What have you "given up" to help meet your daily calorie goa

Options

Replies

• mrsfloisand
    mrsfloisand Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I'd have to say that since the start I've given up soda which I used to drink a ton of! I haven't had a sip of it since January 2010, so almost going on a year. I've also given up white breads and white pastas, I only eat whole wheat and when I taste regular pastas and white breads they don't taste good to me anymore. I've also started drinking less milk during my day so my calories aren't so high. I've always drank skim milk but I used to have a glass with breakfast and a glass or two with dinner, now I limit myself to one glass every day or so. Candy and sweet treats like cookies are another big one I cut out. If I don't keep myself away from them, I will eat a bunch of them, so I try to avoid them as much as possible, but still allow myself a treat every once in a while.
  • TrainingWithTonya
    TrainingWithTonya Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Nothing. I believe in all things in moderation. If I want a Pepsi, I drink a Pepsi. If I want a piece of cake, I eat a piece of cake. Do I eat the whole cake, no. But a small piece of cake now and then isn't why I gained weight in the first place (I have hormone issues and the medications to fix them to blame for that. LOL) and it's not going to derail my progress toward a healthy body now. I think healthy eating is a balancing act between what makes me happy and satisfied as I eat it and helps me maintain a healthy weight and body composition. Sometimes my balance will be off on the happy side and sometimes it will be off on the healthy side, but in the end it all evens out.
  • NatalieWinning
    NatalieWinning Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Half my bagle every morning, and now I use low fat cream cheese, low fat miracal whip, and less butter. I'm only eating whole grain 100 calorie a bun bread instead of 2 slices of bread.

But I think I put in more things to my diet than I took out. Better for me, things. Those replace the higher calorie options. More fruit and vegetables and whole grains. That's the part that I really think helps! What I've gained!
  • Cristy_AZ
    Options
    Most dairy, quit adding cheese to anything! No more yogurt, have fruit instead. And beer (well.... working on it)
  • AmandaR910
    Options
    The obvious no candy, fast food, or eating out.

Also, like you, cheese.

I haven't had cheese at all since starting. I get my calcium from things like milk and yogurt instead.
  • dom300186
    dom300186 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    ive stopped eating loads of carbs ie over 150 a day now im eating at most 70
  • lmell
    lmell Posts: 17
    Options
    Pasta & salty french fries..oh how I miss them! lol
  • ErinMarie25
    ErinMarie25 Posts: 733 Member
    Options
    Cheese, condiments.
  • queensarahdj
    Options
    Sugar in my coffee and products containing Corn Syrup.
  • brookeybaby_00
    brookeybaby_00 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    So so many things. . . cheese, alcohol, white bread, sodas (I miss my Mt. Dew so much!), fried food, peanut butter, most fast foods, SNICKERS

I treat myself every now-and-again if I've been very good (which isn't that often). I just have to make sure that I eat low cal foods that I can CHEW. I don't want to drink cals. It's not as much fun.
  • iamstaceywood
    iamstaceywood Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    I eat open faced sandwiches made with one piece of bread instead of two.
    Mustard instead of mayo.
    Cut out cheese.

I gave up sour cream....which I LOVE. I can't stop at a dollop....I have to eat tons!
    FAT FREE SOUR CREAM!! ON EVERYTHING!! no, for real, its good.
  • mybutterflower
    mybutterflower Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I haven't really "given up" anything. It's more like all the delicious food that got me to be over 200 pounds are now special treats I only eat once in a while. Like Cookie Monster says, "Cookies are a sometimes food" :wink:
  • Shirley61
    Shirley61 Posts: 7,758 Member
    Options
    Wow you have already got a lot of replies. :tongue: So here is just one more.
    I have given up salt because of High Blood Pressure. I have to give
    to give up sugar because of Type 2 Diabetes. Those are the big
    things and that just about covers a lot of what we eat. It has been a
    struggle for me but you can do it. :flowerforyou:
  • LaurieEReid
    Options
    Cut back on sweets and fatty, salty snacks (chips etc). They're a rare treat now. Coffee went from with cream to whole milk to black. Portion control, portion control, portion control. *sigh*
  • kmtetour
    kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I've given up most of my Dr. Pepper intake. I don't even know how many cans I used to drink in a day, but now I open one when I get to work, drink about half of it, bring it home, and finish it for "dessert" (a lovely flat soda dessert).

And to those of you who are giving up cheese, milk, and other dairy products, PLEASE make sure you are getting enough calcium and vitamin D, especially if you are female. You don't want to get osteoporosis!
  • jrkingery
    jrkingery Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Pepsi. I used to drink 4-6 12 oz cans or bottles a day.

Now I only drink Coke Zero or water.
    Yes, I know, artificial sweeteners are "bad" for you. But not as bad as all of that high fructose corn syrup.
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Sugar in tea/coffee & other sugary drinks. It took about 6 mo's to get over the pain, but now - it's true... it does taste really yuk if someone accidentally puts sugar in your coffee :)
  • emmyvera
    emmyvera Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    - cheese on my lunchtime wraps.

- gin and diet tonic
  • turbojanem
    Options
    to help me get to a healthy lifestyle, i have given up the following: Diet Dr. Pepper Cherry in the can, all sodas, anything with HFCS, almost anything in a box or bag. and i have all but removed white sugar from my food plan.

these are all things that are really not healthy for my body. i don't plan to go back to them when i reach my goal. lifestyle change with purpose. now and forever.

Jane
  • umfan85
    umfan85 Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Cheese has been my big one. I used to put it on everything that made sense, until I started tracking calories. I don't completely withhold, but I am much more cautious.

Also, definitely haven't been drinking as much beer. When I must choose between eating dinner that night or having a couple beers, food usually wins out :)