Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options
train_01
train_01 Posts: 135 Member
I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.
  • reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Why do we need an alternative for ice cream?
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!

That does not sound like a good alternative at all. What makes ice cream not "healthy" and lite cool whip "healthier"?
  • JTick
    JTick Posts: 2,131 Member
    Options
    I prefer ice cream. Now though, I buy the really good expensive stuff. It's rich enough I find one serving satisfying, and I get really exited when I try a new flavor I love. Right now it's Graeters blueberry pie ice cream. :love:
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    I applaud you for trying something different to break your pattern. Pretty sure Cool Whip is all chemicals though so it may not be any healthier even if it is lower in calories.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

^this.^ Unless you are lactose intolerant, just eat the ice cream and make room for it in your calorie deficit. It's better than Cool Whip.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Don't be fooled! Ice cream is not unhealthy, in and of itself. In evaluating healthy eating, you have to evaluate your diet as a whole, not individual food items. If you are struggling, try adding ice cream to your diary first, then plan the rest of your day around it to ensure you hit your daily macros and calories. You'll soon find out that it's easy to fit in a dessert. I eat dessert almost every day.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I applaud you for trying something different to break your pattern. Pretty sure Cool Whip is all chemicals though so it may not be any healthier even if it is lower in calories.

Ice cream is *all* chemicals too. So is water. So is your body. Everything is made of of chemicals; they are the building blocks of our world.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.

Any kind of plain "biscuit" or sweet cracker will do. In the US, a the graham cracker was not originally sweet, but then they started adding honey to the recipe to imitate a British biscuit. It is basically wheat flour with wheat germ and bran that has been lightly sweetened, rolled out flat, then baked.
  • skinnybythanksgiving
    Options
    Frozen banana, frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup milk blended with a few ice cubes. Very good.
  • My_Own_Worst_Enemy
    My_Own_Worst_Enemy Posts: 218 Member
    Options

Cause if you eat it, youll get fat. I usually substitute ice cream with this:

rc3f9k.jpg

PM me if you want the recipe.
  • reality_girl
    reality_girl Posts: 165 Member
    Options

rc3f9k.jpg

PM sent
  • mrsamanda86
    mrsamanda86 Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    Sounds more like a sub-par alternative for s'mores. I'll stick with fitting in ice cream or frozen yogurt. One or even two servings of most ice creams isn't really that high in calories so I don't know why you feel the need to sub it.. but whatever works for you!
  • climbing_trees
    climbing_trees Posts: 726 Member
    Options
    Frozen banana, frozen strawberries and 1/2 cup milk blended with a few ice cubes. Very good.
    This is delicious. I like to make it with just frozen banana, so creamy!

You can add cocoa powder, other fruits, peanut butter, cinnamon, whatever you like for different flavors~
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options

rc3f9k.jpg

I'm pretty sure if I eat my kids, someone's gonna contact Child Protective Services on me. Ice cream probably tastes better, and there are a lot out there with 120 cals or less, like Edy's double churned. I got that graham cracker and Cool Whip thing from Weight Watchers years ago. It's good, but definitely not a sub for ice cream.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options

Frozen banana, 1 tbsp nondairy flavored coffee creamer or half and half. Blend until its like soft serve. Yummy!
  • beekay70
    beekay70 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    The average ice cream sandwich has less than 200 calories.
  • SexKittenlovesitrough
    Options
    send all your ice cream to me then....I'll PM you my address OP
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if I eat my kids, someone's gonna contact Child Protective Services on me. Ice cream probably tastes better, and there are a lot out there with 120 cals or less, like Edy's double churned. I got that graham cracker and Cool Whip thing from Weight Watchers years ago. It's good, but definitely not a sub for ice cream.

ROFL.

Also, eating ice cream doesn't make you fat. Eating too many calories makes you fat. Fit ice cream in if you love it. If you just want something sweet that has fewer calories, that's awesome and totally up to you, but if you want ice cream - just frickin' make ice cream fit your calories for the day! Heck, the last time I was at a hotel that had a good mini-store, they had the tiny things of Haagen Daz. I read the calories, realized I could easily fit one of those tubs in, had one, realized I still had 200 calories for the day, had another. I don't do it every day, most days I fill those calories with other things, but it fit my calories, my macros were fine for the day, and I was craving something sweet, so I did it. I got home, lost 2 pounds that week.

Ice cream doesn't make you fat.
  • Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    IIFYM......