anybody drink diet pop to save the calories?

Options

Replies

• SweeDecadence92
    SweeDecadence92 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    If I'm going to have a fizzy drink, generally its diet. I don't like to drink them much anyway though, I feel really gassy and bloated after drinking them.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    Only with bourbon...
  • chezjuan
    chezjuan Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I think that is the only reason that people drink diet soda. When I did have it regularly a few years ago I certainly didn't drink it for the wonderful taste.
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Yes...especially when I mix it with rum or vodka. Those calories would add up! :wink:
  • csalazar89
    csalazar89 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    One of things I treat myself to is a regular coca cola from time to time...it is just so good one of my all time favorites. I don't drink it often but when I do it is so worth the calories :) I cannot stand the taste of diet sodas so otherwise I just drink water with lemon or green tea (or coffee in the AM and red wine in the PM lol)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OP: I drink diet soda for the calorie saving. I don't give a hoot about the artificial stuff either. The way I see it...everything and anything has been shown to cause cancer, so just let life take it's course and live it. I prefer 0 calories over 200 calories any day. Means I get to use the calories where it counts....in chocolate!
  • AtLeastOnceMore
    AtLeastOnceMore Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    and before everybody loses their mind, i know artificial sugar is terrible for you, there are studies that say yada yada, aspartame causes cancer, etc..

i just want to know if anybody drinks it, or switched to diet from regular soda when they began their journey, if it helped, if you use the calories for another treat.. etc. if you dont,.. then this isnt really meant for you [and good for you! honestly. such a vice]

I'm in the group of people who use soda water with lime/lemon juice. I've never really liked sweet things (hasn't stopped me from getting myself addicted to them, though - darn it), so the tartness of the drink is a big draw for me. Saves calories, can count towards your water for the day and has the added bonus of introducing the acidity of the lime/lemon juice to break down solid fats in your tummy. =)
  • tristaj90
    tristaj90 Posts: 330 Member
    Options
    Diet soda still has sodium and those "harmful chemicals".. I resoved to just drink water and the occasional 100% fruit juice.. maybe kool aid every once in a while.. I honestly do juice like 1 time every 4 months. lol.
    Emphasize which chemicals are harmful.

A.C.E. Certified Personal/Group FitnessTrainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

moreso meant the aspertame....
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Nope! Coke Classic all the way!

That said, it's a rare treat that's usually accompanied by movie popcorn - and that's usually a good fraction of the day's calories. Soooooooooo worth it (to me).

Obviously, YMMV. For someone who drinks a can or more per day, it might be a really nice way to shed calories rather painlessly
  • ythannah
    ythannah Posts: 4,368 Member
    Options
    I drink diet coke everyday.

Not because it's diet but because I prefer the taste.

I have always loved diet coke and if those "studies" are true I will be dead soon...:laugh:

+1

I find regular sugared pop too sickly-syrupy for my liking. When I've had no other beverage options I always cut it with 1/4 club soda to kill some of the sweetness.
  • Stefanny91
    Stefanny91 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    Honestly ... just cut it out completely, I have been addicted to diet pepsi for about a year, and in that year I have put on 40lbs! and obviously its not completly pepsi's fault but I do blame it alot for my never ending appetite. I am now weening myself off it and have had two glasses in the last 3 weeks, and I feel so much better for it not to mention the money I have saved.
  • Stripeness
    Stripeness Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Diet soda still has sodium and those "harmful chemicals".. I resoved to just drink water and the occasional 100% fruit juice.. maybe kool aid every once in a while.. I honestly do juice like 1 time every 4 months. lol.
    Emphasize which chemicals are harmful.

IDEA Fitness member

moreso meant the aspertame....

Actually, colas (diet & not alike) contain phosphoric acid which has been shown to be harmful to bone density. Which no one necessarily cares about until later in life - unless you've seen a friend or family member who's got osteoporosis. It's sneaky, and you "feel fine", yet (from nof.org):

"A woman’s risk of breaking a hip due to osteoporosis is equal to her risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancer combined. And a man age 50 or older is more likely to break a bone due to osteoporosis than he is to get prostate cancer."

Not that I'm hypocritically advocating cola-abstinence (see previous reply!)...just pointing out that a multi-can/day habit really isn't in anyone's best health interests.

*ETA: some studies have shown that the rate of cola-induced bone loss is faster than what can be replaced by weight-bearing exercises and/or medications. I found that sobering, as I like to think lifting heavy can fix anything :-/
  • favoritenut
    favoritenut Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    about the only thing I drink is either diet coke or water and coffee and tea, I can't have milk because dairy upsets my tummy. so for breakfast its been a diet coke for over 25 years!
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    The diet sodas I have seen have too much sodium
    Most have 40mg. How much is too much sodium?

IDEA Fitness member
    If anyone has ever seen a response to this point, please let me know. I see it all the time, but nobody ever comes back and revisits it... :huh:
  • SugarLou57
    SugarLou57 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    No, but I drink Zevia (stevia sweetened zero calorie pop) because I like it. Sometimes I put root beer flavored stevia in water just to get more water in that isn't carbonated and not so boring. I know water is good for me, it's just not my favorite beverage.
  • healthytanya1
    healthytanya1 Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes I drink my diet pop mixed with vodka or whiskey when I want to get drunk. I figure if I'm going to be bad and have a few drinks then I'll help myself a little by using diet.
  • bbg_daryl
    bbg_daryl Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Actually, colas (diet & not alike) contain phosphoric acid which has been shown to be harmful to bone density. Which no one necessarily cares about until later in life - unless you've seen a friend or family member who's got osteoporosis. It's sneaky, and you "feel fine", yet (from nof.org):

"A woman’s risk of breaking a hip due to osteoporosis is equal to her risk of breast, ovarian and uterine cancer combined. And a man age 50 or older is more likely to break a bone due to osteoporosis than he is to get prostate cancer."

Not that I'm hypocritically advocating cola-abstinence (see previous reply!)...just pointing out that a multi-can/day habit really isn't in anyone's best health interests.

*ETA: some studies have shown that the rate of cola-induced bone loss is faster than what can be replaced by weight-bearing exercises and/or medications. I found that sobering, as I like to think lifting heavy can fix anything :-/

I wonder if those studies have ever revealed that cola sometimes has zero effect on a person's bones? Well, probably, but it's hidden somewhere in the percentiles.

What I find so interesting about health and the human body is that things that kill some people quickly have no effects on other people. For example, this information about cola connected with osteoporosis. I'm not doubting the info or anything, I'm sure it's probably true, but then there's people like my mother. My mom's main beverage every single day of her life since childhood has been Coke or Pepsi. Multiple cans and bottles every single day of her life (since probably about 5 or so?) and she's now 65 years old. Her bones are in perfect condition. Could it be that eating a lot of cheese counteracted other effects? We'll probably never know, but isn't it just so amazing?

The same goes for cigarettes and I am not saying anyone should start smoking, this is just an example! My father started smoking when he was 8 years old, was a 2 pack a day smoker most his life, and was running marathons right up until he died at the age of 71. Doctors were always flabbergasted at his perfectly clear lungs. All studies and info dictated that he should've had cancer or emphysema or something. He did die of a heart problem, but the experts that worked on him said that what happened (spontaneous aortic rupture) can happen to anyone of any age and any level of health. So... baffling. So many others I've known have smoked less for shorter period and become very ill.

Sorry for going so far off topic here, I'm just marveling at how some people defy the "laws" of medicine and we'll probably never figure out why or how. *nerd moment*
  • nerdyfitgirl
    Options
    I avoid diet sodas just to avoid the loads of chemicals. I figure there's enough chemicals that we take in anyway why add to it?
  • Oodlez
    Oodlez Posts: 13
    Options
    Personally, I drink these carbonated flavored waters called Sparkling Ice.

They're zero everything and curb my craving for soda. I hate the idea of empty calories (which is all soda is). So why drink a meal away when you can eat it? Lol
  • o0oDeuceo0o
    o0oDeuceo0o Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I used to drink pop all the time and could never touch the diet stuff but since i watched my cals ect ive found coke zero cherry is niiiiiiiice :noway: