Replies

• IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Which 'waist' are we talking?
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I see what you're saying :) People have told me before I need to stop caring about the numbers and care about how i look and feel about myself

One thing that helped me after I reached my initial goal (I was really big before so 250 was actually a goal) was to switch to being more performance oriented in regards to overal fitness first and number oriented (measurements, scale) second. I think the scale and measurements will follow if you push yourself in whatever you do for fitness, especially if you lift.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The other issue is it depends on where you naturally store your fat, and in extreme ends of bodybuilding, hypertrophy can give a larger belly.
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Average measurements are for average people. Are you taller or shorter than average? By how much?

People who are significantly taller than average will be bigger in all their measurements. It's not WRONG to weigh "more than average" if you are taller than average. Same for a waist measurement.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Apparently a 25 inch waist is about a size 8... thats where I am aiming!

Err, no. I have a 26 inch waist and wear a size 2 ...

I came from a size 8 and had a 31 inch waist at the time (and the size 8 waists were usually a little big - my hips and thighs made me size up from a 6).
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    My husband is a 38 waist; he's 5' 10.5" and weighs 218lbs. 90% of his weight is carried around his midsection. His doc has advised him to lose about 35lbs.
  • bacitracin
    bacitracin Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I don't care about inches, what's your body fat percentage?
  • VeroJuly
    VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    if your boob reach the door frame before your belly, then you are okay.
  • VeroJuly
    VeroJuly Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Just realized you are a man, sorry, if your boobs reach the door frame before your belly than you are NOT okay!
  • GeeWillickers
    GeeWillickers Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I don't care about inches, what's your body fat percentage?

^^ This. I'm almost 6'3" and 34.5" waist. Frankly, there is no one size fits all. You will drive yourself crazy trying to fit into some broad generalized statistical assumption. Body fat is a better indicator for health than BMI, waist, etc. I use Hamwi method for my bodyweight with a large frame selection.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    Go find those height to waist ratio calculators. I did one random one for you and you got:

Your Waist-to-Height Ratio is :
    Healthy, Normal, Attractive Weight

Now, you'll find studies that say under 40's need to be under 50, but some say just above that, etc, like most science. You are definitely in the healthy ballpark, so the rest depends on your personal view of the theories and your own look :)

More: "...[German and Austrian researchers at the Endocrine Society] found that men should have a WTR of 0.55 or less and women 0.53 or less.

To figure out what your waist should be for your height, take your height in inches and multiply it by 0.55 for men and 0.53 for women. That will give you a fairly good idea of the upper limit of a healthy waistline (in inches) for you...."

http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/news/20050606/waist-height-ratio-may-show-heart-disease-risk
  • SpecialSundae
    SpecialSundae Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    Apparently a 25 inch waist is about a size 8... thats where I am aiming!

Err, no. I have a 26 inch waist and wear a size 2 ...

I came from a size 8 and had a 31 inch waist at the time (and the size 8 waists were usually a little big - my hips and thighs made me size up from a 6).

UK sizing vs US.

Although I'm a size 8 at 26.5" thanks to vanity sizing. In the US, I'm a 2-4.
  • sfbaumgarten
    sfbaumgarten Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Just realized you are a man, sorry, if your boobs reach the door frame before your belly than you are NOT okay!

:laugh:
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    I am 6ft 3 and around 190 lbs so hopefully 38 is ok. It's slowly going down so i should be ok lol. Thanks for all of your help. Like someone else said it's all about proportion and i am quite a broad guy. I guess i could do with loosing another inch or two!

Might be a question of being flat compared to what you were before.

I'm 6ft1, 180lbs with a 44 inch chest and 34.5 inch waist. I'm keen to lose a bit more because while there is a lot less of my stomach than when I started, it's still not good enough.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I know this is an old thread, but...

A 38 inch waist signifies the person is still carrying a lot of fat in the midsection (unless we're talking about the rare bodybuilder bloated look that allows for a large waist circumference while still lean). It doesn't matter if you have a "broad" frame, unless you're around 8 feet tall or so a 38 inch waist requires a lot of fat in order to exist.

A lower body fat level, even on a man over 6 feet, will not yield an almost 40 inch waist line. People can talk all day long about build, frame size, and broadness, but that doesn't erase the fact that a 38 inch waist is still quite large. Whether you're happy with that, or not, of course is totally up to you.