So what do you add to your Oatmeal...

Options

Replies

• Catlady87
    Catlady87 Posts: 302 Member
    Options
    Asda ready oats, skimmed milk and Options hot chocolate powder.
  • babyblues4
    babyblues4 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    3/4 cup egg whites
  • slouw10
    slouw10 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bananas or apple cut up, berries also very yum!
  • TinaBaily
    TinaBaily Posts: 792 Member
    Options
    What wonderful Ideas I've seen on here so far. One place to check out for some AMAZING and inspired (and delicious--can't forget that part!) oatmeal recipes is theoatmealartist.com. One of my MFP friends sent me to her site and my breakfasts have never been the same since. Here are a couple of my favorite combinations:

chocolate orange oatmeal

40g Old Fashioned oatmeal
    1C water
    1 orange (peeled, sectioned, and cut into bite sized pieces)
    10g Craisins
    1 tsp flaxseed (whole)
    1 tsp unsweetened cocoa powder

Cook oatmeal with Craisins and flaxseed, adding cocoa a minute or two before cooking time is done, stirring it in thoroughly. Add orange pieces once oatmeal is all cooked, stir in and enjoy. This is less than 300 calories and loaded with fiber.

apple cinnamon oatmeal

40g Old Fashioned oatmeal
    1C water
    1 small apple cored and diced (not peeled)
    1 tsp whole flaxseed
    10g Craisins
    1 tsp cinnamon

Cook oatmeal with Craisins and flaxseed, adding cinnamon at the very end. Add diced apples at the end, stir in and enjoy. Depending on the size of the apple, this is also less than 300 calories. If the apple is very small, I will increase the Craisins to 20g.

I have used sweet potato and Craisins with cinnamon, which makes a really unique breakfast.
  • mlopata1985
    Options
    I add a little bit of local honey (it helps with my allergies and tastes good) and a dash of salt!
  • hedwardsb
    hedwardsb Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I cook my oatmeal in Original unsweetened Almond milk instead of water. My latest favorite add-ins are: fresh sliced strawberries, a banana, 1 T whole flax seed, & 1T unsweetened coconut flakes.
    My other favorites:
    1 T peanut butter & 1/8 C semi sweet morsels
    Chopped apple, walnuts, & cinnamon
    Frozen blueberries & sliced almonds
    I love oatmeal for breakfast & as a treat!
  • kdmbennett
    kdmbennett Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Dried cranberries and toasted almond. Yum!
  • FreshKrisKreash
    FreshKrisKreash Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter and a spoon full of sugar! Amazing!:love:
  • cortez1954
    Options
    greek yogurt yum
  • sharebear2012
    sharebear2012 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    pretty simple, just looking for some new ideas. i use the quaker 1 minute oats and add 2 tbsp of pb2 chocolate, 1 tbsp cinnamon, and a couple packs of that aspartame just because it can kill me, lol...... livin life on the edge, lol

I now add almonds or nuts plus milk and a bit of sugar. This gives some protien to it. If I have a banana I add that.
  • FireflyJay
    Options
    pretty simple, just looking for some new ideas. i use the quaker 1 minute oats and add 2 tbsp of pb2 chocolate, 1 tbsp cinnamon, and a couple packs of that aspartame just because it can kill me, lol...... livin life on the edge, lol

I added some slivered almonds to mine this morning. It was pretty good :). I allow my oats to soak in fat free milk over night with the almonds.
  • AndrasLOHF
    AndrasLOHF Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to make a 1000+ calorie bowl of sludge. Usually it's 1 serving of oatmeal, 1 scoop of Syntha 6 chocolate peanut butter, 1 cup Fage plain yogurt(whole fat if I can find it), 4 tablespoons peanut butter, 2 servings dark chocolate chips.
  • Godan2b
    Godan2b Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar, one full scoop ON Hydro-Whey chocolate protein powder :)
  • donnat238
    donnat238 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    walnuts, raisins and cinnamon
  • LanaeCarol
    LanaeCarol Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    Usually raisins and either pecans (preferred) or walnuts. Sometimes I also add vanilla whey protein.
  • yesbutton
    Options
    I make a savoury oatmeal based on chinese congee:

So I cook the oatmeal with slices of ginger, add a little bit of pancetta and then add soy sauce to taste.
  • l0velife1
    l0velife1 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I buy the traditional oats and try to keep it pretty simple. I freeze sliced bananas and use about 1 bananas worth thawed (so it is mushy) and mix it in my oats. It's like adding sugar but healthier :) I then throw on a square of dark chocolate so it will melt and I can mix that in and some cinnamon. Sometimes I will throw other fruits on top if I have them available but this pretty much does the trick for me every time!
  • bumblebeez86
    bumblebeez86 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Great Ideas. I have been making it with milk and sweetener. Was getting bored the other day so added some raisins but I didn't like the texture. Some great ideas on here though I will have to try !
  • CynthiaT60
    CynthiaT60 Posts: 1,280 Member
    Options
    Old skool: cinnamon and raisins. Also, I cook it in the milk instead of cooking it in water and adding milk later.
  • Howdoyoufeeltoday
    Howdoyoufeeltoday Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    chocolate (either nutella, cocoa or a few chocolate chips) and coconut. peanut butter/banana. Peanut butter/chocolate. apple/cinnamon. raspberry/dried cranberry. I don't think there's anything I haven't tried. fresh Fruit/dried fruit/ nuts/ spreads/ sugars.... it's all gone into my oatmeal at one point or the other. Experiment.