Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.

Any kind of plain "biscuit" or sweet cracker will do. In the US, a the graham cracker was not originally sweet, but then they started adding honey to the recipe to imitate a British biscuit. It is basically wheat flour with wheat germ and bran that has been lightly sweetened, rolled out flat, then baked.
  • tiggsnanny
    tiggsnanny Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    oooops meant to quote Wendyterry, thankyou I think a digestive might be a good alternative, our crackers are more savoury for cheese etc :smile:
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    I'll eat the real ice cream, thanks anyway.
  • Biddygirl77
    Biddygirl77 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative? Unless you have something nice or helpful, why post a response? Just carry on and let her be. Sheesh! Go ahead, bash me if you must to make yourself feel better. By the way, I love using a frozen banana blended in my food processor with peanut butter. That is my ice cream alternative. :-)
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Why do we need an alternative for ice cream?

Cause if you eat it, youll get fat. I usually substitute ice cream with this:

rc3f9k.jpg

PM me if you want the recipe.

How will eating some ice cream make you fat?
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
  • Godsbabygirl1
    Options
    I would love to read your recipe for a ice cream sub :) thank you
  • Kamnikar64
    Kamnikar64 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!
    If that works for you, great! This is a recipe site, not attack the OP. We all have little things that sound weird to others concerning calories in and calories out.
  • mccindy72
    Options
    I LOVE ICE CREAM! I must shout it to everyone! Fortunately, ice cream isn't exactly "healthy". I did come up with a good alternative that is...you'll never believe it...UNDER 200 cals! Just take chocolate graham crackers (low fat or reduced cal if you can find them) break them in half and make a "sandwich" with Lite Cool Whip in the middle. Freeze for two hours. Tastes just like an ice cream sandwich with WAY less calories (about 130 for two sandwiches using full calorie graham crackers). YUM!
    If that works for you, great! This is a recipe site, not attack the OP. We all have little things that sound weird to others concerning calories in and calories out.

Who's attacking? We're just asking questions and discussing. Since when is a disagreement an attack?
  • hellraisedfire
    hellraisedfire Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*

Right! I think this is the main point. People need to realize that food should be judged in *context* to the entire diet. Struggling to fit a food item into your diet is a creativity issue, and for some, it makes sense to eat something lower in calories that still provides satisfaction. It is not correct though, to just label any particular food as good or bad. Sometimes when people say that, it's related to their own poor relationship with food. Other times, it is simply a lack of knowledge. No one is trying to be harsh, from what I have seen, just pointing out the facts.
  • myrahampe
    myrahampe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    that sounds amazing! thank you!!
  • mccindy72
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.

OP said ice cream is unhealthy and offered Cool Whip as an alternative. It's not throwing around negativity to state that ice cream is not unhealthy. I feel pretty darn good about myself, by the way.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I got blue bunny fat free icecream thats 90 cals a serving...I have to have the "real" stuff, there isnt a substitute for me...but im glad you found one
  • Focusisfab
    Options
    Flavored stevia over ice chips.:smooched:
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    oooops meant to quote Wendyterry, thankyou I think a digestive might be a good alternative, our crackers are more savoury for cheese etc :smile:

Well there you go. (I had to Google it) But yep, sounds perfect.

And FTR, I :heart: Cool Whip! It isn't as good as real cream, but it has its uses (and can be considered a "convenience" food), and to me is quite yummy!
  • MysteriousMerlin
    MysteriousMerlin Posts: 2,270 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure if I eat my kids, someone's gonna contact Child Protective Services on me.

but they're soooooo good when frozen. Crunchy!
  • krazyforyou
    krazyforyou Posts: 1,428 Member
    Options
    I am currently onto blood orange sorbet, half the calories all the flavor
  • SailorKnightWing
    SailorKnightWing Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    As someone who just kind of likes ice cream but loves whipped cream, thank you!
  • karmonhymes
    Options
    You go girl!