in any sport. Paula Radcliffe, Derek Redmond, Kerri Strug. Injuries happen, and usually at the worst times.