Carb binge after strict keto

Options

Replies

• arcadia1983
    arcadia1983 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    if it was just one day and then you went back within 20g of carbs per day don't worry, you probably didn't actually accumulate weight despite what the scale might tell you and in a week or so will probably be even lower than were you started if you stay in line.
    Moreover, for some people seems to be actually beneficial to regularly have a carb nite, so don't bash yourself. it's going to be fine and you'll be back on track and shedding in no time :)
  • kiramaniac
    kiramaniac Posts: 800 Member
    Options
    Typically you can get back into ketosis within about 2-3 days. It varies by person. Keto adaptation is around 3-4 weeks. That's when I'd expect the cravings to dissipate and the "carb flu" symptoms to be fully eliminated.

Note: There are low carb and keto boards here on MFP. You might find more support there than here on the main forums.

Good luck!
  • Ang108
    Ang108 Posts: 1,711 Member
    Options

I didn't buy those things, I had done a baking day a few days earlier for my family, plus the kids and my husband had the other stuff in the cupboard for them. The in laws had given them some treats, knowing that I wasn't likely to end up eating them.

Wow, this must be a really tough situation for you. I am still in the phase ( after six month ) where I believe that in order not to overeat on certain items I have to avoid them all together, because otherwise I easily could eat a bowl of guacamole for example from 3 avocados......of course with the corresponding amount of chips.
    I can't give you any specific advise, because the metabolic rate is different for each person, but agree with the person who suggested to use up the surplus glucose ( there is more to it, but let's just call it glucose ) through extra exercise, but even without it the feeling that feels like a hangover should be gone in 48 hours more or less.
    Again, good luck !
  • benefiting
    benefiting Posts: 795 Member
    Options
    if you know your weakness, work it in. I would probably only work 1 "treat" in a day though. Tomorrow is new---start fresh and fuel your machine.

Agreed.
  • SnTsMum
    SnTsMum Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    if it was just one day and then you went back within 20g of carbs per day don't worry, you probably didn't actually accumulate weight despite what the scale might tell you and in a week or so will probably be even lower than were you started if you stay in line.
    Moreover, for some people seems to be actually beneficial to regularly have a carb nite, so don't bash yourself. it's going to be fine and you'll be back on track and shedding in no time :)

The thread has turned......lol

Thank you, I was avoiding vegetables because I was trying so hard to get enough protein/fat yet stay within 10g of carbs and low calorie. I think if I had been able to eat something else other than meat, it may not have happened.

I know I need to up my cals so I can include vegetables and exercise, it's just so damn hard when I am run ragged by my special needs son and his full on younger brother.
  • ldula88
    ldula88 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    ketosis is when you have a low enough carb intake that your body produces ketones instead of using glucose for energy. VLC diets put you in ketosis....
  • ldula88
    Options
    I definitely disagree that low carb is an unhealthy or unbalanced way of eating. I've been Paleo for quite a while now, and I find it extremely easy to eat only 15% of my daily intake from carbs. What's more, I am never hungry eating only 1200-1500 calories daily, whereas on high carb eating styles I would always be hungry. What I do know from experience, and what I think may have happened to you, is that during the first two weeks (especially the beginning through middle of the second week, I find) your system is finally starting to realize that you've dropped your carb intake, and it reacts by causing huge craving because the Standard American Diet we're so used to is so carb heavy. Once you get through the first two weeks, I find that carb cravings go away, and you won't have as much difficulty resisting carb binges. While it's true VLC isn't for everyone, I believe that many more people could benefit from it than they realize. :) good luck!

Low carb and keto are very different things, FYI.

ketosis is when you have a low enough carb intake that your body produces ketones instead of using glucose for energy. VLC diets put you in ketosis.
  • ldula88
    Options
    oops, don't know how that went through twice, my fault!!!! :P
  • jayrudq
    jayrudq Posts: 475 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know yourself pretty well and have figured most of this out...including what happened and more importantly, why. Have a plan for next time, because we all know there is always a next time. Look for early warning signs and then follow the plan you have set up for yourself.
    You will feel better soon.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    I don't need advice on my diet or my eating disorder.

I just want to know when I will feel better after consuming so much sugar.

When I go back into keto, or before?

This thread is making me feel worse.

Do you think the ill feeling could be due to overconsumption of food in general not just carbs?

And yes, you were undereating before which will make you prone to eating everything in sight from time to time.
  • SnTsMum
    SnTsMum Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    It sounds like you know yourself pretty well and have figured most of this out...including what happened and more importantly, why. Have a plan for next time, because we all know there is always a next time. Look for early warning signs and then follow the plan you have set up for yourself.
    You will feel better soon.

Thank you. I just had some protein and fat and I feel a little better. I hadn't eaten all day because of feeling sick. That wouldn't have helped matters. Being lactose intolerant and binging on chocolate is a recipe for disaster, too.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    Don't do a diet that messes you up and makes you unhinged.
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    Being lactose intolerant and binging on chocolate is a recipe for disaster, too.

I think you just answered your own question
  • Qski
    Qski Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    with the lactose intolerance and chocolate binging and wanting to try a keto diet to help with your disorder. Maybe you should look into chocolate substitutes that are high in protein and then if you really feel the need to binge, try to control a tiny part of it by choosing something that will help with your chocolate craving and keeping to you keto plan (and avoid lactose) - even if you blow out your calories for the day?

Also a while ago I read something like this and find the concept interesting, maybe you could look into that as well to see if it fits with your extreme desire for chocolate
    http://www.naturopathyworks.com/pages/cravings.php

I don't know how long feeling yucky will last sorry, I have not experienced what you have.
    just thought maybe on the off chance if you hadn't already had the suggestions above they may be useful.
    Good Luck with working through your ED.
  • SmashThatDeficit
    Options
    Just done exactly the same pal. Also have an ED, which I have been recovering from for frikkin' years. My advice, don't try chocolate substitutes or anything with sweeteners, I believe it still triggers that mental craving for more sweet stuff. Stick to savoury, and ride out urges for sugar, it's tough but you feel good the next day or whenever it finally passes.

Just blown my kcals and more for the day and blown ketosis out of the water to the point of being beached. My plan? Straight back to it. Anticipate feeling mega grim tomorrow and probs mega empty, will be a hard 2-3 days.

Brush it off sugar ..pun intended ;)
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hey, if you're interested in ketogenic diets you should check out http://www.bulletproofexec.com/category/bulletproofdiet/ .

On ketogenic diets you have to make sure your getting good quality fat from grass fed butter, mct oil, coconut oil, and/or olive oil. And you have to still eat carbs. Less than 10g of carbs is NOT GOOD AT ALL. Try for at least 50-100g veggies, sweet potatoes, brown/white rice. Try to buy whole foods and organic if possible.

Also you'r probably not gonna get a whole lot of support from MFP for high fat low carb diets.

Best Wishes
  • Chain_Ring
    Chain_Ring Posts: 753 Member
    Options
    How weird that you'd feel that way. I can't imagine why.
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    Sorry honey but you do sound 'unhinged' and like you are battling an eating disorder. The binge and abstain yo-yo, see-saw eating pattern you're in is not healthy. And it doesn't have to be that way. Seek help....if not for yourself, for your loved ones.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    The OP posted this at the end of November and hasn't posted anything since then. This is a dead thread.
  • xenl
    xenl Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    As long as you restrict yourself and consume too few calories you're going to find yourself binge eating. I used to try to adhere to 1200 net calories per day since that is what MFP had me at but I would be hungry and every few days binge eat. I saw NO results. I've been upping my calories every few days now to find that sweet spot. This past week I was doing 1600 net and the weight finally started to come off and more importantly, I wasn't starving by the end of the day and upset because I had "used up" my calories. I'd usually have enough left over to treat myself to cookies or chocolate. I consume chocolate in some form every day. You're setting yourself up to not see success by not getting adequate calories to nourish and treat your body.