Replies

• Butterpecan888
    Options
    need to lose 8 kg... thanks to all of you who gave me an honest input
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    need to lose 8 kg... thanks to all of you who gave me an honest input

Geez that's nothing. Calorie deficit and exercise.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    id ask that RD how many times it took them to pass the registration exam
  • MSeel1984
    MSeel1984 Posts: 2,297 Member
    Options
    nothing on his door.no qualifications in the room either

Exactly. I knew it.

Dietitians have years of schooling and require a professional license. They don't deal in this nonsense "found it in a magazine or on Google" kind of diet.

Referring to this uneducated, unqualified person as a dietitian is very wrong.

Forget everything this person told you because it's lies and BS.

Yeah...refer to a registered dietitian-or at least someone with legitimate qualifications.
    Dietitians deal with weight loss as well as a range of other physical ailments (high blood pressure, diabetes, celiac, etc)...they also do more advanced clinical work like TPN and tube feeding...they go through years of clinical, sports, community and managerial dietetic work....there are specific regulations for becoming an RD and even a clinical nutritionist.

Just make sure your physician refers you to someone next time.
  • cebreisch
    cebreisch Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Hogwash. Horse Hockey. Bull. BS. Pick a term, any term.

I've had a few dieticians over the course of the last few years, and none of them have made any comments like that. They advocate fruit and veggies.
  • steffipaulina
    Options
    1. no
    2. get a new dietician
    3 stop trolling

This.
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    Is this real life?
  • jillianbeeee
    jillianbeeee Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I went to a dietitian once. As she sat across from me, it was hard to take her seriously since she was obese. As long as it fits within your calorie intake for the day, you can eat it!
  • Lake_Po
    Lake_Po Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    When I was first having a really hard time with losing weight, my MIL told me it's OBVIOUSLY because I eat too much fruit and should consider cutting it (and all carbs) completely. It turns out that I was over-eating by not weighing and has NOTHING to do with fruit. She's crazy pro-Atkins, I just take the things she says now with a grain of salt, smile and nod and eat fruit.

This is neither here nor there, I'll agree with everyone else and get rid of the dietitian, fruit isn't the enemy. :)
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Stop it you guys. it's "dietitian," not "dietician."

You are correct but you're fighting a losing battle. I think some places are just giving up and accepting "dietician". Another example of the decline of western civilization. :laugh:
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Stop it you guys. it's "dietitian," not "dietician."

You are correct but you're fighting a losing battle. I think some places are just giving up and accepting "dietician". Another example of the decline of western civilization. :laugh:

I didn't know it was dietitian until recently. I think I learned it on this board. So keep fighting the good fight; some people simply don't know. You're getting through to some.
  • LB30
    LB30 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I'm late to this party and I have not read through the comments (I'm probably repeating), but I can tell you that I did earn an A.A.S., in Nutrition a few moons ago (okay, 1990). It was a 2.5 year program and required that I sit state boards for certification. Though I haven't practiced in that field in many years, let my cert. lapse, and have forgotten a thing or two, I can say that fruit is in no way something you should not eat, unless there is an underlying medical reason. I have never met a dietician that would say that, and I certainly was never taught by one. A reputable dietician, taking your medical history into account, would recommend a balanced diet including all food groups. The basic template usually revolves around a standard diabetic diet. Pretty much what MFP does when it auto-fills your macros. Sounds like you came across a "nutritionist". Anyone can call themselves that. And often, too many unqualified/uncertified charlatans do. Keep in mind, sometimes doctors give nutrition advice they have no business giving. Came across that a lot when I worked in the field.

Eat your fruit and include it in your calories. Best of luck to you.