No substantial weight loss!

Options
So I have been dieting and exercising rigidly for a few weeks now, doing at least 3 hours worth of exercise per day, whether it be at the gym, horse riding or running- resulting in my calorie intake being approx 900 calories 4 days a week, and under 1200 everyday. I have put on a lot of muscle (I'm 37.5% muscle at the moment) but do not appear to have lost weight at all!

I currently weigh 61.8kg, at 164cm, Female, but it simply isn't coming off as I would like! My aim is to be 56kg.

Does anybody have any tips, like types of food I can eat, or exercises?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    You eat 900 calories a day and do 3 hours of exercise? You must really hate yourself?
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Sorry to break it to you, but there's no way you've put on any muscle with so few calories.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    You eat 900 calories a day and do 3 hours of exercise? You must really hate yourself?

Yeah, really. If I was eating 900 calories, I'd be ready to gnaw of an arm... and not necessarily my own.

How long have you been torturing yourself like this?
  • runningbuff
    Options
    900 with exercise taken into account!! I wouldn't be ABLE to do 3 hours exercise if I was eating so few!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    Sorry to break it to you, but there's no way you've put on any muscle with so few calories.

Seconded.

You're doing it wrong Eat some food. At the rate you're going you will eventually lose significant weight- but it will be impossible to keep it off, and you'll end up with wasted muscles and a slow metabolism. You'll regain the weight and your body composition will be a higher percentage of fat than when you started. It's the first step in a classic yo-yo that leaves people fatter and makes weight management more difficult long term.
  • runningbuff
    Options

Well clearly not!
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

Well clearly not!

It's not physically possible to put on muscle under the conditions you've described. Either
    1) You didn't put on muscle, or
    2) You have actually been consuming a lot more calories than you think

#2 is a real possibility you should consider if you haven't been measuring every bite that goes in your mouth. It would also explain your weight stall.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    LOL
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Okay, so what you meant is that you are NETTING 900 calories.

How many calories are you eating? How many are you burning?

I agree with the previous poster, you could be eating more than you think, which will result in no weight loss.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Hi running buff

How are you working out your body fat? It really helps if you open your diary too. We can have a look and try and suggest.

I'm afraid you can't really build muscle on a calorie deficit. There's a phenomenon called newbie gains where you can gain a little if you've never lifted before, but I don't know much about that.

It would be lovely if we could use our body fat to build muscle but we have to treat them as separate entities! At the moment you are at risk of not having enough fat to make up your deficit and eating into lean body tissue, muscle and organs. If you are doing a lot of sport you are at risk of injuring yourself.

Sit back and let the advice sink in, slow down and do some research and listen to the ones who are seen to be doing well with their body health, and that voice of reason.

You could be holding on to a few pounds of water to aid repair if you're doing that much sport. Take a few days off and see what happens.
    Then again, I'm assuming you're weighing and logging everything that passes your lips, and have worked out your burns using a heart rate monitor to get your exact numbers for your maths.

Lots of luck!
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,021 Member
    Options
    Well, how much weight have you lost in that 4 weeks?
  • runningbuff
    Options
    It depends how much I exercise, I try to work off as much as I need to in order to be 900, or sub 1200.
    So some days I may consume 1800-1900, and then burn off what I need to. But like today, as I haven't exercised, I've consumed just under 900.
    I am more interested if the types of food I am eating are hindering my weight loss, I am most definitely not trying to starve myself, or put on muscle particularly (I ran a half marathon 3 days ago so I am not too fussed about muscle gain).
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    LOL WUT
  • runningbuff
    Options
    Hi running buff

How are you working out your body fat? It really helps if you open your diary too. We can have a look and try and suggest.

I'm afraid you can't really build muscle on a calorie deficit. There's a phenomenon called newbie gains where you can gain a little if you've never lifted before, but I don't know much about that.

It would be lovely if we could use our body fat to build muscle but we have to treat them as separate entities! At the moment you are at risk of not having enough fat to make up your deficit and eating into lean body tissue, muscle and organs. If you are doing a lot of sport you are at risk of injuring yourself.

Sit back and let the advice sink in, slow down and do some research and listen to the ones who are seen to be doing well with their body health, and that voice of reason.

You could be holding on to a few pounds of water to aid repair if you're doing that much sport. Take a few days off and see what happens.
    Then again, I'm assuming you're weighing and logging everything that passes your lips, and have worked out your burns using a heart rate monitor to get your exact numbers for your maths.

Lots of luck!

Thank you for the positive comment!
    I have scales which calculate body fat, and muscle fat etc. So my body fat according to these scales is 24%, which it says is in the normal range, but I am not sure?
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    If you have put on muscle, you are not eating at a deficit.

How are you tracking your calories? Do you weigh and measure all of your food?
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    So I have been dieting and exercising rigidly for a few weeks now, doing at least 3 hours worth of exercise per day, whether it be at the gym, horse riding or running- resulting in my calorie intake being approx 900 calories 4 days a week, and under 1200 everyday. I have put on a lot of muscle (I'm 37.5% muscle at the moment) but do not appear to have lost weight at all!

I currently weigh 61.8kg, at 164cm, Female, but it simply isn't coming off as I would like! My aim is to be 56kg.

2chp8j8.gif
  • runningbuff
    Options

2chp8j8.gif

Is that supposed to be helpful? If so, thanks so much! There really is no need to ridicule
  • nomeejerome
    nomeejerome Posts: 2,616 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    It depends how much I exercise, I try to work off as much as I need to in order to be 900, or sub 1200.
    So some days I may consume 1800-1900, and then burn off what I need to. But like today, as I haven't exercised, I've consumed just under 900.
    I am more interested if the types of food I am eating are hindering my weight loss, I am most definitely not trying to starve myself, or put on muscle particularly (I ran a half marathon 3 days ago so I am not too fussed about muscle gain).

101.gif
  • ajcmoran2005
    ajcmoran2005 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Unless you're an Olympic athlete or you train for a living I have no idea why you are treating your body the way you are. It makes no sense eating so little on days you don't workout and working out for three hours to burn "what you need to burn" sounds insane. If I may be honest it sounds like you have an eating disorder. While you are eating you are also trying to burn it all off, which is a form of anorexia. Forgive me if I am out of line saying that but this behavior is concerning.