"Manly" Women Unite!

Options

Replies

• usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    I think it is great we can celebrate what our bodies can do that may seem "manly" to some, but showing that we are still fully women. I have more of an hour glass shape now that I have muscle than I ever did before. It has taken years for me to build enough mass to become a natural bodybuilder and I'm still too small to compete as anything other other than a local amateur.
  • FindingMyPerfection
    FindingMyPerfection Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    This is a beautiful celebration of strength and beauty. Those who feel it has been in any way an attack on others goals have not taken this thread in the spirit it was posted in. It is perfectly fine if you don't want this type of physique. Just because some like minded people are coming together to celebrate strength does not mean we have in any way shamed or bad mouthed any alternate goals.
  • LuLuChick78
    LuLuChick78 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    I lift and I really don't care what people think about it. To each his/her own. I'm in it for me, not anyone else. As for the comments that were referred to, there was one about wimpy chicks and one about skinny girls look good in clothes, etc., and one about girls that are afraid to lift are probably too lazy. If this thread is about celebrating women who lift, then celebrate women who lift without commenting about anyone else. Just my 2 cents.

I don't recall seeing the "wimpy" or "lazy" comments (I could go back and look though...) but the "skinny girls look good in clothes" is a common quote that I have seen over the years. I don't think it was intended as anything other than that...and don't all girls want to look good in clothes? Sorry for the compliment I guess.

ETA: I didn't write any of the comments you mention, so if you desire any further clarification you will have to message the person that did.
  • LuLuChick78
    Options
    This is a beautiful celebration of strength and beauty. Those who feel it has been in any way an attack on others goals have not taken this thread in the spirit it was posted in. It is perfectly fine if you don't want this type of physique. Just because some like minded people are coming together to celebrate strength does not mean we have in any way shamed or bad mouthed any alternate goals.

Thank you for that. That is exactly how it was intended. :flowerforyou:
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options
    I lift and I really don't care what people think about it. To each his/her own. I'm in it for me, not anyone else. As for the comments that were referred to, there was one about wimpy chicks and one about skinny girls look good in clothes, etc., and one about girls that are afraid to lift are probably too lazy. If this thread is about celebrating women who lift, then celebrate women who lift without commenting about anyone else. Just my 2 cents.

I don't recall seeing the "wimpy" or "lazy" comments (I could go back and look though...) but the "skinny girls look good in clothes" is a common quote that I have seen over the years. I don't think it was intended as anything other than that...and don't all girls want to look good in clothes? Sorry for the compliment I guess.

ETA: I didn't write any of the comments you mention, so if you desire any further clarification you will have to message the person that did.
    The lazy comment was in reference to women who think lifting will turn them into massive body builders. The comment was something like: don't worry about it most are to lazy to reach that point. I think it is on the first or second page.
  • wolfsbayne
    wolfsbayne Posts: 3,116 Member
    Options

Just to clarify, I don't think that the poster referring to the comments said it was the OP that stated them. She just said that a "few" comments. I *did* go back to find the comments I thought she was referring to and they're there. Like I said, I lift and I think it's great that women do it, but to each her own. Like you said in the original post, if you don't want to do it, don't. I couldn't care less what people think I look like. As I posted earlier, why not just celebrate lifting women without the snarky comments about those who don't? *shrugs*

Clarification: I was just pointing out the comments that the poster was referring to in the body shaming comment. I know you didn't make those comments. I think you look great and all of these women that have worked their tail ends off to get the body that they desired look great. My hats off to anyone that takes the initiative to do what it takes to get the body *they* want.
  • docbrox87
    Options
    I am sick and tired of reading that girls with muscles are manly. If you personally do not like it, then don't attempt it!

I work my freaking *kitten* off trying to build muscle. As a woman who doesn't use steroids to do so it is a VERY slow process. It takes time, effort and dedication. To hear other women fret about looking "manly" and how they don't want to wake up one day ripped to shreds with bulging muscles is very insulting, naive, uneducated, etc, etc, etc.....

Please educate yourselves before making broad generalizations about a body type that you seem to know nothing about nor wish to attain.

Here are my "manly" muscles. I am quite proud of what I have accomplished in just one year of lifting. I look like this flexed, but unflexed you wouldn't really notice my arms....just saying.

f5704fb4-a257-4a7c-865e-855b81ede54f_zps7607a756.jpg?t=1390249723

End rant.

We have a saying in Glasgow - " GAWN YERSEL HEN!" which loosely translates as "sack what anyone else says/thinks and do yer thing!"
    You look awesome! Wish I could be as ripped as this!
  • Lisa1971
    Lisa1971 Posts: 3,069 Member
    Options
    You look great, OP! FABULOUS!
  • FindingMyPerfection
    Options

Your shoulders are amazing!:love:
  • LuLuChick78
    Options

Your shoulders are amazing!:love:
    :blushing:
  • AZ_Gato
    AZ_Gato Posts: 1,270 Member
    Options
    I am sick and tired of reading that girls with muscles are manly. If you personally do not like it, then don't attempt it!

I work my freaking *kitten* off trying to build muscle. As a woman who doesn't use steroids to do so it is a VERY slow process. It takes time, effort and dedication. To hear other women fret about looking "manly" and how they don't want to wake up one day ripped to shreds with bulging muscles is very insulting, naive, uneducated, etc, etc, etc.....

Please educate yourselves before making broad generalizations about a body type that you seem to know nothing about nor wish to attain.

Here are my "manly" muscles. I am quite proud of what I have accomplished in just one year of lifting. I look like this flexed, but unflexed you wouldn't really notice my arms....just saying.

f5704fb4-a257-4a7c-865e-855b81ede54f_zps7607a756.jpg?t=1390249723

End rant.

What a beautiful body you've sculpted LuLu. Love the example you've set for other manly ladies on here ; )

Keep killing it you sexy beasts!
  • Briargrey
    Briargrey Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    Speaking of awesomely muscular woman, my daughter and I were walking down the stairs from the 4th floor free weights room to the basement locker room when the crossfitters overtook the stairs to run. One of the women had SUCH amazing muscle tone and looked SO fabulous I wanted to run after her and let her know I thought she looked awesome. I was super envious of her calves and thighs. ;)

I didn't because...

1. It might be unwelcome and seen as creepy
    2. Dear freaking god, she was in shape and no way in HELL was I going to be able to catch her.

So hey, if you do crossfit, you're in central WA, and you workout at the Y and were on the stairs today - you look amazing. In a non-creepy way. Totally.

Fit is hot. All the pix here prove that! [Non-fit can also be hot, not saying otherwise - I got plenty of appreciation regardless of my weight from my other half (and the random stranger from time to time)].
  • PghPensFan69
    PghPensFan69 Posts: 2,393 Member
    Options
    The January vs July pic is awesome!
  • anji888
    Options
    I would consider myself lucky to be as manly as you are by this time next year. :) People are dumb. I ignore them (and vice versa, I'm sure). Keep up the great work! <3
  • karllundy
    karllundy Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    This thread has made profile creeping for hot beautiful women so easssyyyyy

lol joking!

No, you're not

I'm not either...
    :happy:
  • MicheleWE
    MicheleWE Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I think you all look fantastic! I've been working at it for a year now and I know how much hard work has to be done to get where you are, or maybe I don't know because as hard as I have worked I still am not anywhere near where I'd like to be. So my hat is off to you!
  • FloyMcCaudie
    FloyMcCaudie Posts: 1,132
    Options
    I am just here to say muscular chicks are hot. Js
  • ItsMeGee3
    ItsMeGee3 Posts: 13,254 Member
    Options
    One of these days. When I grow up!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    9298177f-bc38-4b4c-8eb2-c4981cb379c6.jpg

This is what lifting did to me (I hope this works!)
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    I don't have as many muscles as I'd like. But I'm a manly woman wannabe.
    I do work out with almost all men.