Fat cats, and people who feed them....

Options
fitniknik
fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
My cat is Obese... I am Obese.... Coincidence?

I have no idea!

I eat (or used to eat) everything and anything. I can understand why I get fat.
She could eat nothing but cat food forever and ever and never get bored with it, crave chocolate, deed doughnuts, or the like.
I can cut back on the food she gets, but I know EXACTLY how she feels....
In fact, If I do that, I am the one who suffers with a winy cat outside my bedroom door all night!

The point here is....
If I cant get my cat to lose weight (who remember, eats only crunchy, stinky, unappetizing food), HOW in the world can I get myself to lose weight!?
I control what I eat and what she eats! NO wonder cats are often couch potatoes if their owners are.

Im glad Im here. I wish they had one for my cat...

Does anyone have overweight animals as well?
Any Ideas anyone?

Can use all the help I can get!

Replies

• LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Don't free feed. IDK if you are, but your animals should have meals, just like you, and if there is constantly food available, they will definitely get obese!

I used to overfeed my cats, thinking I was "treating" them. Now I have adjusted my thinking. It isn't kind to allow them to harm their health, and shorten their lives. My cats eat very little, a few tablespoons for breakfast and again for dinner. That's it. They are a healthy weight now.

Good luck!
  • ickybella
    ickybella Posts: 1,438 Member
    Options
    When I moved in with my husband, then my fiance, our cat was overweight. Now, only one of us feeds her (me, of course :grumble: ) and only one bowl of food twice a day. She's really persistent. She will meow at you all day, and come up, get up on her hind legs, and pat you on the arm, then run into the kitchen and stare at her food bowl until you feed her. I figure she'll quit eventually, right? It's only been six months....

By the way, she's much smaller now. God knows what and how often they were feeding her.
  • TheNewJessieMae
    Options
    My cat is 23lbs. WOW He is SOOOOOO fat, but I have another one who is full grown but only about 7lbs and she eats way more than he does. I think just like with humans, some of the animals issues are genectis/DNA/Decided chromosomes. Who knows.
  • catcrazy
    catcrazy Posts: 1,740 Member
    Options
    I had a lovely slim ginger tom, I then had him neutered and it seemed like he became depressed. He used to sit for hours in one spot in the middle of the garden, barely moving. He was nearly 2 stone at his heaviest, cutting back his food just saw him sitting in the same spot in the grass eating bugs slugs and worms that came his way. His mood does finally seem to be lifting, hes even begun purring again and the weight is slowly going. Kind of feel guilty for getting him done but I know it was the most sensible thing to do...he just seemed to suffer adversely
  • mommyhof3
    mommyhof3 Posts: 551 Member
    Options
    I have 4 cats. They all get fed the same and 2 are fat and 2 are normal. They are free fed (have food all day long) so I can't help you. I figure if they are happy and healthy leave them be :smile:
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Additional Info....
    I have a pet feeder that feeds her less than a half a cup of food every 12 hours... :huh:
  • HerBravado
    HerBravado Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    :[ My cat is overweight ! Loo used to be a slender cat that liked to play about often,
    now he mostly lays around (like me!) & eats whenever he can.
    I attributed it to the fact that I feed him literally every time he meows, & I'll give him the wet cat food instead of the dry all the time. For some reason, I feel like it's more fattening...
    ...then again, it's probably my fault, feeding him so much !
    So for now I give him one can per day...(along with dry food meals, of course) & I try to ignore him when he begs; though it's so hard.
    But you know.
    I never actually thought of the correlation between my pet's weight & my own.
    Interesting.
  • Edestiny7
    Edestiny7 Posts: 730 Member
    Options
    Our female cat has always had a weight issue. We feed her on a timed schedule twice a day, a measured amount. We have an automatic feeding unit that measures it out at the appropriate times. We have been feeding her Wellness CORE because she was having bathroom issues in the house and we were trying to get her on a more protein diet.
  • AndriaLL
    AndriaLL Posts: 162
    Options
    I have a big fat orange cat, Pumpkin, who literally eats 1/4 C. of food a day. That's it. He's still obese. Thyroid and all that are normal. Our other cat, Stella, weighs just under 4 lbs., is skinny as can be (no health issues), and we leave food out for her all day long and she definitely eats more than Pumpkin does. She lives upstairs, Pumpkin lives downstairs and she usually wins the fight when he tries to come up and raid her food (because he's relatively slow) so I don't think he gets away with much. Seems mostly genetic to me.
  • sing1998
    sing1998 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    i was just out feeding my 8 horses and barn cat and pondering why my animals are always thin. i was thin into my 30's. i've put weight on over the years (i'm in my 50's) and am not used to being hefty. i only have about 10 more lbs to lose to get to a really slim weight. for animals, i'm very strict. i don't feel a bit bad if my cat vocalizes or my dogs look at me with big brown eyes. they get their kibble and a few treats each day but that's it. they all stay healthy and i feel good about that. don't assume your cat is meowing for food. try ignoring and after a week or so she may give up. increase her activity with toys. there's so many great interactive toys and it's fun to watch, too.
  • NoAdditives
    NoAdditives Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Like others have said, don't free feed. But, some cats need that. If my two cats can't eat throughout the day and night they will vomit when they do get to eat. You can also try playing with your cat more. Get some fun new toys, maybe a play structure or even a friend!
  • alwardt
    alwardt Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Play with your cat. Throw a ball down the hall. Let the cat chase. Most cats won't fetch (however, I have one that will), so now is your opportunity to run down the hall to retrieve the ball and throw again! Both of you will exercise and sleep better.
  • FoamyRiver
    FoamyRiver Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I have one cat who is at a healthy weight, around 10 pounds. I put about 1/4 cup of food in her dish every evening and it lasts her until the next evening. It works for her.
    Now, I know this is about cats but my problem is with one of my dogs. This past spring we adopted a Jack Russel (Leroy) from a rescue group. The lady we got him from not only fed him kibble but gave him all kinds of table scraps too. He was fat and had no "waist" at all. I took him to the vet who said Leroy needed to lose about 3lbs; he weighed 17lbs. We started measuring his food (Iams Weight Control), only feeding him in the morning, and we eliminated all people food. When I took him back a month later he weighed 16lbs. Yeah! We were on the right track.
    In July I went on vacation with my mother and aunt and Leroy stayed home with my husband. Everyday my DH would come home to find something else Leroy had gotten into and eaten. At first I thought he was acting out because I was gone since I was his primary care giver. But now I can't leave anything on the table or on my countertops.
    He has eaten everything from a whole loaf of bread to a bag of chips to a package of tortillas. The Friday before Halloween we had a snack day at work and I brought my husband home 4 donuts and 6 pieces of (his favorite) strawberry cake with cream cheese icing. Everything was in the donut box and I sat it on my countertop thinking it would be okay. We went out to dinner, but returned home to find the box on the floor empty! We were only gone a few hours!
    I'm being more diligent about making sure everything is in the cabinets or pantry and am taking Leroy with me when I go walking at the local park but his weight just doesn't seem to be coming off.
    Maybe some of the suggestions for cats will work for Leroy too. :happy:
  • elainegsd
    elainegsd Posts: 459 Member
    Options
    I'm overweight (much less so than I was a year ago, but still...). I currently have my 5th German Shepherd Dog living with me. None of them have ever been overweight by more than a couple of pounds for a short period of time. Several of my foster dogs have either been significantly overweight or significantly underweight. All of them left my home closer to their ideal weight.

Bottom line: It is MUCH easier controlling the weight of my dogs than it is controlling my own weight. If I put less in their bowls, they lose weight. If I taper back gradually, they don't really even notice it.

If you feel guilty doing this, keep reminding yourself that you are doing this so that they can be a part of your life for a VERY LONG TIME. Tell them that you are here on MFP so that you can be a part of their life for a VERY LONG TIME.
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    I'm thin - my cat is not!!!! I even have her on an automatic cat feeder; she gets about 1/3 of a cup twice a day. My husband gives her treats at night. She is just big boned and I love her!!!!!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I have 4 cats and they're all different in terms of weight, it does vary just like with people :)
  • catcrazy
    Options
    Like others have said, don't free feed. But, some cats need that. If my two cats can't eat throughout the day and night they will vomit when they do get to eat. You can also try playing with your cat more. Get some fun new toys, maybe a play structure or even a friend!

All 5 of mine are sick if not free fed. if I come down in the morning and the food bowls are empty I get the kitchen roll, anti bac spray and a couple of plastic trays ready to try and catch the inevitable. Fun fun fun with 5 of them! I have1 fat cat, I solid muscle cat, 2 normal weight and a skinny minnie who I feed kitten food to because she only picks so need higher calorie food. Strangely my household is made up of me being fat, one child being slightly heavy (but within normal range) 2 normal weight and a skinny...I do think its just a coincidence tho as its a normal weight and the skinny minnie cats that are my babies (sleep with me, cry at the door if they can't follow me etc)
  • BoresEasily
    Options
    Like humans cats need enough calories to survive and they probably store fat in a similar way. I have a morbidly obese cat and a smaller cat. The bag suggests I feed my gigantor 1 and 1/3 cups a day... Up till recently he was probably getting way more than that. My other cat is free fed and his bowl is put up out of my other cat's reach. I'm going to see about cutting him down to 1/4 cup 4 times a day. I wouldn't dare feed him less than a cup a day at his current weight.
  • princessorchid
    princessorchid Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    My cat used to be overweight, and I was confuzzled as I never fed her overly much - enough, but not heaps! Well, the little bugger is a semi-outdoor cat, and I discovered she was getting fed at more than 3 other houses!

I moved house about 5 years ago and she's been steadily losing the pounds since then. I guess my current neighbours aren't cat people ;-)!
  • catcrazy
    Options
    My cat used to be overweight, and I was confuzzled as I never fed her overly much - enough, but not heaps! Well, the little bugger is a semi-outdoor cat, and I discovered she was getting fed at more than 3 other houses!

I moved house about 5 years ago and she's been steadily losing the pounds since then. I guess my current neighbours aren't cat people ;-)!

Yep, you can put your cat on a diet but if they go out you ultimately have no control. My "dieting" fat cat wasn't going to neighbours he was eating insects and and slugs in the grass. The vet said I'm better off upping his food again as slugs would cause a major problem if they had eaten slug pellets