Replies

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Pear and almond butter
    Apples, cinnamon
    Almond butter and jelly
    Always add like one tsp of sugar.

I often add half a scoop of vanilla protein powder too.
  • norcalskater
    norcalskater Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I like to add brown sugar and sometimes peanut butter.
  • mortgagegirl1
    mortgagegirl1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    1/2 cup oats, 1/2 cup egg whites, 1/2 cup fruit.

Blend together and put in frying pan to pancakes. Drizzle with maple syrup.
  • angelmlewis13
    Options
    I use 1/2c old fashioned oats 1/2c water. Microwave 1.5min. Add 1/2c frozen blueberries, microwave 1min. Top with a 1/4 cup greek nonfat vanilla yogurt. Very satisfying.
  • nicor44
    nicor44 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Usually the liquid is half water, half skim or almond milk. My go-to additions are cinnamon and a few raisins and slivered almonds. Unless I have leftover pumpkin puree from a recipe, then I stir in about a tablespoon of that and some pumpkin pie spice.

If I'm cooking up a batch of steel cut to have over a few days, I finely dice an apple and reduce the liquid just a bit. The apple almost dissolves into the oats, and I just add cinnamon.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I cook 4 servings (1 cup) steel cut oats in the crockpot with 3 cups water, 1 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk, 1/2 cup raisins and copious sprinklings of cinnamon, nutmeg and ground ginger.

Sometimes I nuke a serving or two with a banana - sooo good!

This week I'm thinking of using blueberries instead of raisins but will add them after the batch cools so they don't get mushy.
  • burlingtongrl
    burlingtongrl Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I usually add fresh pears or apples cut up into tiny pieces. I see now that I have really been missing out; love the ideas.
  • karlyy_mc
    karlyy_mc Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Brown Sugar or Honey, Sunflower seeds( any seeds make for an amazing touch of crunch), flax seed's good for the protein too. Or just go old school with water+milk :-) Porridge for brekkie FTW!
  • davelibertyjones
    Options
    Raisins, flour, spices, baking soda, then I bake them as cookies.
  • licktat
    licktat Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I read some of your oatmeal additions, and played with my bland oatmeal, and created... Ambrosia.
    I have been loving MFP and it works for me. I had a sweet tooth before MFP, and even though I don't crave as many sweets and desserts, I have to find ways to satisfy the itch. I had been putting honey in my cream of wheat, and brown sugar in my oatmeal. Because of Y'all, I made my oatmeal with Almond milk, and added a dollop of Greek good honey yogurt, blueberries, and a little brown sugar.
    It was like eating dessert. I have to quantify it in my food additions to cover the bases, but it he ingredients are all healthy, and I get tons of energy for cardio. I might try it without the brown sugar, but a teaspoon isn't that much and I like it in the background.
    The funny thing is that I am NOT a tree hugging hot planet guy. I'm a hard working testosterone knuckle dragger, so I can't tell my friends I eat this stuff.
  • rondaj05
    rondaj05 Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    A lot of great ideas!
  • lmd_1979
    lmd_1979 Posts: 130
    Options
    I have 40g Quaker oats with semi-skimmed milk and usually chopped Bananas, Honey or Greek Yoghurt.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    I like using a mix of cinnamon, raisins, a little brown sugar, freshly grounded flax & chia seeds and vanilla protein powder (if I need it for the day) with my steel cut oatmeal.

I also make cookies with rolled oats with the same combination.
  • dankas001
    dankas001 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    jam
  • TracieWomble
    TracieWomble Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I get a bag of frozen forest fruits and put 80g in the bottom of a bowl and nuke for 30 seconds then pour the hot oatmeal over the top - its BRILLIANT
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    Honey!
  • avemaryama
    avemaryama Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I love my oat meal,

what i add depends on the day. My recurring ingredients are, little bit of salt (you wouldn't believe the difference a tiny tiny amount makes), soy/almond/camel milk. Brown sugar/Maple syrup, all manner of fruit except mango pineapple and kiwi, Cinnamon/cardamom/nutmeg/cloves,
  • fbmandy55
    fbmandy55 Posts: 5,263 Member
    Options
    I eat the kind in the packets, my local grocery store has a kind with pecans in it that I love. It's pretty bland so I add a TBSP of PB for flavor and protein.
  • shellygressett
    shellygressett Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    3 T of egg whites, honey, berries, cinnamon, PB2 or just plain peanut butter.
  • redheaddee
    redheaddee Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    Any and all dried berries. Oatmeal on it's own has an unpleasant texture (i am weird about food textures) so I need some meatiness to my oatmeal.