How do you sweeten your oatmeal?

Options
I've heard a lot of people on here talk about organic steel cut oatmeal and how great it is for you. Since I love oatmeal and didn't have any of the processed instant stuff at home to tempt me, I went to a local shop and picked up a bowl. I asked for strawberries and blueberries to be mixed in, which helped with the flavor, but overall it was extremely bland. I knew it would be made with water and not milk and probably wouldn't be sweetened, but I was still surprised. When I brought it home, I added one spoonful of honey, and that made it just sweet enough to be edible. I figured doing that was healthier than adding processed sugar. What do you guys do to sweeten your oatmeal, but still keep the meal low cal and healthy?

Replies

• ibleedunionblue
    ibleedunionblue Posts: 324 Member
    Options
    I add 1 scoop cellucor or optimum nutrition protein and 1 packet sugar substitute to 1 cup oatmeal.
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    You don't have to eat organic.

You can add stevia/splenda/insert artificial sweetner of choice.
    Bananas.
    Dates.
    Agave
    Honey
    Maple Syrup
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    You can use a sugar substitute if you want to keep calories low, like Splenda or Stevia. I'm not a fan of them, whether processed or natural, I just don't like the taste so I just make room for the calories and use raw honey, real maple syrup or agave. I also like raisins in mine and that adds sweetness.
  • Phoenix_Warrior
    Phoenix_Warrior Posts: 1,633 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't classify things as healthy or unhealthy as that's determined by overall diet, not individual foods. As in, your health is determined by how you balance your macronutrients. So, I don't cut things out or label things. I use peanut butter or granola (best if put in after cooking, otherwise it's kind of floppy and gross). Peanut butter helps me better hit my fat macro. I love oatmeal, it's a great source of fiber. Using sugar isn't going to kill you or hurt your efforts, either, if you choose to do so.
  • smiley245
    smiley245 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    Ripe Bananas. A splash of maple syrup.
    Also like mine unsweetened apple sauce and cinnamon.
    My fave lately has been berries and a bit of vanilla. Just something about the scent of vanilla that makes things seem sweet.
  • FitFabFlirty92
    FitFabFlirty92 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys, keep them coming! Trust me, I don't eat organic at all, nor will I ever, lol. This one meal just happened to be organic because it was from a health food bagel shop (I know, sounds like an oxymoron). I didn't want to add too many calories or negate the health value of the meal by adding too much junk. But in hindsight, I suppose a spoonful of sugar wouldn't have hurt.
  • piersonj
    piersonj Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    Do you know if the business uses salt in preparing the steel cut oatmeal? This is one of the things I will add salt to, it needs it. For me, salt in the water as I cook the oatmeal and some cinnamon really helps the flavor. I don't like very sweet things, so a banana or roasted apples gives enough sweet for a bowl. One of the main reasons I don't like sugar substitutes is I find it hard to use a little enough quantity not to over sweeten my food and beverages. One packet of Stevia will sweeten 6 mugs of tea for me.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    Steel cut oats are great in a crockpot

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/overnight-oatmeal-recipe/index.html

switch out the dried fruit for fruits of your choice, I think I used apricots and blueberries.
  • editorgrrl
    editorgrrl Posts: 7,060 Member
    Options
    I microwave quick-cook steelcut oats packets made w/ vanilla sugar (bury vanilla beans in turbinado sugar), nonfat dry milk & dried or freeze-dried fruit. My favorite is dried apricots & a little candied ginger. Sometimes I add fresh fruit, like pomegranate seeds or banana. http://www.theyummylife.com/Instant_Oatmeal_Packets
  • votkuhr
    votkuhr Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    1. Manuka honey! :)
    2. Ripe bananas (mashed)
    3. Low-fat/sugar high-protein chocolate milk (nom nom nom)
  • weightliftingdiva
    weightliftingdiva Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Dried cranberries and flaked coconut add some sugar and flavor to oatmeal (just take care to measure them properly). Honestly oatmeal is a blank canvas to me, I'll put anything in it. I like using fruits to add some sweetness and nutrition, but I've also used brown sugar/maple syrup/honey. I like bananas, diced apples, cinnamon, walnuts/almonds too.
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Banana, apple, coconut,
  • Mbuhler
    Mbuhler Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Well, I don't classify things as healthy or unhealthy as that's determined by overall diet, not individual foods. As in, your health is determined by how you balance your macronutrients. So, I don't cut things out or label things. I use peanut butter or granola (best if put in after cooking, otherwise it's kind of floppy and gross). Peanut butter helps me better hit my fat macro. I love oatmeal, it's a great source of fiber. Using sugar isn't going to kill you or hurt your efforts, either, if you choose to do so.

I totally agree... I can't give up my tablespoon of brown sugar on my oatmeal. I also throw in some dried cranberries for an extra kick. It's all about balance. I've tried some of the other alternatives but they just don't feel as real and as comforting as a bit of brown sugar!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Sugar-free syrup is an entirely decent way to make oatmeal and cream of wheat sweeter without adding many calories.
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    Any kind of oatmeal is bland to me! But the steel cut oats (I use Bob's Red Mill) seem to have a little nuttier flavor. I usually add 1/2 cup of berries, 2 tsp of splenda brown sugar blend, and 1/2 c. skim milk.
  • Wondergirll
    Options
    Honey and berries. Yummy!
  • sillyvalentine
    sillyvalentine Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    Brown sugar!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    I make mine by subbing some of the water for unsweetened vanilla almond milk, add raisins, craisins, apples and/or bananas and generous sprinklings of cinnamon, nutmeg and ginger. Nice mix of a little sweetness from the fruit, creaminess from the milk and flavoring from the spices. Yum!
  • franzhaydn
    Options
    Ripe bananas + coconut cream!
    Also, a teaspoon of raisins is great too!
    I don't like honey because it melts and you can hardly taste it :(
  • DianeEvans69
    DianeEvans69 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    chopped dried apricots