"Unhealthy food" detrimental to muscle gain?

Options

Replies

• Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    You can bulk the healthy way or the unhealthy way (aka transfats , cholesterol , sodium) which pizzas/burgers have lots of :) It will reflect upn your heart/liver health in the long run=)

* except for the trans fats.

Come on then! Now's your chance to educate us on junk food that doesn't contain harmful fats! I'm interested....really. Set me free from my healthy ways.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options
    You can bulk the healthy way or the unhealthy way (aka transfats , cholesterol , sodium) which pizzas/burgers have lots of :) It will reflect upn your heart/liver health in the long run=)

Come on then! Now your chance to educate us on junk food that doesn't contain harmful fats! I'm interested....

Oh FFS. Seriously? Go read a nutrition information page.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Whoa, that escalated quickly :D
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options

Come on then! Now's your chance to educate us on junk food that doesn't contain harmful fats! I'm interested....really. Set me free from my healthy ways.

The current theory is that similar to fat, dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as once reported. Similarly sodium isn't bad, except for those with medical conditions.

The trans-fat are really ubiquitous in fast/junk food though.
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    I love Wendy's 1/2lb burger no cheese macros. I can eat those on maintenance no prob. IIFYM :drinker:

Cutting is trickier for me, but get the least fattening of those McD's "Premium" chx wraps and am okay.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

The current theory is that similar to fat, dietary cholesterol isn't as bad as once reported. Similarly sodium isn't bad, except for those with medical conditions.

Trans fats also naturally occur in meat, though the authorities are careful to point out that those are not the ones that researchers are concerned with. And no, the artificial trans fats are not nearly as ubiquitous as you claim. Hence, why I poited out the obvious, and requested that the other poster read nutritional labels. One can pick and choose which "junk food" to eat.

Nice ad hominem though. Nothing like showing your stripes.
  • quixoteQ
    quixoteQ Posts: 484
    Options
    I lurk on these forums from time to time, and I see these flame wars almost as often as I see the "rub pizza on or boff the user above" threads. The eat clean crap annoys me, but I also get confused by the bulk concept when it comes to macros.

If you're exercising heavy, and eating over your TDEE, you're going to gain both muscle and fat no matter what you eat. Does it really matter how much of that is protein?
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Don't limit your food choices because they are deemed "unhealthy". Eating fastfood every once in awhile isn't going to hurt you in anyway. 1-2 per week eat a fast food meal and then the rest of the day keep a closer eye on your cals. to ensure you don't too much over your cal. goal.

In fact today it's either Carl Jr or Crack in the Box for lunch.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    If you're exercising heavy, and eating over your TDEE, you're going to gain both muscle and fat no matter what you eat. Does it really matter how much of that is protein?

no.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    If you plan ahead, you can hit your macro goals at a fast food restaurant. Obviously it isn't ideal, and I don't know of anyone who advocates doing it daily.

Do you need to limit fats as much as you are? Absolutely not. Fat is a good thing. You need fats. Just like you need protein and carbohydrates.

There's only one harmful fat, and that is trans fat. It isn't nearly as prevalent as fear-mongerers would have you believe, but you will find it most often in packaged sweets and other foods in the grocery aisles. Eating foods high in cholesterol does not equate to higher blood cholesterol.

When I have bulked in the past, I have needed more than 2500 calories a day to gain .5 pound/week. Bulking for me has become a real chore. If you have this problem, then EAT YOUR FATS and don't be afraid of supplementing with the scary "junk" foods.
  • Sreneesa
    Sreneesa Posts: 1,170 Member
    Options
    Ive been known to hit up McDonalds to fulfill macros. Ill get like a grilled chicken ranch burger or a deluxe bacon quarter pounder or something with bacon. Works out for me. Usually when I do get a high cal sandwich such as this its because I'm trying to fill up the days calories and macros.

I also do subway a lot BLT or whatever. As long as it fits your cals shouldn't be a big deal.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options

no.

We don't seem to know exactly what "optimal" protein intake for hypertrophy is, but that doesn't mean it is zero. Personally, I'd stick with the experts' best guesses in this area and target the 1 gram of protein per pound of lean muscle mass. That doesn't mean that not hitting it will "kill our your gains" either, but I like meat so it isn't difficult for me to go a bit over either.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    in no way did i imply eat zero protein. no was just the shortest answer.

if you are eating sufficient calories then your probably getting all the protein you need as well as all the micronutrients you need.

more protein doesnt equate to more muscle hpertrophy.
  • SunofaBeach14
    Options
    in no way did i imply eat zero protein. no was just the shortest answer.

if you are eating sufficient calories then your probably getting all the protein you need as well as all the micronutrients you need.

more protein doesnt equate to more muscle hpertrophy.

Fair enough. I wouldn't advise people to not worry about protein though because peoples' diets vary quite a bit. As I said above, I never have a problem hitting my protein macro, but that's just me. For vegans and those who simply enjoy more carbs it can be a heck of a lot more difficult. If the OP is eating more margarita pizzas than double burgers, for example, that could be a problem.

I also disagree with the more protein point as if there is an optimal level of protein intake, then there would be more muscle hypertrophy up to that optimal point (wherever it may actually fall). Once at the optimal level, however, no more gains would be expected. Hence "optimal."

Finally, I strongly disagree with your point on micronutrients. If the OP is eating nothing but fast food burgers and fries, then there is no way the OP would be getting sufficient micronutrients and fiber.
  • baptiste565
    baptiste565 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    U weigh 138. Eat everything.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    I lurk on these forums from time to time, and I see these flame wars almost as often as I see the "rub pizza on or boff the user above" threads. The eat clean crap annoys me, but I also get confused by the bulk concept when it comes to macros.

There is a guesstimate of the optimal protein intake as Sun has said. There are various types of bulks. You don't necessarily have to get all chunky to gain muscle. Increased caloric needs mean in some cases increased micronutrient needs. This eat whatever and you'll get mad gains is a bunch of whooey.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options

That is not true. It was 10 years ago+. Non-natural trans fats have been voluntarily removed from virtually all foods, there are only a few stragglers. Products containing non-naturally occurring trans fats are on the verge of being banned in the US, the process is already underway.

Naturally occurring trans fats are not thought to be harmful.
  • waldo56
    waldo56 Posts: 1,861 Member
    Options
    Increased caloric needs mean in some cases increased micronutrient needs. This eat whatever and you'll get mad gains is a bunch of whooey.

The increase in food quantity MORE than makes up for any increased micronutrient needs.

You eat really, really, really screwed up if you've got a micronutrient deficiency while bulking.
  • googlebear123
    Options
    1393634_550950764959781_2017084461_n.jpg

balanced diet + ice cream and pizza + counting calories = win.

i only get 100g protein if im lucky, im predominantly vegetarian now, but have gone from 300 - 100g protein and everywhere inbetween and seen no difference at all. minimum recomended intake of protein is only ~50g

im not advoctaing IIFYM YOLO diet of burgers and chips. but thay can be part of a balanced diet, and wont affect muscle gain.

balanced diet, small calorie surplus, intensity of training will give you results OP. thats all any novice needs to know.

http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
    this is the programme i'm running, its given me great gains thus far. its a modified SL.
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    Good thread! I do love my junk food. I do. It's just I try and limit it, because it takes up so much macro space. I'm not afraid of sodium, cholesterol, bring on the sat fat blah blah. I'm European after all.

It's the trans fats that worry me, they aren't so ubiquitous in England but still I've read some scary stuff about weird fats and their link to cancer. I would still eat it, just not very often.

Yes, the bulking thing, I remember Lyles diet now, and how it was more about the calorie surplus than the protein surplus.

Mmmm quarter pounder with cheese.....