I have lower stomach fat even though I'm thin??

Options

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    I recommend doing a lot of sit-ups/ crunches everyday

b58b207dc96cd6bcfc368fb7c87926e7-do-not-dumb-here.jpg
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Then that's the last place you still have body fat and when you lower your body fat even more that will be gone. You can just eat less fat and diet down to that point. Or you can alter your fat to muscle ratio by increasing your muscle mass. I think there's a way to do that. Might wanna ask around.

MIght wanna do some research when recommending eating less and dieting to someone who is already undereating, and then in the same post recommending increasing muscle mass, which would require OP to eat MORE and do strength training. Which, if you'd read the entire thread, is what most of us have been telling her to do all along.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Brad that's interesting. About 5 years ago I was on the Tom Venuto BFFM kick... I was in a simple caloric deficit and I was doing well... I found that I had to seriously lose weight before my love handles and belly were affected... I was also on some OPC-3's and other vascular enhancing vitamins(Which I haven't taken in about 2 years) and I didn't think they were that important... But now that you bring up blood-flow it makes perfect sense that those were my most successful fat burning days... My blood flow was great, I had popping veins and could easily tell it was improved.

The problem is that for me losing weight meant looking gaunt and a little sickly to be honest. I would frequently be told that I was too skinny and that I had taken it too far... But I was eating and I was working out and I felt great. I went from 22% BF to 14% but I was 173 pounds and 6'1...

So the lesson here is to just stick with your dieting and training and perhaps try to enhance your vascular system to enhance your fat burning.

Thanks!

Please reference earlier post with "DO NOT DUMB HERE" sign.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    MyChocolateDiet Posts: 22,281 Member
    Options
    Then that's the last place you still have body fat and when you lower your body fat even more that will be gone. You can just eat less fat and diet down to that point. Or you can alter your fat to muscle ratio by increasing your muscle mass. I think there's a way to do that. Might wanna ask around.

MIght wanna do some research when recommending eating less and dieting to someone who is already undereating, and then in the same post recommending increasing muscle mass, which would require OP to eat MORE and do strength training. Which, if you'd read the entire thread, is what most of us have been telling her to do all along.

I know that. I was just outlining her options. Which she may be considering the first if she is already on that tangent. And I was NOT reccomending her to undereat more, just that she has that option not that it's a good one. I followed up with the good option which would be to increase her muscle mass and instructing her to learn more about that which I already know requires eating more, but that I directed her to "ask around". I'm pretty sure I did everything you suggest I do, but you wanted someone to jump on and the brevity of my post gave you that. I'm glad everyone told her to do just that, and I think my short post only reiterates same.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Word up, Erik.

I assume when you talk about vascularity enhancing vitamins, you mean a supplement meant to enhance blood flow to skeletal muscle, like citrulline-malate or the like.

Keep in mind that (as I mentioned in a previous post), that blood flow to your muscles and blood flow to adipose tissue are not the same, so having a "pump" during a workout doesn't necessarily mean you're going to see better fat burning as a result, nor would taking a supplement that induces a pump independent of your workout window aid in that regard.

The point is, there isn't really a way to enhance blood flow to adipose tissue or to decrease insulin sensitivity (another factor in stubborn fat retention), so it's going to be a matter of patience regardless. What we don't want to see is someone continuing to reduce their calories in an attempt to eliminate a pocket of fat at the expense of their LBM (lean body mass) and their general health.

I won't broach the topic of leptin, except to say that this is another powerful component in losing that last bit of fat and going too low in your caloric intake is sure to reduce the amount of this (fat-burning) hormone that your body is producing.

Sorry, I kind of wandered a bit there.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Brad that's interesting. About 5 years ago I was on the Tom Venuto BFFM kick... I was in a simple caloric deficit and I was doing well... I found that I had to seriously lose weight before my love handles and belly were affected... I was also on some OPC-3's and other vascular enhancing vitamins(Which I haven't taken in about 2 years) and I didn't think they were that important... But now that you bring up blood-flow it makes perfect sense that those were my most successful fat burning days... My blood flow was great, I had popping veins and could easily tell it was improved.

The problem is that for me losing weight meant looking gaunt and a little sickly to be honest. I would frequently be told that I was too skinny and that I had taken it too far... But I was eating and I was working out and I felt great. I went from 22% BF to 14% but I was 173 pounds and 6'1...

So the lesson here is to just stick with your dieting and training and perhaps try to enhance your vascular system to enhance your fat burning.

Thanks!

Please reference earlier post with "DO NOT DUMB HERE" sign.

Oh wow? was this meant at me? Did you actually call ME dumb?
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

Did you even read the OP? :huh:

Yes I did. I was reiterating what her current method is so she can see it in letters and might make it look bad to HER. Sorry if it worked on some of you.
  • ken_m
    ken_m Posts: 128
    Options
    Man, people are feisty on this board...
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options
    Good grief.

Women and men, though vastly different physiologically speaking, should perform the same workout.

Just because you're a woman doesn't mean you have to engage in these insane "boot camp" style workouts.

Squat, deadlift, overhead press, bench press, dumbbell press, crunches, whatever.

Do it all.

You will never catch me doing a "mountain climber" or any of those PT inspired movements. They are a waste of energy, imho

My answer of 'exactly" was to her comment of needing to eat more protein and calories, do less cardio and more heavy lifting.

NO, you're answer is whatever HE says it was, just as you wanted to take my answer and twist it to justify your anger. You seem to have wanted the thread to end at the point where YOU said "exactly" and have the final word. These threads don't work that way. And don't call me dumb. Please. Ever.
  • MyChocolateDiet
    Options

I know, I just tried to write a simple easy to read post to outline for OP her options knowing she'd get to the point of realizing more food is needed and just more chiming in on the positive. PPL in here seemed to feel they were savign her from some kind of fight of which I admit I was unaware was going on?
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options

People get feisty when you take away their cookies and chocolate. :wink:
  • ErikTee
    ErikTee Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Word up, Erik.

I assume when you talk about vascularity enhancing vitamins, you mean a supplement meant to enhance blood flow to skeletal muscle, like citrulline-malate or the like.

Keep in mind that (as I mentioned in a previous post), that blood flow to your muscles and blood flow to adipose tissue are not the same, so having a "pump" during a workout doesn't necessarily mean you're going to see better fat burning as a result, nor would taking a supplement that induces a pump independent of your workout window aid in that regard.

The point is, there isn't really a way to enhance blood flow to adipose tissue or to decrease insulin sensitivity (another factor in stubborn fat retention), so it's going to be a matter of patience regardless. What we don't want to see is someone continuing to reduce their calories in an attempt to eliminate a pocket of fat at the expense of their LBM (lean body mass) and their general health.

I won't broach the topic of leptin, except to say that this is another powerful component in losing that last bit of fat and going too low in your caloric intake is sure to reduce the amount of this (fat-burning) hormone that your body is producing.

Sorry, I kind of wandered a bit there.

I guess I should have said the cardiovascular system. I was just referring to the health of the system. I was taking OPC-3 and some other free radical fighting vitamins as well as eating fruits high on the ORAC list. When I mentioned veins appearing, it was not during workouts that was different.. it was during regular relaxed times... just felt like I had much better blood flow... and there's another way that shows the results too but that doesn't need to be talked about here...

Anyway, I appreciated your thought as it provoked some additional thinking on my part...

Thanks...
  • EuroDivas
    EuroDivas Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Noticed that also. Not new to MfP but the boards.
  • barefootpaleo
    barefootpaleo Posts: 6 Member
    Options
  • DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
  • nikibean123
    nikibean123 Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    After all of that, OP has deactivated her account. Pahaha
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    Have you tried cutting out white processed carbs and sugar? Switching to only 100% whole wheat/grain breads and pastas, brown rice, and non-processed sugars like agave, honey, real maple syrup, stevia, coconut palm sugar etc?

Mine isn't completely gone I definitely have a ways to go, but I only really noticed a reduction in that area once I started trying to cut out as much processed foods as I possibly could. You often hear things like abs are made in the kitchen and from my experience and journey I totally have to agree.

http://www.thefitnessfashionista.com/abs-are-made-in-the-kitchen has some good information.

This is actually exactly what I was thinking. I carry all my weight in my tummy area. You can't spot reduce... it all has to do with genetics where we gain/lose..... lifting heavy will definately help and I would definately say to cut back on the carbs. I only eat bread/pasta/potatoes stuff like that (always whole grain) once/day and MFP is still telling me I'm getting 40% carbs (from the carbs you get from all the OTHER food everyday) so it seems your intake might be a little high since you're getting one in every meal. Good luck!
  • creativehi
    Options
    I would suggest do some sit-ups.
  • creativehi
    Options
    I would suggest do some sit-ups. Do some breathing excersize like exhale your breathe keep your tummy in,and when you inhale the breathe allow to go your tummy out..Dont be tempted on pasta and bread,instead of that take whole wheat grain bread.If you follow the proper diet, and breathing excersize .You will be really benefited.
  • ChrisM8971
    ChrisM8971 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for replying.
    By full body strenght i mean a workout like this:
    http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/92/38/34/923834691ecc6033fd2d2f7414af9e5d.jpg
    Abs:
    http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/6d/e0/80/6de080c9ee149f884138151437d31c7d.jpg
    Arms:
    - Bicep curls
    - Tricep dips
    etc.

So here's what I have to do to lose the weight:
    - Eat more (preferably protein)
    - Less cardio and more strenght (lifting heavy weights with low reps)

Am I right? :)

Sorry not sure how to bold text but what you are being told is not how to "lose the weight". What is being suggested is a way of building more lean body mass and reducing your body fat %

As you are already underweight and not eating enough I think you need to stop focusing on weight and give the suggestion of eating more and more strength training a try and ignore the scales for a bit