Build Strength Prior to Beginning to Lift Weights?

Options
So, my trainer (at a commercial gym) is dead set against the idea of me doing compound lifts with a barbell, yet...although, I've already done them. She claims that I need to work on form using kettlebell routines and build initial strength that way. Now, I know that I'm coming from a relatively sedentary state and that I am really wimpy, but do you build up to compound lifts, or do you use compound lifts to gain strength?

Thoughts, please?

Replies

• JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Your trainer sounds like an idiot.

If you aren't strong enough to lift the bar- you can still train with a smaller bar- or a PVC pipe.

There is absolutely unquestionably almost no reason outside physical medical limitations for someone to NOT learn to do proper compound lift barbell work.

Fire her immediately.
  • Smashley1947
    Options
    She might be worried about proper form and risk of injury. Or maybe she is uncomfortable doing the exercises herself, or may not have the experience necessary

You may also be able to try compound exercises and such without a barbell.

I have just started weightlifting and I am still using body weight and dumbbells. I figure I will build up to the barbell.

I want to be able to do that with confidence and not struggle, so for me I am building my strength.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    WhiteRabbit1313 Posts: 1,091 Member
    Options

If you aren't strong enough to lift the bar- you can still train with a smaller bar- or a PVC pipe.

There is absolutely unquestionably almost no reason outside physical medical limitations for someone to NOT learn to do proper compound lift barbell work.

Fire her immediately.

Well, I think it may be motivated more by money, honestly. (More training sessions = more money). That's why I'm asking if there's validity to these claims. I also considered that she might have a point in practicing form on low weights first, so I don't hurt myself.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    She might be worried about proper form and risk of injury. Or maybe she is uncomfortable doing the exercises herself, or may not have the experience necessary

You may also be able to try compound exercises and such without a barbell.

I have just started weightlifting and I am still using body weight and dumbbells. I figure I will build up to the barbell.

I want to be able to do that with confidence and not struggle, so for me I am building my strength.

She's certified in Olympic lifting, by who? I have no clue, honestly. She has me doing kettlebell squats and deadlifts. I suspect that I won't be on those long, because the weights are pretty easy.
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    It's a "USA Weightlifting Certification."
  • carrietehbear
    carrietehbear Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Switch to a new trainer... Dead lifting with kettlebells? that gets easy and boring quick!
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    If we give her the benefit of the doubt, then what are you not telling us? Are you straining with the bar or do you have problems with coordination? No shame in either, they take time to learn.

If you're not straining with the bar and your coordination is good to begin, then there is no reason to avoid getting started with the big lifts and the bar.

Also, plenty of people use goblet squats as assistance work to improve their barbell squats and train form. No shame in that, but if you don't need it, then... you don't need it. lol

Also, I don't believe you need a personal trainer. They are there to provide motivation, and make a plan for you. I believe you already have both, so what are you going to be paying them for?
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I've told you several times to fire her. This isn't the first time you've complained about her. It's obviously not a good fit.
  • JoRocka
    Options
    I've told you several times to fire her. This isn't the first time you've complained about her. It's obviously not a good fit.

Yeah- I just realized this was the same poster as the cardio issue...

definitely fire her.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options

Fire her immediately.

Well, I think it may be motivated more by money, honestly. (More training sessions = more money). That's why I'm asking if there's validity to these claims. I also considered that she might have a point in practicing form on low weights first, so I don't hurt myself.

You hit the nail on the head most probably. Your form is important, but you can hurt yourself with bad form and kettlebells too, and you can do just as low weight with a barbell or dumbbells. If she isn't wanting to do what you want her to, maybe you should get a new trainer. You also can start with machines first. There is really no good reason to "build strength before you build strength" unless you are too weak to lift the lowest weights, you are lifting kettlebells now so that does not seem valid...
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    You can also upload lifting videos you've taken on your phone to YouTube and share them here with us. We can coach your form for you.

I.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOzlpujZwBA
  • Rerun201
    Rerun201 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree with some of what others have written here, but until we know what your goals are, then we're all just sort of shooting in the dark.

Secondly, does she have a kettlebell trainer's certification? Does she have a bias towards kettlebells?
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Options
    Working with kettlebells is a fine addition to the main lifts. Wouldn't call them particularly safer though, or directly applicable to training up to barbell lifts.

If you asked to train with barbells and the trainer decides kettlebells but no barbells, that's pretty goofy.
  • bfitnbfab
    Options
    Just go talk to your trainer and if they can't get you to buy into their training methods, then either go it alone or look for another trainer. There may be a method to their madness.
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Hmm - my first trainer was reluctant to go anywhere near the weights room despite me informing her that's what I wanted to do. I found one that did and we have been working happily together now for more than 2 years. Time to move on.
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    Unless the trainer can demonstrate to you that you have a muscle imbalance that would cause a significant injury if you go into lifting, I'd call them on it. You have set your fitness goals, if getting stronger or gaining muscle mass is one of them, heavy lifting has to be a part of your program. Kettlebells are great for functional strength and fitness (and dealing with some muscle imbalances), but I'd be getting a trainee under the bar as soon as I knew they could do it with good form.
  • JoRocka
    Options

I was a trainer (technically still am)

I taught barbell training. if your client likes you- they will keep coming back for a variety of other reasons- but so what- they go out and get strong with out you? someone else will be along to fill their gap.

9/10 clients come back because they LIKE working with YOU- not because they aren't smart enough to go do it on their own (OR- big OR- they are admittedly lacking in self motivation- and won't do it without you)
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options
    If you're straining with the bar, then yeah you should use lower weight to begin with. If not, you should get started with the big lifts.

Also, plenty of people use goblet squats as assistance work to improve their barbell squats. No shame in that, but if you don't need it, then... you don't need it. lol

Also, I don't believe you need a personal trainer. They are there to provide motivation, and make a plan for you. You already have both, so what are you going to be paying them for?

Goblet squats. That's what she called them.

What am I paying her for? I'm not. It was a pre-paid package of 5 sessions, which I've been regretting ever since. I'm trying to make the most of it and learn what I can. Initially, I told them that I ONLY wanted help with forms for compound lifts; in their convoluted way, they agreed to give me a "plan" to get me there. I see that, now. Hind-sight being 20/20, I would've been more adamant about eliciting an explicit response from them before hiring them.

Do I think I'm wasting money? Not completely. I feel like I'll be using barbells soon enough, because I will put myself on them. It has definitely given me confidence in my form for when I do begin lifting, again. Am I frustrated that I feel duped? Sure. Who wouldn't? No one likes being sold something they didn't really need/want.

Anyway...I suppose it's really a moot point, if I intend to do my own thing in 2 more sessions, anyway. :tongue:
  • WhiteRabbit1313
    Options

Can't. Pre-paid "training package."
  • growtinymuscles
    growtinymuscles Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Ummm, build strength before doing compound exercises? I can lift some fairly heavy iron and I started out doing compound exercises from the beginning. Start out with a weight you can lift safely and progress from there

Everyone is a "trainer" now a days...

Go out and do your own research, figure out how your body responds and become your own trainer.