Once you started did people follow you?

Options
13»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not really, no...most waited to see how long I'd hold out. Now I'm looking awesome and feeling awesome...and they're just...well....there....right where I left 'em...wondering WTF....

My wife would be the only exception...but she was actually taking pretty good care of herself to begin with. Most of my friends are still just eating **** and doing no **** and "loving life"....granted, most of my friends are about 5 years behind me...eventually it'll catch up to them and they'll hopefully catch on to some good livin'
  • blessman
    blessman Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Awesome! I'm in a fun workout group on Facebook. Everyone is so positive and supportive. We would love to have you join us! Send me a Facebook friend request if you're interested! (My FB link is Facebook.com/brad.lessman.1).
  • GenoPrice
    GenoPrice Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Everybody in work and socially asks what is the secret to which I reply "diet and exercise". I normally get a blank expression back and they say "is that it", "yes that is it, burn more calories than you take in and you will lose the weight" I tell them. Still I don't think they get it. Like others have said maybe they are all looking for the magic pill that will just dissolve the fat but it doesn't exist.

On the plus side my wife and best friend have joined the site as of the 1st of Jan and have been doing really well. I try to give them lots of encouragement and my wife even joined me in the gym this morning for her first attempt at Stronglifts. She did find it easy but I then told her you have to add weight every session :noway:
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    This is week two for me, I'm tired and sore from working out and slowly my friends and family are joining me in trying to lose weight. My mother in law (about 300lbs) is going to start exercising with me a couple days a week after she gets off work, and now my coworker/best friend has decided to buckle down. Apparently in the time since I've had my son she's gained the same amount of weight that I did in my pregnancy and is back to only weighing 5lbs less than me.

Have any of the rest of you had this happen, where without even trying your at home support has grown?
    That's wonderful news!

My beau not only joined me on the weight loss journey, he joined my on MFP too!
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I started doing this more seriously about 4 months ago am logging everyday. Now that I have my own place, I am working out a lot harder and becoming a lot stronger. My boyfriend has taken notice and has jumped in with me! It's so cute; he has no weight to lose, but he sees that my body is firming up a lot and so now he's going to start trying to gain muscle. It's so funny to see him reading a book about weight lifting. His exact words were "You're not about to be bench pressing and punking me". LOL! It's so awesome to have him as support and it's so stinking cute to see him following in my footsteps.

Wow.. this is very supportive of him. You are very lucky.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    once others see your results they want to hop on board.
    wanting and doing are two different things. Most people like the idea but when it comes to actually doing something can't be bothered
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    People tend to follow after they have seen results. One of my co-workers did join and is also doing well with the weight lost plan.
    My husband did join but he lost interest as he does not like calorie counting.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    Options
    My husband has moved from the calorie counting doesn't work couch to the well maybe I should do that stage, another year or so he might actually log in.

My Mom is the one that has actually asked what I've been doing, she started tracking everything, and about 2 months ago went and bought herself a weight bench, 200 lbs in weights and a bike which she's been using 4-5 times a week.

My husband actually has lost over 20lbs without counting calories/tracking, but he made some small changes in the way he eats and the weight just fell off :) Things like switching from regular soda to diet, not supersizing his fries anymore (which he usually eats every day for lunch) etc. Sometimes just adjusting things a bit can make a big difference!

Sounds like my husband he dropped about 15 lbs last year, cutting back from a 12 pack of soda daily to only having 1, and because I do most of the cooking that has helped him. They do make a big difference.
  • sunman00
    sunman00 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    my wife is already fit but my son's used to ridicule me for eating salmon steaks & rice while they ate fish & chips, over the course of the journey they've come round to eating clean, & they've hit the gym in a big way, my 14yo in particular is now incredibly ripped & has a queue of girls knocking at the door :)

so yes, leading by example can indeed work
  • morty1966
    morty1966 Posts: 250 Member
    Options
    I used a self help book/CBT therapy to help me tackle my bad habits: Beck, the diet solution. My best friend joined me when I started losing and we support each other. Lots of people have bought the book on my recommendation, but I know that many of them have not even opened it yet. I don't say anything anymore as I feel guilty for all that money being spent.
  • kroonha
    kroonha Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I pretty much inspired both of my parents to get back in shape (both with a few extra kilos to lose but overall rather unfit) and my mom thanks me for it very often. My boyfriend just decided to eat healthier with me, which is nice and he'll also join me for running once I buy proper running shoes.
    As for everyone else...people are generally interested in what I do and my boyfriend's mother was asking a lot of questions and now she's also trying to be a lot healthier from what my boyfriend told me.

I don't impose the changes I've made on anyone. Generally I keep it to myself and only my close friends and family know what I'm actually doing as my new fitness plan. I don't preach, I don't tell others what to do, me just being and doing seems to be enough for some people around me to want to change themselves.
  • VoodooAborisha
    VoodooAborisha Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Yep. In the beginning, I just sweated and stayed hungry all alone. THEN when it became visible that I was losing weight, now my husband, my parents-in-law, my sister, and several friends have now signed up for MFP.