What Americans aren't eating

Options

Replies

• bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Why is the recommended for eggs so low??

Because of the medical recommendation for consumption of dietary cholesterol.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this data is affected by the fact our current EBT (food stamps) system allows free will of the card holder to purchase as they please with very limited guidelines and restrictions. Why buy FFV (fresh fruits and vegetables) when you can use the card value to purchase bottled water, Monster Energy drinks, soda, steak and deli items? We do have a WIC voucher system that forces the voucher holder's hand to purchase milk, eggs, beans, grains etc, but the ratio of EBT to WIC recipients is in the range of 9:1.
    How does this differ from the choices I can make and pay for? I'm not following.
    The key phrase is "affected by". Let's put it this way; if the current EBT program did not exist or had heightened restrictions (such as the inability to buy cases of soda, energy drinks, cookies) would this chard look the same. If it followed the WIC program more closely, disallowing garbage food and steering EBT users toward healthy basic options; would the FFV numbers be that insanely low and would beverages be that insanely high?
  • _John_
    _John_ Posts: 8,641 Member
    Options

seafood (talking mainly stuff other than fish that actually comes from the ocean) often gets a bum wrap on dietary recommendations due to dietary cholesterol as well. It's really misinformation, as certain seafoods have great nutritional benefit otherwise.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one confused by the recommended intake of soup?!

Yeah, I don't get it...what's wrong with soup that the recommended is so low? It's an easy one pot meal where I can get a lot of veg and protein. I make a ton of soups and stews in the winter...maybe it's processed canned soup? I don't eat much of that, but I make massive batches of homemade soups and stews in the winter...easy, efficient, and cost effective way to feed the family and get nutrition.
    Well, the USDA would also have no idea if you're taking your fresh foods home and making soup, so I guess it's premade soups. That's likely limited because of sodium? I'm just surprised that there's a recommendation for soup at all. Where the hell are my recommendations for souffles or mixed bean salads?!
  • Slacker16
    Slacker16 Posts: 1,184 Member
    Options
    Which foods aren't grown in the US? I'm irish so I wouldn't know.
    the fish and vegetables and fruit are what stood out to me the most, and those are (sadly on the fish especially for most of america) largely imported.

Can depend on season for the veggies and fruit though, as a lot are grown in the US.
    FYI, the US exports way more fish, apples and oranges than it imports.

http://www.indexmundi.com/agriculture/
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I wonder if this data is affected by the fact our current EBT (food stamps) system allows free will of the card holder to purchase as they please with very limited guidelines and restrictions. Why buy FFV (fresh fruits and vegetables) when you can use the card value to purchase bottled water, Monster Energy drinks, soda, steak and deli items? We do have a WIC voucher system that forces the voucher holder's hand to purchase milk, eggs, beans, grains etc, but the ratio of EBT to WIC recipients is in the range of 9:1.

LOL. Have you ever tried to budget with food stamps?
    No, I budget with my own income. My monthly grocery expenses are close to and sometimes less than the average monthly EBT benefit given to a family with a single parent with child (In Wisconsin). So have I ever had to budget with free money, "no". Have I ever had to budget within the same financial range, "All the time".

And you manage to get soda, steaks and deli items for yourself and your child on that $266? I think the 13% of households who use food stamps some time of the year make similar budgeting decisions to yours. Once that money is gone, it's gone and there isn't any more money for food.
  • IPAkiller
    IPAkiller Posts: 711 Member
    Options

LOL. Have you ever tried to budget with food stamps?
    No, I budget with my own income. My monthly grocery expenses are close to and sometimes less than the average monthly EBT benefit given to a family with a single parent with child (In Wisconsin). So have I ever had to budget with free money, "no". Have I ever had to budget within the same financial range, "All the time".

And you manage to get soda, steaks and deli items for yourself and your child on that $266? I think the 13% of households who use food stamps some time of the year make similar budgeting decisions to yours. Once that money is gone, it's gone and there isn't any more money for food.
    I don't drink soda and don't make it available to my daughter, get steak on the rare occasion it's on sale and don't shop the deli. I watch sales, buy generic (unless the sale prices are cheaper for NB) and buy in bulk. I have a small weekly for FFV, milk, bread and eggs.

Single parent with one child receives over $400 monthly in the State of Wisconsin (in addition to other benefits healthcare, housing, etc). If you think they follow a budget and spend as wisely as I do, you've never stood behind a EBT user in the Wal-Mart checkout or have actual acquaintances who use and abuse the system and go into great detail (almost proud) of their alternative usages.

I'm not saying there aren't honest people who need the programs and purchase wisely. I'm just saying I don't see them because the abuse and mismanagement is so rampant.

"Once that money is gone, it's gone and there isn't any more money for food." true... oh wait, except for the "live in BF/sister/cousin" who kicks them cash on the side for rent. Or the cash from the side work they do. Or possible the revenue generated from ventures they are unable to report the IRS or the DEA will come knocking.
  • NickeeCoco
    Options
    Hey John (and btw I love your pic),

You're right...this time of year we are getting alot of our produce from Central and South America, although if you look carefully, you can still find some items grown in the U.S.. California, Texas, and Florida have a few areas that can support farming year-round.

Well, I live in Canada, and I have a year round kitchen garden. As in, I harvest things like broccoli, brussel sprouts, arugula, spinach, leeks, carrots, kale, and chard in the winter, when there's snow. You don't need a green house either, just some wood to make a frame and an old window or windowed door to put on top of it.

It's not so much about places that can support year round farming, it's that consumers are buying and demanding unseasonable produce and fruit. That creates the importing. That's what creates the market.

I recently saw a really good documentary called "The Future of Food", and about how, most likely, we're all going to be forced to change our diets to local and seasonal in the next 20 years because our planet can't keep up with the demand we're throwing at it right now. Otherwise world hunger will skyrocket, and the gap between classes will increase incredibly. More and more people aren't going to be able to afford food. Very good documentary.

http://ww3.tvo.org/program/166031/the-future-of-food/#2010
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options

seafood (talking mainly stuff other than fish that actually comes from the ocean) often gets a bum wrap on dietary recommendations due to dietary cholesterol as well. It's really misinformation, as certain seafoods have great nutritional benefit otherwise.
    A little different in Canada......there's no restriction on dietary cholesterol.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    How does this differ from the choices I can make and pay for? I'm not following.
    The key phrase is "affected by". Let's put it this way; if the current EBT program did not exist or had heightened restrictions (such as the inability to buy cases of soda, energy drinks, cookies) would this chard look the same. If it followed the WIC program more closely, disallowing garbage food and steering EBT users toward healthy basic options; would the FFV numbers be that insanely low and would beverages be that insanely high?
    So what you're saying, if I understand you, is that the folks using EBT don't eat fresh foods and that the should be required to, or rather that their benefits should be monitored and limited to certain foods deemed appropriate?
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    i spend more of fruit and veggies then anything else.. I used to eat more fish, but since there is lack of wild caught here and it's all radioactive now anyway.. That is the one category I would be way off in.
  • Confuzzled4ever
    Confuzzled4ever Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options

I agree that a lot of these items are unhealthy and not really food and shouldn't be allowed with food stamps, HOWEVER you can get a lot more "junk" food then you can fresh produce and meat for your dollar.. and with such a limited amount of funds to work with. Its' more important to eat, then it is to eat healthy.

WIC is only for women who have kids under 5. and is severely limited, you have to purchase more food or you'd starve. I don't see how that would make a huge difference overall.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I agree that a lot of these items are unhealthy and not really food and shouldn't be allowed with food stamps, HOWEVER you can get a lot more "junk" food then you can fresh produce and meat for your dollar.. and with such a limited amount of funds to work with. Its' more important to eat, then it is to eat healthy.

I know it varies by state, but ...

My parents were on food stamps for a short time when I was a baby and my dad was in grad school and they managed to buy healthy, fresh foods, cook from scratch and have money left at the end of each month. And I have friends who were able to do the same.

I worked as a grocery store cashier for a couple years and very, very few people on assistance ever did that. Do that job for a while in an area where you get a decent amount of food stamp recipients and you'll see what I mean.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options
    I went to a Japanese hibachi place once and the cook at our table was latino. He did make the onion volcano but didn't squirt sake in our mouths. The terrorists have already won. 'Merica is doomed. On a more sane note I don't care where my food is grown. Just make it cheap and yummy.

That bolded statement shows how much of a disconnect we have with the food supply and the sad state of affairs of this country.

Unbelievable.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So what you're saying, if I understand you, is that the folks using EBT don't eat fresh foods and that the should be required to, or rather that their benefits should be monitored and limited to certain foods deemed appropriate?

Yeah, that's a slippery slope.

I've always thought it would be nice to require nutrition classes for those using EBT, like with WIC. Except for the higher taxes to pay for the classes. :ohwell:
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Its' more important to eat, then it is to eat healthy.

Not when the stuff you put in your mouth is doing more harm than good. If you're really broke, it's still not THAT hard to get food that's better for you than pizza rolls and soda. Rice and beans are cheap and not UNhealthy. There are plenty of pork cuts that are inexpensive and full of good nutrition. Eggs are fairly cheap, etc.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    I've always thought it would be nice to require nutrition classes for those using EBT, like with WIC. Except for the higher taxes to pay for the classes. :ohwell:

Those are tax hikes I'd gladly pay for.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have no clue what he's talking about. The US is a big country...there aren't many foods we can't grow somewhere in the country.

fruits and veggies are often grown seasonally...the US doesn't cover both the north and southern hemispheres...most of our typical grocery stores change very little in the fruits and veggies offered...you do the math.
    Do you know you can't find Florida oranges in Florids grocery stores? You can buy locally-grown ones at farmer's markets and stuff, but we have Californian and Mexican oranges in gorcery stores. They ship ours to other states. SMH.

That's very interesting to me, considering all the citrus diseases that can be passed through fruit. Texas is a citrus-producing state, so we have very strict guidelines for importing Florida oranges. I would think it would be easiest to sell Florida oranges in Florida, considering that there would be no interstate commerce to deal with.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I'm American and I have no clue what he's talking about. The US is a big country...there aren't many foods we can't grow somewhere in the country.

fruits and veggies are often grown seasonally...the US doesn't cover both the north and southern hemispheres...most of our typical grocery stores change very little in the fruits and veggies offered...you do the math.
    Do you know you can't find Florida oranges in Florids grocery stores? You can buy locally-grown ones at farmer's markets and stuff, but we have Californian and Mexican oranges in gorcery stores. They ship ours to other states. SMH.

That's very interesting to me, considering all the citrus diseases that can be passed through fruit. Texas is a citrus-producing state, so we have very strict guidelines for importing Florida oranges. I would think it would be easiest to sell Florida oranges in Florida, considering that there would be no interstate commerce to deal with.
    I have no idea. I don't grow them or sell them, so I don't know how the economics work. But it makes me sad because we have yummy oranges.
  • GingerLolita
    GingerLolita Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    This chart didn't surprise me at all. It's exactly what I thought the average American bought at the grocery store. I'm just glad I make better decisions than this.