Skim Milk Bad for You? And Low-Fat Dairy Products. Scary.

Options
2»

Replies

• laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food.. the soda companies pay for that BS research!! just go organic! :drinker:

How does organic or non organic relate to the fat content in milk, exactly? :huh:

The ratios of omega fats in grass fed vs factory farmed dairy is radically different, as well as grass fed being rich in vitamin k2 and anti-inflammatories. factory farmed butter is meh, grass fed butter is a superfood.

http://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-butter-superfood-for-the-heart/
  • devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    all milk is bad for you. just drink almond.

:huh:

Right.
  • laurelobrien
    laurelobrien Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    all milk is bad for you. just drink almond.

*laughs self into coma*
  • Achrya
    Achrya Posts: 16,913 Member
    Options
    Milk is a perfect food.. the soda companies pay for that BS research!! just go organic! :drinker:

How does organic or non organic relate to the fat content in milk, exactly? :huh:

The ratios of omega fats in grass fed vs factory farmed dairy is radically different, as well as grass fed being rich in vitamin k2 and anti-inflammatories. factory farmed butter is meh, grass fed butter is a superfood.

http://authoritynutrition.com/grass-fed-butter-superfood-for-the-heart/

I wanted to check the sources for the claims in that article but everything just links back to...more articles on that website.

Which is besides the fact that going organic has nothing to do with the choice between whole, skim, and 2% since that issue exists no matter if you go organic or not. And this has nothing to do with the OP and her issue.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Do have some reason to suspect that infertility might be an issue for you? Because this whole post just sounds like you are borrowing trouble. You haven't even started TTC. Even with no medical issues, it can still take couples up to a year to conceive. You're worrying about how to avoid an issue that you don't even know is an issue for you. I don't eat any full fat dairy products, and I've had two babies. One took 4 months to conceive, the other happened on the first try.

Exercise, eat well, and take a prenatal vitamin. Worry about other interventions only after you have some evidence that there is an issue.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    :huh:
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options
    Milk -factory processed milk that is - is not good for all. Aside from those who have problem with digesting diary products MOST of the factory processed milk has EXTRA amounts of hormones in it. Ever wondered how come those cows can give sooooo much milk every single day?? Their food is pumped with hormones to increase their milk production!
    it is absolutely no issue for most - but those who have some kind of hormone inbalance can experience issues.

I know, I have.

I was advised to stop drinking milk on a regular basis (as the dietary advices goes 1 glass a day) and only do 1x a week. I supplement on the calcium "missed" via spinach and calcium tablets. and this is the best I have done for my body! my hormones are easier to keep in check as my body is not getting loaded by it from milk....and SOYA! that is the other stuff which ran havoc with my hormones..

I for sure will not give factory produced milk to my kids more than 1 or 2 a week..
  • Dewymorning
    Dewymorning Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Very interesting. Thank you for sharing.

I went to a talk by a nutritionist a couple of years ago, and she talked a lot about fat, how important it is for the body, especially women/pregnancy, how it makes you feel fuller after eating compared to carbs etc.

She encouraged staying away from low fat alternatives, and instead just having smaller amounts of the full fat product. :P
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I would think that as long as you are getting an adequate amount of healthy fats in your diet, why would it matter?
    Skim, 2%, full fat or almond...check your macros. Get the required amount of fat for a woman your age.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options
    Milk -factory processed milk that is - is not good for all. Aside from those who have problem with digesting diary products MOST of the factory processed milk has EXTRA amounts of hormones in it. Ever wondered how come those cows can give sooooo much milk every single day?? Their food is pumped with hormones to increase their milk production!
    it is absolutely no issue for most - but those who have some kind of hormone inbalance can experience issues.

I know, I have.

I was advised to stop drinking milk on a regular basis (as the dietary advices goes 1 glass a day) and only do 1x a week. I supplement on the calcium "missed" via spinach and calcium tablets. and this is the best I have done for my body! my hormones are easier to keep in check as my body is not getting loaded by it from milk....and SOYA! that is the other stuff which ran havoc with my hormones..

I for sure will not give factory produced milk to my kids more than 1 or 2 a week..
    Just to let you know the calcium in spinach is pretty much non bioavailable, maybe 5%........basically spinach is pretty well useless for calcium. I would have though an anti milk person would know this......but I guess that data doesn't surface too much in the veg world.
  • sydneybeachgirl
    Options

I know, I have.

Just to let you know the calcium in spinach is pretty much non bioavailable, maybe 5%........basically spinach is pretty well useless for calcium. I would have though an anti milk person would know this......but I guess that data doesn't surface too much in the veg world.

I am not vegetarian.
    I eat meat.
    but industrial processed milk has ran havoc with my hormones and after years of trying to figure out when my dietitian recommended reducing my milk intake from 1 glass a day to 1 a week MOST of my hormone issues started to go away

I am not agains milk intake - I am just flagging that there are people out there who can have adverse reactions to the industrially produced milk due to it is high hormone content..
    I subsitute with spinach cos that is better than nothing :)
  • Hovercat
    Hovercat Posts: 43 Member
    Options

I know, I have.

I am not vegetarian.
    I eat meat.
    but industrial processed milk has ran havoc with my hormones and after years of trying to figure out when my dietitian recommended reducing my milk intake from 1 glass a day to 1 a week MOST of my hormone issues started to go away

I am not agains milk intake - I am just flagging that there are people out there who can have adverse reactions to the industrially produced milk due to it is high hormone content..

Have you tried kale? Loads of calcium in that stuff and it tastes awesome when fried with bacon :)
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,918 Member
    Options

I know, I have.

I am not vegetarian.
    I eat meat.

Ok gotcha. In Canada there are no added hormones, so not a problem. I remember reading though that BGH doesn't effect human metabolism. And yes, kale is a very good source for calcium.
  • PoeRaven8991
    Options
    Try Silk Unsweetened Almond Milk. 50% more calcium. 0 g sugar. Delicious. :drinker:
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

I always preferred the taste of skim milk too, less thick.

Why not just cut the whole milk with water?
  • FromHereOnOut
    FromHereOnOut Posts: 3,237 Member
    Options

]Just to let you know the calcium in spinach is pretty much non bioavailable, maybe 5%........basically spinach is pretty well useless for calcium. I would have though an anti milk person would know this......but I guess that data doesn't surface too much in the veg world.

Unrelated, but spinach is a good source of folate, which is very important for women prior to and after conceiving. Also, having vit C with it can help with the calcium availability/absorption.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Haha... Kale has more calcium gram for gram than milk. Technically true, but you'd need to eat over a pound (1.18) of kale per day to match the amount of calcium in 3 glasses of milk.
  • I think any milk I drink should be organic first and foremost! When you see the hormones and antibiotics that cows are given, I really wouldn't want to be taking those even indirectly.