IIFYM protein question

Options
2»

Replies

• devil_in_a_blue_dress
    devil_in_a_blue_dress Posts: 5,214 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is food. Nothing wrong with it.

Also this.
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is food. Nothing wrong with it.

It's really expensive though!
  • geebusuk
    geebusuk Posts: 3,348 Member
    Options
    If you buy expensive stuff.
    If you buy cheap stuff, it's often one of the cheapest ways to get lean protein per g.
    Possibly cheapest without being lean too.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is cheaper per gram of protein than almost anything else available. Much much more so than protein bars. You can get 35-40 grams of protein per dollar with powder. Protein bars max out around 10, maybe 12.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    If you buy cheap stuff, it's often one of the cheapest ways to get lean protein per g.

I was looking at those big containers at my local grocery store and they were pretty pricey for the amount of servings you got, but I'll have to look into it more-maybe an online option would be cheaper :) My grocery store seems to really mark up all their supplements :grumble:
  • jonnythan
    Options

I was looking at those big containers at my local grocery store and they were pretty pricey for the amount of servings you got, but I'll have to look into it more-maybe an online option would be cheaper :) My grocery store seems to really mark up all their supplements :grumble:

$45 for 5 lbs of Optimum Nutrition gives you like 1800 grams of protein.

How much would 1800 grams of protein cost from those bars you eat?
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Just did the calculation for you.

You'd have to buy $95 worth of 79 cent protein bars at 15 grams per bar to get as much protein as a $45 jug of Optimum Nutrition whey.
  • twixlepennie
    Options
    Just did the calculation for you.

You'd have to buy $95 worth of 79 cent protein bars at 15 grams per bar to get as much protein as a $45 jug of Optimum Nutrition whey.

Thanks-I'll definitely have to re-look at the powders :)
  • kayla1025
    kayla1025 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I just made this change a couple of weeks ago and am still working at it. I started out w/ a protein shake in the am, a protein bar, then 6-8oz of Chicken breast on Salad for lunch, lean protein (no deli meat if I can help it, I try for Salmon, Turkey Breast, Chicken Breast, Lean Beef and Venison) for dinner and cashews, greek yogurt, and cheese for snacks. I am morphing that a little now by doing egg frittatas with veggies and turkey sausage/bacon in the am instead of the shakes and bars. I figure the more real food the better. I'm finding that I really can only afford about 1-2 slices of bread a day trying to get my 100 grams.

3 take aways so far:
    1) I do not crave bread or starchy carbs at all. I choose to eat them occasionally, but they are because they fit and will enhance the current meal, not because I crave them. This took about 2 weeks to set in.

2) Where I am losing weight has changed. I am losing it from my stomach, which makes me happy. I have only lost about 5 lbs (3 weeks in) but I am very happy with that, and my belt as of this morning is on the last notch! Big NSV for me.

3) My skin looks way better. I'm not breaking out, and it's no longer dry. I struggled with this for years, MAJOR dry skin to the point that I would itch till it bled, arms, legs, and peeling skin on my face.

I also am NEVER hungry. Somedays I struggle to get all the protein in. I have found if I shoot for the protein, the carbs and fats pretty much fall into place. Also, my sodium intake has come WAY down as well. I wasn't even shooting for that, so it's nice to see the extra benefit!

Feel free to add me if you want, I'm still learning, but sometimes it helps to have people in the same boat :) Best of luck!

I also just started looking at my macros and paying attention to them... based off iifym.com and couldnt agree more with the above!!!
    It def helps with feeling fuller and the carb cravings have gone down!! And feeling slimmer... I have been doing this for about 2 weeks- and honestly my days where I am on point on my goals is about 3 days a week it is hard to stick to! But I do notice a difference on the days that I have been on point.
  • tilburn
    Options
    Im trying to up my protein levels and have bought some protein powder to try, Holland and Barrett do a reasonable price on their's, you buy one and get another for 1p!:) but im from the uk so might not have that anywhere else im not sure:) but I liked my protein shake:)
  • ATGsquats
    ATGsquats Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    My goal is 229 g of protein per day, I probably get little less than 100g from shake, but I also use 2% milk for my shake.
  • Rogiefreida
    Rogiefreida Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    I eat around over 100g of protein a day. Sometimes I hit it without protein powder, but most of the time I supplement with it. Just remember, you don't have to drink it in a shake--there's tons of recipes out there that you can make that work it in, or you can mix it with oatmeal, etc for a boost in protein. (bodybuilding.com has lots of great recipes).

I know the start up cost of most proteins is kind of high (like the Optimum Nutrition), but it's a good investment if you use it, and like jonnythan said, the cost is less than bars. Cellucor has lots of delicious flavors too. :)
  • Sunitagt
    Sunitagt Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I get close to 100g most days, usually around 85-90 from normal daily food. I have protein powder as well. I find that it is $1 per scoop for the stuff I get at Trader Joe's (Designer) which is 100 cals per scoop and I think 18 g of protein.

At any rate, I eat eggs, greek yogurt, milk, and meat to get to my goal each day. Only days I'm not as close are not pre-planned due to travel or family parties.
  • cavia
    cavia Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Sardines, chicken, beef, eggs, and milk mostly. I try to hit 100g daily as a minimum but I like to shoot for 120-140g and have been able to reach it with foods and no shakes. I enjoy protein shakes though so they are a pretty regular diary item for me.
  • Dechant63
    Options
    I eat around 240-260 grams a day. However 50g come from protein supplements. I eat carbs for breakfast and a few carbs throughout the day. Mostly just meat at every meal along with greens.