What vitamins do you take?

Options
124»

Replies

• just_Jennie1
    just_Jennie1 Posts: 1,233
    Options
    ALL vitamins should be prescribed by a health care professional

Of course your doctor would say that because they're not regulated by the FDA and therefore she's not getting the kickbacks that she'd receive if they were available by prescription only.

Vitamins should NOT be regulated by the FDA nor should they be available by prescription only. That's absolutely ludicrous.
  • PaleoPath4Lyfe
    PaleoPath4Lyfe Posts: 3,161 Member
    Options

Of course your doctor would say that because they're not regulated by the FDA and therefore she's not getting the kickbacks that she'd receive if they were available by prescription only.

Vitamins should NOT be regulated by the FDA nor should they be available by prescription only. That's absolutely ludicrous.

Actually Doctors are saying to STOP taking vitamins all together.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/17/docs-say-stop-taking-multivitamins/
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options

Actually Doctors are saying to STOP taking vitamins all together.

http://healthland.time.com/2013/12/17/docs-say-stop-taking-multivitamins/

This is my doctor-he put me on the D3 and aspirin regiment because blood test showed I'm deficient in D and the aspirin is to help prevent another blood clot (had one a couple years ago). He told me not to take anything else besides those.
  • SwedishMel
    SwedishMel Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    NONe big waste of $$$$$. Eat a proper diet and you don't need them. That is from my MD.

My MD told me to take a multi (preferably prenatal) and a multi B vitamin. Apparently not all MD's consider them a waste.
  • SwedishMel
    Options
    Thanks everyone for posting what they take! I did get some good info here. :smile:
  • henriettevanittersum
    Options
    I was tested deficient in some areas, so now take:

PreMenopause Womens Multi Vit & Min (Progressive)
    D3 (winter only)
    B complex (I like my wine)
    Magnesium
    Calcium & Magnesium
    Iron (Floradix liquid)
    Align Pro Biotic (Finally lost most of the bloating)
    Vit C (I am prone to bladder infections, so at least 1000 mg a day)
  • SwedishMel
    Options
    I'm doing my diet. I'm doing my exercising. I'm eating often to keep my metabolism up. And I'm being a good girl and taking my vitamins. And so far it's working. I'm losing weight.

I take echinacea, nature made brand multi for her, biotin, and a vitamin C pill.

I've seen so many different comments about different vitamins people take and wonder what vitamins work for you? Or maybe you can recommend a better one for me? I've already heard all the arguments that echinacea isn't going to do anything for me, blah, blah, blah. But I already own the darn pills so it won't hurt for me to take them until the bottle is empty.

Curious.. How does echinacea benefit you? I usually only take them when I feel a cold coming on.

Every time I would get sick my mother, aunt, and a few coworkers would tell me it's my fault because I'm not taking echinacea daily. And that if I took echinacea on a daily basis it would keep me from getting sick. I still don't believe it. There are plenty of times I did take it constantly & still managed to get the same sickness that was going around that everyone else got. But I know some people who swear by it. I have a bottle (that my mother insisted I buy) and I'm going to take one a day until I finish it out. But I'm not really wanting to buy anymore after it's empty.

On a different note, I got some really good advice on this string! I may be changing up/adding to my vitamin intake.

I know about taking a B complex vitamin if you're feeling sad/depressed. My docs told me about how if you're a coffee drinker you should also take a B complex because coffee will deplete your body of B vitamins. I haven't taken a B complex in awhile because I haven't felt the need to, but I may start again. Now that I'm dieting & upping my exercising I've been drinking a lot more coffee.
  • kakemono
    kakemono Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Daily:
    Fermented Cod Liver Oil - 1 tsp
    High Vitamin Butter Oil - 2 Capsules
    Vitamin C - 1 Gram
    Liquid Sublingual Vitamin D3 - 5000iu
    Homemade Bone Broth - 8 oz

On days I work out, before bed:
    ZMA
    Serrapeptase

One per week to address specific nutrient deficiencies:
    Zinc 50mg
    Chromium 300mg
  • denisemiriam71
    Options
    Currently I am taking,

Daily vitamin, mineral and antioxidants
    Omega-3
    Vitamin D
    Vitamin C

So far, I am satisfied with my energy levels throughout the day. My daily job is somewhat stressfull and I needed a little boost.

I recently discovered the vitamins USANA http:// advitam.usana.com/ and since then I really believe that the vitamin brand is equally important.
  • shano25
    shano25 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Vitamin D - because I live in the Great White North and because of studies showing it can help decrease the risk of cancer, my doctor figured it couldn't hurt.

Vitamin B Complex - as part of my "no more anxiety" plan

Calcium + Magnesium - for absorption of the vitamin d and for better sleep

Vitamin C - with meals to help with the absorption of plant-based iron since I don't eat meat.

I personally don't feel that multivitamins are appropriate. I think the majority of the vitamins in it, we can get adequately through food. It's better to supplement where you have specific deficiencies or medical needs.
  • crevices
    crevices Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    i take a one a day womens multi although i dont really know why, i initially bought them when i was 'extreme' dieting and had difficulties reaching my calcium/iron levels but i eat balanced now and my vit a/b etc are all like 700% a day lol
  • kshepard1333
    kshepard1333 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The food, environment, stress, and illnesses I have give me a need for vitamins.
    Sure I pee out the extra--but I get regular blood work. All of these recommended by my doctors.

I take Vit D - tests are very low even taking 5000mg a day. Doc recommended Vit K2 - and to take Calcium separately. And another one that's related - I can't remember. There are new studies on this - my primary care had never heard of this but is now very interested.
    I am prone to stroke and calcium can "float around" instead of getting to my bones. I know I'm not explaining it quite right but yall can read up on it.

Doc said to take 2000 (in separate doses) to treat HDL LDL Lipid Triglyceride -- I do not want to take RX for this because of side effects. I also have a brain injury - so I take this for that reason too. Also for neurological reasons.

I'm 3 weeks in on MFP journey. What an eye opener! I am so much more educated about food and fiber.

Vit B complex - stress

Chromium w/Cinnamon - even blood sugar

I also follow an anti inflammatory diet - avoiding sugar, tomatoes, eggplant - all nightshade veggies. VERY Important.

So, as it has been said, talk to doctors. Multiple doctors. Also recommended, buy the ones manufactured in the US. Watch the additives
    I avoid soy for hormone reasons. Also avoid GMO - not sure what the stuff is - so why not avoid it? A lot of vitamins have corn fillers. So read the label.
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    D (I had a deficiency - working an office job I hardly get to see sunlight) and B12.