I wanna convert to the dark side (weight lifting)

Options

Replies

• SSAHM
    SSAHM Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Now I know that initially I'll probably gain weight so how long in average (I know it will be different for everyone) before it begins to fall again
    [/quote]

Can anyone tell me the answer to this?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    i would eat at maintenance to start with -if yo uare currently at a deficit, and then decide in 3/4 months if you want to cut, bulk or carry on as you are.

ditch the scales and start taking pictures for progress as you may find yourself heavier but with less bodyfat... if you go just by scales you will be disappointed.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Now I know that initially I'll probably gain weight so how long in average (I know it will be different for everyone) before it begins to fall again

Honestly, it won't until you alter your calorie intake and start operating at a deficit. If you're lifting at a deficit to begin with, as Rip would say, you're not doing the program (YNDTP), but you can absolutely use the program eating at a deficit. You just won't see your lifts increase as much as the program expects you to after a while, because it's a strength gaining program.

It all depends on how you recover, and how you like what you're seeing. You'll likely find that - even if you gain weight - your clothes still fit (or are looser) and your body fat is visibly reduced.

Keep measurements more than weighing yourself, if you need to.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Instead of quoting and responding to a dozen different points, I'm going to try to just distill my opinion on the topic overall and hope I address all of your concerns lol.

1. I would most certainly NOT rack up my calories by ~1500 calories all at once. TBH, you can most likely add 300 calories a week and be doing just fine. As has been stated already, most of the initial training adaptation you make as a rank beginner will be neural adaptation, which doesn't really require calories to build anything. I'd plan to tack on ~300 a week and keep an eye on the mirror and see how it goes. If you start to feel particularly weak due to your activity level, eat more. If you feel ravenous after a workout...eat more.

2. NROLFW is a good book for convincing women that lifting is a valuable way to pursue the body they want. Other than that it's silly. The workout is overcomplicated and obtuse, and the diet is ... just no. Since you've already decided you want to lift, don't bother with it.

3. IMO Starting Strength is the best beginner resource out there, and it's a steal at about $30 on Amazon. That having been said, I didn't see you mention anything about having a power rack in which to squat. Do you have the ability to actually do barbell squats? Is your weight set an Olympic style set? How much weight do you actually have?

4. Check out the "so you think you can..." bench, squat, deadlift video series' on YouTube. Don't watch only them, nor consider them 100% gospel, but definitely check them out.

5. Your weight might NEVER go back down. But I think you'll find that you won't care all that much. Watch the measuring tape and the bodyfat calipers (get some if you don't have any-they're cheap online) and forget all about the scale unless you plan to compete and need to make a weight class.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I dunno... I think people are too ready to say they're "done" with their noob gains. I don't think I'm done with mine and I deadlift 400, squat 370.. and my bench suxorz.. working on getting it to at least 225. I'm just saying that I don't believe my "noob" gains are finished. I still want to refine my form on lifts and I know I probably have about a year before I'd say I'm out of my beginner lifting stage.

Increases in strength =/= increases in noob muscle gain. you can make gains in strength for years without adding new muscle.
  • erickirb
    Options
    [/quote]

[/quote]

If you are eating at or below maintenance, should just be for a few weeks. maybe a couple ounces of muscle gained, but the rest will be water retention to repair and protect the muscles. when you get use to the routine your muscles will shed most of the excess water.

If you are eating above maintenance, then the gains will continue, and will be a combo of fat, muscle, and water.

Since your ticker shows you still want to lose, I would aim for a weekly weight loss goal of 0.5lbs, and aim for 1 gram of protein per lb of lean body mass, if you don't know lbm then aim for 0.75-0.8 grams per lb of body weight.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    OP, are you at your goal weight? If you still have fat to lose I would not eat at a surplus.
  • greenskpr
    greenskpr Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I left my cardio-oriented program last year and have gained weight - about 5 pounds - but it's good! As mentioned by others, you'll need to put away the scale and rearrange your strategy while you try this change. So, ya, +5 pounds, but clothes fit looser than ever and I look tighter than I've been in my life - feel amazing. The biggest thing I don't miss is the beating running gave my body. No more joint pain after long runs, which is nice. I still mix in cardio, but on off days and just 20 minute HIIT sessions on cycle or stairmaster.

I began with the SL5x5 program a year ago and still use it. It's easy and gives me the results I'm looking for. I add some auxiliary movements when I want to go after a certain body part a little harder. I've always struggled with definition, muscle-wise. Adding regular squats and deadlifts to my week, and at heavier weights, has finally brought out the abdominal definition I was looking for.

Food-wise, you have to eat to gain if that's your goal. Lifting alone, without calorie intake over your TDEE, will burn fat and get you strong and defined - which isn't bad either.
    But to build, you need fuel - so, carbs and protein. Build active tissue (regular lifting) and you'll find it easier to burn more calories on a daily basis. I eat to 'maintain' right now and time my meals using a more 'intermittent fasting' protocol of 16/8. I keep my macros tight and that takes care of my food choices and selection. It fits my lifestyle and works for me.

Good luck on this. I don't regret changing my plan around. I had plateaued-out before starting this and it was just the thing i needed to spark a change in my body. I look better, feel stronger, and know this is something I can sustain indefinitely. Running always left me feeling a little worried about how long my joints would hold up to all the pounding - plus, yeah, a little boring sometimes. Stay healthy!
  • ItsCasey
    ItsCasey Posts: 4,022 Member
    Options
    http://startingstrength.wikia.com/wiki/Starting_Strength_Wiki (ignore any nutrition advice, and instead use the link below)

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=156380183

Cliff's Notes: utilise the "big 3" - squat, bench, deadlift. For the first few months you'll be blessed with "newbie gains". You should be eating at a slight surplus, with adequate protein intake. You should expect to gain a little bit of fat. You need to sleep well.

It's the big 4, you're forgetting Overhead Press.

Well, not really. The "big 3" obviously relates to powerlifting competitions. The OHP is regarded as benching assistance work by some, others don't see much carryover (I find the opposite is true, but my benching grip is less PL-style). It's just in there because it more directly works the shoulders/tris over the bench press and most beginners will find that they're weaker in that area than in the chest.

As always YMMV.

My mileage varies a lot as I've never heard that OHP is assistance to BP. Lol. But, Ok.

I do powerlifting training and OHP is one of the 4 core lifts, along with the other 3 you mention.

I would never consider OHP assistance.

That's because you do 5/3/1. Now let's not hijack this woman's thread.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Ok so the topic pretty much says it all. I want to give up my mainly cardio routine for weight lifting to drastically change my body. Problem is I really have no idea where to start. I know eating for gaining muscle/losing fat is different then purely weight loss but how?
    I have a home gym, bench, barbell, a few plates and a few light dumbbells. Most of the time they just sit there looking pretty. The most I have done in weight lifting kind of things is things like 30 day shred. So where do I start? Is there a website or something I can go to that gives a list of exercises and possible pictures I can print out as a guide?
    As you can tell I'm pretty much new to this side of things so all the help I can get would be great!!

Thanks in advance :-D

OP:

Buy Starting Strength and learn the correct form of the main lifts.

After that, start the programme detailed in the book, or choose a related routine (something like Stronglifts or Greyskull LP)

And: good luck! It's an exciting new undertaking...
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I dunno... I think people are too ready to say they're "done" with their noob gains. I don't think I'm done with mine and I deadlift 400, squat 370.. and my bench suxorz.. working on getting it to at least 225. I'm just saying that I don't believe my "noob" gains are finished. I still want to refine my form on lifts and I know I probably have about a year before I'd say I'm out of my beginner lifting stage.
    Noob gains are not strength gains. Noob gains are the term for a very small amount of muscle (a few ounces, really) gain while beginning a lifting program, that lasts for a month or two for a completely untrained person.

Strength gains in the first year or 2 are basically 100% CNS neuromuscular adaptation, not from actual muscle hypertrophy.
  • Huffdogg
    Huffdogg Posts: 1,934 Member
    Options
    Noob gains are not strength gains. Noob gains are the term for a very small amount of muscle (a few ounces, really) gain while beginning a lifting program, that lasts for a month or two for a completely untrained person.

Strength gains in the first year or 2 are basically 100% CNS neuromuscular adaptation, not from actual muscle hypertrophy.

I was under the impression that the term "noob gains" was meant to encompass both of those phenomena.
  • erickirb
    Options

I was under the impression that the term "noob gains" was meant to encompass both of those phenomena.

They may, but OP was referring to weight gain, not strength gains. Though most people refer to the muscle gain when they talk about noob gains as on this site it is mainly questions around weight gain/loss
  • SSAHM
    Options
    Sorry last question. So my goal is lose another 20ish kilos give or take because of lifting or drop another 2 dress sizes (that will be the size I was before kids but I was skinny fat) then I wanna focus more I wanna focus more on building lean muscle. How would I eat for those goals.

Secondly I know I may get a bit bigger size wise before I start to get smaller. I have an event in 6ish weeks. I don't wanna not be able to fit in my clothes properly (I wanna look banging hot lol) so would this "noob" gain interfere with that?
  • SSAHM
    Options
    P.s thanks for everyone's help you've got me really excited and pumped to start this.
  • TeslaJoule
    TeslaJoule Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    I really enjoyed the New Rules. There is a REALLY great group on here for it. The women on there are SUPER supportive and helpful. Plus people post progress which is helpful. They have a link about how to calculate your cals and can answer most of your questions there. When you start weight lifting, I wouldn't weigh yourself until you notice a difference in your other measurements...
  • edwardkim85
    edwardkim85 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    Go meet a trainer and get a routine set for you.

Now that you're looking to 'strength' train more, you will need to meet a nutritionist as well to reconfigure your macros(more protein/less carb than before)

Remember, diet's 80%, exercise is only 20%.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Go meet a trainer and get a routine set for you.

Now that you're looking to 'strength' train more, you will need to meet a nutritionist as well to reconfigure your macros(more protein/less carb than before)

Remember, diet's 80%, exercise is only 20%.

I'd like to directly address these points:

1) You will be lucky to find a trainer that understands the form and execution of compound lifts. On top of this you will be lucky to find a trainer who understands programming as well as Reg Park -> Bill Starr -> Rippetoe. Because when you buy Starting Strength you are in fact buying into a linear progression version of a battle-tested routine that has been handed down from generation to generation since the 50's.

2) Nutritionist? Sure, you could pay someone to tell you what to do. Or you could work out how much protein you need a day based off 0.8-1g/lb of bodyweight and alter the macros of the app in the settings tab. Then strive to eat foods high in protein so you meet your custom set goal.

I'm sure you meant well with this advice. But the variability in standards across both of these professions means that you have recommended the OP steps into a minefield. Sure she may wander safely through to the other side...