Fitbit Users - Has anyone experienced this?

Options

Replies

• captmiddy
    captmiddy Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I have a one so obviously not having this issue, but if you have sensitivity to things like this I would certainly suggest a One. I know a lot of people want these on their wrist but it seems to me it isn't worth it in that regard. I am curious if some of the replacement bands they are planning for the system may be helpful. They partnered with some companies to make more jewelry looking bands to hold the unit which would hopefully come with a band more designed for general population usage.
  • Melionfire
    Melionfire Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    I have the force and have had no issues whatsoever except for the difficulty clasping it. Hope fitbit eventually makes the clasp easier and more durable. I workout with my force and wear it 24/7 except for showering and my skin is fine. Never heard of the heat rash under the charging port. I make sure it isn't really tight. If my skin was irritated I would take it off and then try again later to make sure.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    remove flex, wash wrist and dry, attach flex. repeat once a day.

problem solved.

No, not if you're actually allergic to the materials the unit is made from.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    would hopefully come with a band more designed for general population usage.
    I don't know how they could do that. It's non-latex plastic with a stainless steel clasp, I don't think there's anything more benign. I imagine it irritates the skin of a small portion of users.
  • coolraul07
    coolraul07 Posts: 1,606 Member
    Options
    I've had a FitBit One (FBO) since March 2013. I've had no issues at all except that the rubber wore off of the open end of the clip so I now have to take it off going thru metal detectors at work.
    Personally, I never saw the appeal in wristband-based version, but hey, TEHO. The FBO comes with a wide wristband for sleep monitoring but if I wanted I could wear it other times as well. If the width bothered me, I'd buy a thick rubber-band-like bracelet (remember those "LiveStrong" ones) and clip it to that. Best of both worlds, eh?
  • TcaitlinO
    TcaitlinO Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I had the fitbit ultra for a little over a year, but at Christmas I switched to the Basis watch. It doesn't sync with MFP, but I really like that it collects vastly more data and organizes it better. I was considering the fitbit watch, but I heard bad things about the strap/clasp.

I'm also a fan of the Basis goals - it's set up for a gamer mindset. You earn points for various behaviors, and you can buy new habits with your points.
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Another Force user signing in. No issues so far but I wear it loose since I hate anything tight on my wrist.

I do make sure to wipe the inside down with alcohol a couple times a week. I also move the "face" from the outside to the inside of my wrist a couple of times a day.
  • callmeampersand
    callmeampersand Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and the only thing I notice is that sometimes when I sleep with it I wake up with bruises on my wrist like someone grabbed my wrist really hard. I tend to bruise easily though.
  • Chairless
    Chairless Posts: 588 Member
    Options

problem solved.

Why would someone with an allergy to certain materials, wear such materials?

Some deodorants give me a rash, guess what i don't wear.
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

problem solved.

Why would someone with an allergy to certain materials, wear such materials?

Some deodorants give me a rash, guess what i don't wear.

Fitbit didn't publicize what the unit was made of until people started having issues. There was no way to know up-front without specifically asking them. I'm on high alert for nickel, personally, I don't know that I would have thought of it - the clasp supposed to be made of stainless steel, but it turns out there's nickel in it; having read that it's made of "stainless steel" I doubt I would have contacted them to verify that. But, regardless, didn't I pretty much say what you said? Just washing won't work sooooooo.....don't wear it? Not sure what your point is.
  • WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    I believe all stainless steel contains nickel.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    I have fitbit one and don't have to worry about that. I just clip it on to my bra every morning and it stays put and no one can see it unless I want them to

Ditto!
  • Napier_mum
    Napier_mum Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Yip I have a One as well and I love it! I really wanted a Force but I couldn't find anywhere in NZ that sold them (typical when you live at the a$$end of the world) I thought about the flex but then wondered if it would be effective when most of my walking is pushing a stroller or carrying a child so went with the one and pretty happy with my choice.

I also love that I can just clip it into my bra and no one needs to see it except me.

I kinda assume that the rash is something only a certain percentage of users experience. Unfortunately nothing is every going to be 100% perfect for everyone.
  • mikewiz
    Options
    It's nice to actually hear Force users not having an issue after a month. The FitBit thread is filled with those affected and it worried me. Received my Force this weekend. I don't wear it tight and take it off before showering. I usually wipe it down before putting it back on.
  • Blokeypoo
    Blokeypoo Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I have allergies and quite sensitive skin but my Fitbit One hasn't caused a problem in a year of use.
  • jessiwilkerson
    Options
    I've been wearing my Flex almost every day since May and I have never developed a rash or anything that might lead me to want to take it off. I never take it off when I shower, take a bath, swim, or anything. I only take it off to charge it about once a week or so.

I did lose it once, however, but the customer service at Fitbit is great and they replaced it for free. :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,672 Member
    Options
    I have one and just wear it loose. Like some clothing, wearing it too tight can cause a rash.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Justifier
    Justifier Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I have a Zip and I just clip it to my pants pocket. It never comes in contact with my skin, so I couldn't tell you if I'd have a reaction to it.
  • BlueBombers
    BlueBombers Posts: 4,065 Member
    Options
    I have the Flex and have not had any issues with it.
  • joandue
    joandue Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I have a fitbit zip.... clips to bra and no problems