need help from FORMER SMOKERS!

Options

Replies

• stellcorb
    stellcorb Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I went cold turkey about 16 months ago, after smoking for 25 years. My thought (and many disagree with me but so what?) is that if you're going to use an e-cigarette why bother quitting at all? But I digress...

When I quit, I totally went crazy. I couldn't sleep because my body was vibrating from all the energy I had. I cried for weeks. The only thing that saved me was working out hard. I didn't know where else to put that energy. Also "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" by Allen Carr helped me and about ten of my friends. Amazing book, available online everywhere.

You can do this. If I can do it, so can you. Be prepared to take your first real down-to-the-bottom-of-your-lungs deep breath since you started. Smokers can't do that. It's a life change but it sounds like you're ready.

Smoked 14 years and I read The Easy Way and quit cold turkey almost 3 years ago. I was ready and to tell you the truth, I don't really miss it anymore... I get a twinge here and there, but as soon as I realized that quitting meant never smoking again... it made it easier to avoid. I can even go out w/ my friends that smoke and be fine...
    It's a hard decision to make, but once it's REALLY made, it's easier.
  • j0705
    j0705 Posts: 185
    Options
    cold turkey , nicotine gum helps , most use vape /e-cigs now.. at least your not smoking .
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Quitting was the hardest thing I've ever done (not made any easier by the fact my husband & mom continue to smoke.) It was totally worth it. I smoked a pack a day for 10+years and have been a non-smoker for 15 years. Every so often I have a blip of wanting a smoke, but my safety net is "no touching." I won't even move my husbands cigarettes from the car to the counter. One drag and I would be hooked again. If I don't touch, I don't smoke.

*Pray and ask friends to pray for you
    *Tell everyone you are quitting smoking, especially anyone you've hidden it from
    *Change ALL your patterns- who you eat lunch with at work, where you park, the corner you light up at..... any pattern you've had that was a trigger to smoke must be changed
    *Plan ahead for temptation- what will you do? Be specific. (IE: 20 deep breaths, repeat a scripture, call a friend,drink a glass of water, write in a journal & vent, list positive's you'll gain after you are free of it)
    *Look into things that will physically calm and help you at the health food store like Kava tea or others or talk with your Dr.

I remember feeling like I didn't know who I was without a cigarette in my hand. It was part of my identity. I began to realize that I was the exact same person I've always been right after every cig I smoked and put out. Until I had a new pattern of living I frequently imagined that I just smoked, put it out and now was going to do what I normally would have. Make sense?

Finally, I don't want to be harsh here, but as an ex-smoker living with a heavy smoker who has unsuccessfully tried to quit a few times, please don't abuse your friends and family while you are going through this process. Yes, quitting can be a big challenge, and it may have to be for you so you'll never go back, but you cannot give in to emotional fits and expect others to deal with it. It's not right. You made the choice to start smoking and I'm sure you knew the possible consequences at the time. This does not give you license unleash on those around you and behave without self control.

Maybe instead of asking for their patience and support as you quit regarding your emotions you could ask their understanding for you excusing yourself until you get your composure back and return. If they are telling you to have a cig because they are frustrated with your behavior, you need to understand that you are not treating them properly.

You can do it. You will be fine. This is only for a short time. You've accomplished other hard things and this is no different. You'll be ok!! :)
  • dawnsjourney
    dawnsjourney Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I watched my sister lay in a hospital bed on a ventilator because she couldn't breath because of smoking. I told myself then and there that I would NOT go down that way. I quit. Never looked back. It was tough. But I did it. Used the patch for a while, but not long. After 6 months I was able to buy a new SUV! The money I saved was tremendous! That was almost 4 years ago and smoked for almost 30 years! If I can do it, so can you!
  • debsinnit
    Options
    Cold Turkey ....... first three days are hell, first three weeks are tough.

9 months as a non smoker and now trying to lose the 18llbs that I gained - struggling with trying to kick start metabolism nothing seems to be working !!
  • _MG_
    _MG_ Posts: 453 Member
    Options
    For me it was cold turkey. I was bad with tobacco. I would have a dip in and be smoking at the same time. It was about actually wanting to do it...not just thinking "maybe I should quit."

Driving to work one day I said "F#^# it I'm done."

Even though it was easy - it wasn't. Call it what you want what I really missed was the act of smoking - not the nicotine. That was 15 years ago and not a day goes by that I don't jones for a smoke. Chewing on toothpicks helped a bunch. Unfortunately so did eating. That was the start of all my weight gain - so watch it. I substituted toothpicks for cigarettes to handle the "oral fixation." I still have them available today. I have a box n my car, the wife's car, at my work desk, home desk, and beside my bed.

They are much cheaper than smokes and not nearly as bad for you. I used to chew them all the time, now it's just occasionally.

Best of luck to you and I hope you find the way that works for you.
  • kmcgallery
    kmcgallery Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your sister- what a horrible thing. She may have saved your life.
  • JCLondonUK
    Options
    Ecigs here too. I didn't even mean to give up smoking - I just got an ecig to play with, and never smoked cigarettes again. Utterly painless! It's fantastic. :smile:
  • aprilwilliams2729
    aprilwilliams2729 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I smoked for over 10 years - quit February 2010. Welbutrin helped with the cravings, but I think it was mostly that I just really was at a place in my life that I wanted to quit! We were trying to start a family and I knew the cigarettes weren't helping. I have to admit that I still had one here or there until I got pregnant with my son, but none since. - and that's been nearly 3 years ago!
  • brookielaw
    brookielaw Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    After 17 years I quit with a group. I am the only one of the 4 who is not smoking or on the e-cig. I think I did the e-cig for a few days and then decided I was done. Honestly you have to be more stubborn than the cigarettes. Do things where you need to push your lungs.

It is hard, but it is possible. I quit May 1, 2012 and started working on other health stuff around November 2012 and managed to drop 151 lbs by eating right and working out. (I am mentioning this because I am proof that no, you don't automatically gain weight when you quit. That's just silly). Keep your mind strong, get your body strong. Good luck, you can do it!
  • whomanbeen
    whomanbeen Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    You seriously have to get past the psychological addiction. The physical addiction is hard enough, but the patterns you set in place are the biggest triggers to get past. Like smoking after meals or as soon as you get in the car. I got to the point I could not stand the way it made me smell, I was finding it nauseating so this made it easier for me to quit after 28years of smoking. I quit 8 years ago and haven't looked back. You will have to accept that there is no magic pill, or system to make you stop. It is all you. Once you remember you are in control of yourself, overcoming the drive to smoke again will be easier as time goes on.

Don't give in so easy, lower the amount of nicotine in your system over time. When a craving hits take 1-2 puffs, put it out and walk away. Don't smoke the whole thing save the rest for the next cry fit. Give it several hours between puffs though. By the end of the cigarette it will begin to taste horrible and smell as nice. As i was smoking the one or two puffs i envisioned myself having to put my finger over the trachyotomy hole to tell my 2 children to stop fighting. This was added motivation to quit since they were both young and I didn't want to expose them to second hand smoke any more than I already had.
  • greengoddess0123
    greengoddess0123 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Cold turkey really is the best way. Withdrawal will only last a little while. You won't be a ***** forever (even though it will feel like it to you and everyone around you -- haha).

One thing that helped me quit for good was having a pack of herbal cigarettes. You can find these at most tobacco shops. They have herbs in them like wild lettuce, red clover, mullein, coltsfoot, etc. There's nothing addictive in them (make sure you get tobacco-free!), so they won't satisfy your physical cravings like a regular cigarette would.

The way the herbal cigarettes helped me was that, at first, when I was going through withdrawals, they gave me something to smoke; a way to take a break, to help me feel like I still can do that. After about a week, they lost their appeal, since they don't have that addictive nicotine to keep me coming back. They got disappointing, and were easy to put down after that.

You can do this. It's hard and it sucks, but only for a little while. You will love being a non-smoker. :)
  • jaxxie2013
    jaxxie2013 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    like most people on here....i did it cold turkey....been smoke free for 4 months now....after smoking for almost 18 years. and yes...i did put on weight after that.....almost 20lb.
  • smc864
    smc864 Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    I quit cold turkey... the only way that worked for me.
  • mmartinez_az
    Options
    So I am trying to quit smoking, I have cut down drastically from over a pack a day to about 6 or 7. I have tried numerous times, Ive done the patch, chantix, gum etc. I recently tried the ecig and that left me with the worst chest pains so I just went back to smoking. I want to quit, I hate smoking, I want to be able to work out HARD!
    I go crazy when I dont smoke, everything makes me cry. Things get broken. I turn into such a B****, the people who are in my corner, who want me to quit, actually TELL me to go smoke.
    Those who have actually quit, how did you do it!?!?

Do cocaine! lol
  • ajchiola
    Options
    I quit 6 years ago after 20+ years and a few failed attempts. I finally set my mind to it, got Chantix, and stuck to it. Took the Chantix for only a month and wasn't impressed with it, but realized that it would probably have been much worse without it. There are many tricks to stave off the cravings. The one I found worked the best was to take big, deep breathes whenever I felt wanted that lung full of smoke. Take in as much air as you can, then, take in some more, and more, and more until you just can't get any more in. It really worked for me. As for the people around you, if they love you and really care about you being successful then they will accept every meltdown you have. I quit not only for myself but for my wife and two beautiful daughters. I wanted to be there for them for as long as possible. That was my motivation. And they put up with one big, miserable *kitten* during the process. You can do it. Every milestone will also help keep you motivated. Imagine the years of life, not to mention money, you'll save. You just have to set your mind to it and be ready. Good Luck!
    (quitnet.com also helped a lot.)
  • EddieHaskell97
    EddieHaskell97 Posts: 2,227 Member
    Options
    God, I would have loved to have used Chantix. I was about to get it until I was "reminded" that if I took Chantix once, the FAA would yank my pilot's license. Cold turkey it was... Three of the most difficult days of my life, but hopefully, those three days saved it, too.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I quit over 18 years ago, it was hard. I tried the patches, I started chewing gum
  • drangonfly2323
    drangonfly2323 Posts: 197 Member
    Options
    I smoked for a long time and when I quit I bought a bag of Dum Dums. I was a habit smoker and smoked at the same time every day so when I would want a cig. I would instead have a sucker. Maybe wasn't the best way to quit but it was better than smoking.
  • TrevNiel22
    Options
    I had quit for maybe 1.5-2years and recently began again.
    what had made me quit was ended up getting strep throat.
    I had a few smokes after I got healthy but overall I just told myself
    I didn't want to smoke anymore, so just stopped picking up decks.