Low carb - argument!

Options
hmg90
hmg90 Posts: 314 Member
I've been trying to cut down on my carbs or going "low carb". I've been eating around 1300 cals a day but it's been going slow.

I've cut out alcohol, potatoes, pasta, grains, bread - all those big sources of carbs and eat a lot of eggs, lean meats, fish and vegetables.

I made the mistake of mentioning this to a friend who's big time 'low-carber'. He then got angry and claimed I "don't eat low carb", most of all because I mentioned I had a banana between meals one day.
He said that 25 g a day or less was the norm, whereas I'm between 35 and 60 (occasionally higher but never over 100). I thought this was strange, especially if you eat a lot of vegetables, I could easily 25 carbs in vegetables alone. He then said tomatoes don't go with low carb. And also, if I was truly eating low carb I would not have to count my calories at all to lose weight.

After googling I got so many results of diets fitting the term "low carb". But it seems some claim the term for themselves.

Am I really wrong here? Do I have to go down to 20g a day to be defined as 'low carb'?

Replies

• Homemaker57
    Homemaker57 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Mark Sisson, author of the Primal Blueprint, suggests that 50-100g of carbs per day puts you in the effortless weight loss zone. So personally when I'm trying to be "low carb", I shoot for less than 100g.

Everyone has a different definition. Less than 25g though? That's keto.
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    You are doing just fine with your carb level. Some people can tolerate higher carbs, while others need to go real low. Sounds like you found the right level that works for you. Personally, I am set at 30 grams net carbs, which means total carbs is higher because of fibre grams that are not counted in the net carbs.

Also, about the tomato. That's fine too. Some people nix certain vegetables and fruits, and bring in the argument of ancestral eating. As in, if you are of European decent, eat more of the European ancestral fruits and veg, and tomatoes are not from Europe originally, and vice versa if you are African, South American, Asian, etc...you get the picture. I am of European decent, but I don't follow this. I will eat avocados, jicama, coconut, whatever. All I care about is that it is within the LCHF diet (which promotes whole foods) and that it fits my macros.

There is a low carb forum on MFP. You can ask questions and get more info there on low carb lifestyle:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/forums/show/411-low-carber-daily-forum-the-group-

Good luck.
  • amyllu
    amyllu Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    You are not wrong at all! It's people like that who think they know it all that put others off trying various diets.. and that means ANY diet that one might choose to follow.
    I am usually on 60 carbs a day but since having this flu bug I've put it up to 90... but that's just me and what I feel comfortable with..and that's the crux of things. Do what makes YOU feel okay and if you find you are losing the weight you want to then that's grand, otherwise you may find it better to lower it a bit more.
    I wonder about people who are so pedantic and overly concerned about others levels of intake.!?!!
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    Am I really wrong here? Do I have to go down to 20g a day to be defined as 'low carb'?

Physiologically, anything below somewhere around 80-100g/day is "low carb" for relatively inactive individuals.

For highly active people, the "low carb" limit rises to 200g-300g/day (or even higher), depending on intensity and type of activity.
  • GLH2576
    GLH2576 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    If you are trying to get into a "ketogenic" state then the general rule of thumb is 20g of net carbs per day for about two weeks is the standard (you can find that recommendation in any number of sources - the New Atkins for a New You - for instance). For a regular LCHF diet you have to find what works for you. I'd guess that by cutting out all the starches, grains, and alcohol calories and counting total carbs rather than net carbs you are probably in pretty good shape. Your friend might want to do some more reading before making pronouncements. Let the scale be your guide.
  • MelRC117
    MelRC117 Posts: 911 Member
    Options
    If it works for you its fine. I first did low carb years ago and ate a banana every day with breakfast and I was fine. You are still pretty low, I'd say 20g is more the induction phase (the 1st, most restrictive, and shortest phase of Atkins). Since another poster touched on the tomato, the "you don't have to count calories" works for many. However, for some people they eat too many calories and the scale won't budge. For many people though since they feel so full from the high fat/moderate protein diet and being in ketosis, they don't eat as much.
  • cmeiron
    cmeiron Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    <snip>

Speaking as someone who eats around 350g of carbs a day...I'd say you're doing ok with the "low carb" thing.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    20g and lower is ketosis. It's a whole different thing than just lowering carbs.

IMO most people should stay above 150 or go all the way to keto- Low-ish carbs (between keto and 150) is just plain miserable.
  • kenzietate
    kenzietate Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Low carb is a relative term. I have heard people define it as under 150, under 100, under 50 and under 20 g per day. I personally thing for a normal person, low carb is under 100g per day. Very low carb is what your friend is talking about. That is a ketogenic diet. I personally do best on a ketogenic diet but I lose weight anywhere under 75g per day. I have PCOS and am insulin resistant hence being on such a low number to lose weight.

If you aren't hungry and you are losing weight then go with it. Nothing works for every single person! While what he said is technically true for a ketogenic diet, that doesn't necessarily apply to just a lower carb diet.
  • shaynepoole
    shaynepoole Posts: 493 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and I try to keep carbs around 100 a day from all sources - so my choice is to keep the fruits / vegetables / milk and avoid breads/rice/starches.

There are varying degrees of low carb - if he's trying to keep it under 20, that sounds more like a keto diet than anything else

(I should mention that I am keeping the carbs low so I don't have to take any added medicine to treat the diabetes)
  • fruttibiscotti
    fruttibiscotti Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    20g and lower is ketosis. It's a whole different thing than just lowering carbs.

IMO most people should stay above 150 or go all the way to keto- Low-ish carbs (between keto and 150) is just plain miserable.

Ah....no...between keto and 150 is miserable? Maybe for you, not for me. Besides, the most miserable time of my life is when I was NOT eating low carb.
  • __freckles__
    __freckles__ Posts: 1,238 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to cut down on my carbs or going "low carb". I've been eating around 1300 cals a day but it's been going slow.

I've cut out alcohol, potatoes, pasta, grains, bread - all those big sources of carbs and eat a lot of eggs, lean meats, fish and vegetables.

I made the mistake of mentioning this to a friend who's big time 'low-carber'. He then got angry and claimed I "don't eat low carb", most of all because I mentioned I had a banana between meals one day.
    He said that 25 g a day or less was the norm, whereas I'm between 35 and 60 (occasionally higher but never over 100). I thought this was strange, especially if you eat a lot of vegetables, I could easily 25 carbs in vegetables alone. He then said tomatoes don't go with low carb. And also, if I was truly eating low carb I would not have to count my calories at all to lose weight.

After googling I got so many results of diets fitting the term "low carb". But it seems some claim the term for themselves.

What is your reason to go low carb? I set my carbs to 40% of my diet which is around 220g a day. Don't mess with my carbs!
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    You're fine. I started off doing low carb Paleo, and I ate around 40-50 g of carbs a day (mind you, most Paleos aren't eating low carb, so it was a bit difficult and I had to really track my carb intake and avoid most fruits). Now I've gone Primal, and I've upped my carbs to around 100g a day. I'm still losing weight just fine. TBH, the SAD includes about 200-300 g of carbs a day, depending on the eater, so anywhere under 100-150 g of carbs is still pretty low comparatively.

Eat your banana if you want it, it's good for you ;)
  • gracekovarik1
    Options
    carbs don't make you fat! fat makes you fat!
  • 1ZenGirl
    1ZenGirl Posts: 432 Member
    Options

No.
  • Americannabis
    Options

Well, this isn't a universal experience in the slightest. When I was taking in between 50g to 75g carbs a day was when I felt my absolute best, like I had endless amounts of energy and didn't feel fatigued or desire to nap like I often do now.
  • bajoyba
    bajoyba Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    If you're eating in a way that you enjoy, and it's working for you, I see no reason why it has to fit a specific label. If it makes your friend feel better, you could just call it "lower carb".
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    You keep saying that and it keeps not being true.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options

half right.

Caloric excess makes you fat. Even those in keto will gain weight if they eat above their TDEE.

OP, its all relative. Under 20-25g is its own thing...if you normally eat 200g of carbs, then maybe 100 is low for you. Doesn't really matter, so long as your energy is good and you are happy with your progress.
  • moliva4
    moliva4 Posts: 29
    Options
    When I did what I considered low-carb I didn't eat any fruit, and only particular vegetables (I did the under 20g of carbs and going into ketosis thing)... With that being said - realistically "low-carb" otherwise is probably going to be based on how many calories your consuming. I just checked my food diaries and I've been around 55 carbs a day right now not trying to watch carbs (just lowering calories and trying to keep within my macros)