Spaghetti Squash

Options
My new favorite "substitute". I had it instead of pasta with my fabulous meat sauce this week and I used it instead of rice with my chicken curry. To be honest I preferred it to the rice with the chicken curry....a little spicy, a little sweet. Does anyone have any other interesting recipes for spaghetti squash, so far I can only think to use it where I would use pasta or rice...

Replies

• knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I just like it on it's own also as a side dish but I have contemplated making home made chili and filling the squash sprinkle a little cheese and baking it. Maybe I will try that this week :)

We did it last summer with sautee'd chicken breast and veggies that was quite tasty. We just steamed it and tossed it around with the other ingredients when they were ready.

It is one of my favorite veggies.
  • ckspores1018
    ckspores1018 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    I really like spaghetti squash but I can't use it as a pasta or rice substitute. It just doesn't do anything for me.
  • jay8anks
    jay8anks Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    If you have a slow cooker, this is like a Thanksgiving meal, and it is so easy. Made it a week ago, but everyone was out of butternut squash, so I used spaghetti squash. I liked it even better than the butternut. Put some flour on your face and people will think you slaved over this. :)

3/4ths cup of wild rice (recommend Lundberg wild rice blend)
    A medium cubed butternut squash
    An onion (somewhat optional)
    A package of boneless chicken thighs (thighs don't dry out as bad as breast).
    3 cups chicken broth.
    Dried cranberries.
    1/2 teaspoon realSalt.
    1/2 teaspoon pepper.
    1/2 teaspoon thyme.

Layer wild rice, then butternut squash, then chicken. Cover with chicken broth and spices. Cook 6 - 8 hours on low. I did close to 8 and I probably should have done 6.

Take the chicken out and put the butternut squash in a dish. Take the cranberries and stir into the wild rice, and put it in another dish.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    I really like spaghetti squash but I can't use it as a pasta or rice substitute. It just doesn't do anything for me.

I use it with spaghetti but I hide it under the multi grain or whole wheat pasta - it just helps with portion control and doesn't affect the taste.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    If you have a slow cooker, this is like a Thanksgiving meal, and it is so easy. Made it a week ago, but everyone was out of butternut squash, so I used spaghetti squash. I liked it even better than the butternut. Put some flour on your face and people will think you slaved over this. :)

3 cups chicken broth.
    Dried cranberries.
    1/2 teaspoon realSalt.
    1/2 teaspoon pepper.
    1/2 teaspoon thyme.

Layer wild rice, then butternut squash, then chicken. Cover with chicken broth and spices. Cook 6 - 8 hours on low. I did close to 8 and I probably should have done 6.

Take the chicken out and put the butternut squash in a dish. Take the cranberries and stir into the wild rice, and put it in another dish.

That sounds yummy - gonna try it thanks!
  • scparke2
    scparke2 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I love it! Since I have cut out pasta/bread I eat a lot of spaghetti squash. I have about 5 different cassroles that I make with it. I then have it through out the week. Great for a quick heat them up meal after a long a day and the gym in the evenings.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options

3 cups chicken broth.
    Dried cranberries.
    1/2 teaspoon realSalt.
    1/2 teaspoon pepper.
    1/2 teaspoon thyme.

Sounds great, I will have to try this
  • daniellabella986
    daniellabella986 Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    skinnytaste.com has some good recipes for spaghetti squash, and so does hungry girl
  • heatherlynnc123
    Options
    I'm not a lot of help as I usually just put spaghetti sauce on it. I have made it with broccoli and alfredo sauce that was very tasty. Something like this recipe only with added broccoli: http://fooddoodles.com/2013/01/10/skinny-spaghetti-squash-alfredo/

Last spring was the first time I'd ever eaten it and liked it so much we grew them in our garden. I still have one left and then it will be store bought again.
  • kimlynn919
    kimlynn919 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    These recipes sound really yummy! I really want to learn how to prepare spaghetti squash, anybody have any tips for how to prepare it so i can make some of these things?
  • Jazzy_MiSa
    Options
    Looking forward to trying this. Hope my local supermarket / fruit & vegetable store sells it.

{Edit} YAY my local Bunnings Warehouse sells the seeds & seedlings so I can always grow it myself :happy:
  • droxeene
    droxeene Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Here's one I made recently & my husband actually enjoyed it enough for seconds!

Servings: 6

Ingredient:
    1 to 2 lb. spaghetti squash
    2 tbsp. grated parmesan cheese
    ½ cup mozzarella cheese, reduced- fat
    2 tbsp. pimientos, diced
    ¼ cup fresh parsley, chopped
    Fresh ground black pepper
    Kosher salt

I tweaked it a bit (no pimentos, added garlic, etc.) so you can definitely season to your taste. I also added Jennie O sweet Italian sausage & it was delicious!
  • knra_grl
    Options
    These recipes sound really yummy! I really want to learn how to prepare spaghetti squash, anybody have any tips for how to prepare it so i can make some of these things?

Half it, scoop out the seeds and I usually just put about 3/4 of an inch of water in a large baking pan squash cut side down and steam it - don't overcook or it won't be "stringy"- once it's cooked you can just run a fork along the squash and it comes out stringy
  • sweetpickle1004
    sweetpickle1004 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shuuma
    Shuuma Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Half it, scoop out the seeds and I usually just put about 3/4 of an inch of water in a large baking pan squash cut side down and steam it - don't overcook or it won't be "stringy"- once it's cooked you can just run a fork along the squash and it comes out stringy

This is how I make mine, only instead of steaming it, I just put a bit of olive oil on a cookie sheet, and put the squash halves squash-side down on the pan and bake until I can squeeze it easily (like a baked potato). Flip and shred with the fork. I also like a bit of butter and some Parmesan cheese on mine or just plain. I have also had it tossed with fresh spinach leaves, tomatoes, and mozzarella chunks.
  • rjdunn87
    rjdunn87 Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    I make a quick guacamole with a can of black beans stirred in, plop that on top of a half of roasted spaghetti squash and go to town.
  • kjerstenkipp
    kjerstenkipp Posts: 139 Member
    Options

This is how I make mine, only instead of steaming it, I just put a bit of olive oil on a cookie sheet, and put the squash halves squash-side down on the pan and bake until I can squeeze it easily (like a baked potato). Flip and shred with the fork. I also like a bit of butter and some Parmesan cheese on mine or just plain. I have also had it tossed with fresh spinach leaves, tomatoes, and mozzarella chunks.

Here's how I do it and it has been perfect every time. Half it, scoop out the seeds. Place cut side down in a baking dish with about 1C water. Cover with plastic wrap and microwave 15 min (if you are doing both halves at the same time, make it 18 min). Then just scrape out the insides with a fork to make the "noodles". Yes, i have convince my son they are homemade noodles :-)
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    Options
    I like to throw in some black beans, tomato, avocado, red bell pepper, and some Mexican spices on mine.
  • RinnyLush
    RinnyLush Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Mmmmm, I love spaghetti squash! I don't necessarily feel the need to hide it or use it as a substitute though... When I want real pasta I'll just have real pasta, lol. That being said, one of my favourite ways to eat it is with a little butter, garlic salt, smoked paprika, and smoked gouda stirred into it. Sooooo gooey and delicious! :heart:
  • AlwaysInMotion
    AlwaysInMotion Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the ideas. I have a squash waiting to be cooked. Tempted to use the squash as a rice substitute under chicken tikka masala tonight!