The best gym equipment for weight loss?

Options
Could anyone tell me what the best gym equipment is for weight loss? I've joined the gym and am off there tomorrow morning for a workout, but i have absolutely no idea what im doing! HELP!?

Replies

• MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Buy the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and follow the plan. :-)
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    From what I've noticed, the ellipticals burn more calories than the other machines that I've tried. I've recently joined a gym as well and I know I should get more into weights but am too intimidated. I have 2 free personal trainer sessions that came with my membership so I'll make sure to get help there.
  • shaydon80
    shaydon80 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I think it's a mix of cardio and weights. Find which ever cardio equipment you enjoy and go for it :)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The machines you will use and enjoy and keep going back for.
  • qtgonewild
    qtgonewild Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    i love/hate the elliptical.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options
    Free weights. Buy the book "New Rules of Lifting for Women" and follow the plan. :-)

THIS

Not only is it a progressive weight lifting plan, it prevents you from wandering around the gym looking lost. I made a chart for each exercise, pictures if you don't remember what the exercise is. Mark down the weights you're using so you can GRADUALLY increase them throught the weeks. I also do 15 minutes of cardio before and after I lift.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    table push always and fork put downs.

stuff at the gym helps you get fit- not lose weight.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    From what I've noticed, the ellipticals burn more calories than the other machines that I've tried. I've recently joined a gym as well and I know I should get more into weights but am too intimidated. I have 2 free personal trainer sessions that came with my membership so I'll make sure to get help there.

That machine tends to overestimate calories. Most likely you burn more on the treadmill, if you use a HRM you will get a much better estimate than the machine for elliptical.
  • rml_16
    Options

THIS

Not only is it a progressive weight lifting plan, it prevents you from wandering around the gym looking lost. I made a chart for each exercise, pictures if you don't remember what the exercise is. Mark down the weights you're using so you can GRADUALLY increase them throught the weeks. I also do 15 minutes of cardio before and after I lift.
    I read that book. Then I went to the gym, walked to the free weights section and realized nothing looked like in the book and I had no idea where to start.

So ....
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and look for this machine in your gym.

squat_rack.jpg

And do StrongLifts or NROL in it
  • taranew21
    taranew21 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Looks like it's a combo between weights and cardio! i'll write all this down on my phone so i can remember it when i get there!
  • ginnycarroll77
    ginnycarroll77 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    positive-attitude
  • feelin_gr_8
    feelin_gr_8 Posts: 308 Member
    Options

That machine tends to overestimate calories. Most likely you burn more on the treadmill, if you use a HRM you will get a much better estimate than the machine for elliptical.

I always assume they all overestimate...just to play it safe. It's also the easiest on my knees. Bikes and treadmills make me cringe...but that's not an issue for everyone.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

THIS

I read that book. Then I went to the gym, walked to the free weights section and realized nothing looked like in the book and I had no idea where to start.

So ....

you're gym doesn't have a squat rack or power cage?

and you don't know how to google.

okay got it.
  • lilRicki
    lilRicki Posts: 4,555 Member
    Options

THIS

So ....

I took each exercise, googled them, watched some videos, saved some pictures and hit the gym as soon as I could. It's fun, and works really well. I also googled alternatives, because I can't get my fat *kitten* to do a jackknife to save my life, so I found alternatives. It's a good place to start, and the book is cheap.
  • juliemouse83
    juliemouse83 Posts: 6,663 Member
    Options
    Eat at a deficit and look for this machine in your gym.

squat_rack.jpg

And do StrongLifts of NROL in it

^^^ Oh, SO MUCH this! ^^^^

I want one of those so badly for the house I can't stand it! :)
  • rml_16
    Options

I always assume they all overestimate...just to play it safe. It's also the easiest on my knees. Bikes and treadmills make me cringe...but that's not an issue for everyone.
    Using an HRM I burn far more on the elliptical than on the treadmill. But it depends on what you do and how high you set the resistence, how fast you go, etc. Working full intensity at a high resistence burns more on the elliptical. Because it's low-impact, it feels like you're working less when you're actually working more.
  • shar140
    shar140 Posts: 1,158 Member
    Options
    The machines you will use and enjoy and keep going back for.

This!

ETA: machines or equipment, and the ones you will want to keep pushing yourself to progress.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    table push always and fork put downs.

stuff at the gym helps you get fit- not lose weight.
    This.

As for the gym, I recommend Stronglifts for a lifting routine, that New Rules routine is way too over complicated, way too much extraneous stuff in it.

For cardio, do whatever you enjoy.
  • rml_16
    Options

THIS

So ....

you're gym doesn't have a squat rack or power cage?

and you don't know how to google.

okay got it.
    I don't know. Nothing looked the same. And why should I have to google what's IN A BOOK that's supposed to explain it all? It had photos and descriptions, but it was not helpful at all once I tried to incorporate it in reality.

I should have just googled in the first place and saved the money I spent on the useless book.