Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• NRSPAM
    NRSPAM Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Well, at least she isn't suggesting Artic Zero.
    Sadness in a pint.

OMG, I was thinking that's what this would be too! I tried this the other day, 'cuz I was like COOL, a whole pint for 150 cal's!!! Thought it'd be worth a shot, but noooo....DISGUSTING!!! I'd rather eat the weight watchers ice creams or the real thing. ;) Geeeeeroooss!
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mho6sw6GaS1r3d8abo1_500_large.gif

LIEUTENANT DAAN! FLAVORED STEVIA OVER ICE CHIPS!
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Can't get cool whip here so, I'm soooo sorry to report that I just have to eat alllll the ice cream.

01-steuermann_landliebe-eiscreme.1st.jpg

cry for me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    OP - just eat the ice cream and maintain a calorie deficit. I eat ice cream on the regular and have no problem hitting my goals...

what is next, cauliflower ice cream? Geez...
  • Veritastruth
    Veritastruth Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    graham crackers are like a soft cracker/cookie. You could use crumbled biscotti, vanilla wafer cookies, or even gingersnaps.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    Speaking of ice cream recipes, my favorite is this one:

- Scoop Breyer's coffee ice cream into bowl until desired quantity is obtained. (I use a digital kitchen scale.)

- Consume with a spoon.

It's delicious...and at only 130 calories per serving, can be a part of nearly any reasonable daily calorie limit.

breyer20coffee20half20g.gif

Thank you for posting, i will have to give this a try. Just a couple questions...
    Can I sub for another flavor?
    May I use a fork to consume?
    If I eyeball the entire tub as 1/2ish cups, will that change the caloric value?

You can, but results may not be as awesome. Breyer's has recently introduced "frozen dairy desserts" that just aren't, well, ice cream.

Yes, you may use a fork, but you'll find a difficult problem if you eat it too slowly.

The entire tub is 6 cups or 12 servings. I may or may not have entries like this in my food diary.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative? Unless you have something nice or helpful, why post a response? Just carry on and let her be. Sheesh! Go ahead, bash me if you must to make yourself feel better. By the way, I love using a frozen banana blended in my food processor with peanut butter. That is my ice cream alternative. :-)

because labeling foods "unhealthy' and then seeking an alternate is not necessary. There is nothing wrong with eating ice cream. Thinking foods are bad is what sets people up for failure, because they restrict to the point of binging...
  • Pirate_chick
    Pirate_chick Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Here regular food lion brand ice cream, french Vanilla is 130 cal for 1/2 cup. also, I love the skinny cow ice cream sandwiches as a special treat. 150 cal.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.

so you are disagreeing, with our disagreement; hence, you are wasting your time by disagreeing with us? Legit criticism.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    tumblr_mho6sw6GaS1r3d8abo1_500_large.gif

LIEUTENANT DAAN! FLAVORED STEVIA OVER ICE CHIPS!
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
    It isn't even whipped cream. it's partially hydrogenated oil. It's basically a big old tub of trans fats.

If you happen to prefer this particular dessert to ice cream, eat away. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's healthier or even that it's fewer calories than a serving of ice cream.

I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in about three months eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone (sugar cone, of course) every Friday.

Close but not quite. Cool whip is made with fully hydrogenated oil, not partially hydrogenated oil.

Fully hydrogenating an oil creates a saturated fat. Trans fats are unsaturated. Fully hydrogenated oil is not trans fat.

Cool Whip has no trans fat. It's saturated fat. But, yeah, it's certainly no better than ice cream.
  • jofjltncb6
    jofjltncb6 Posts: 34,415 Member
    Options
    is there any reason you have to post your disagreement online? if the OP likes what she made, she can. you don't have to waste time out of your own day by tossing negativity around. shockingly, you might feel better about yourself if you go about complimenting people instead of downing them.
    Yeah come on you guys, the internet is only for agreeing!

I would like to compliment you on your astute observation.

(Hey, they're right! I feel better about myself already!)

((Okay, actually, that's not true. I already felt really good about myself before.))
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    I see a butt hurt post in the near future, :laugh: .

:love: ice cream!!!
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Wow. A lot of you are harsh! The poster obviously wanted to share something good she discovered to be nice. If you'd rather eat ice cream then fine. Why must you blast someone for liking an alternative?

Because the alternative is not really any better than the real thing. It's not healthier to eat whipped cream. *shrug*
    It isn't even whipped cream. it's partially hydrogenated oil. It's basically a big old tub of trans fats.

If you happen to prefer this particular dessert to ice cream, eat away. But don't fool yourself into thinking it's healthier or even that it's fewer calories than a serving of ice cream.

I dropped from a size 12 to a size 6 in about three months eating a Baskin Robbins ice cream cone (sugar cone, of course) every Friday.

Close but not quite. Cool whip is made with fully hydrogenated oil, not partially hydrogenated oil.

Fully hydrogenating an oil creates a saturated fat. Trans fats are unsaturated. Fully hydrogenated oil is not trans fat.

Cool Whip has no trans fat. It's saturated fat. But, yeah, it's certainly no better than ice cream.
    Yeah, I saw someone posted the ingredients. I swear years ago I read them and it was partially hydogenated. *shrug* Anyway, I much prefer real whipped cream and don't touch Cool Whip.

I remember one year right after my aunt got her degree in nutrition, she wouldn't let us have real whipped for Thanksgiving. She ONLY had Cool Whip in the house because she swore it was healthier. We revolted and found a convenience store that was open and got the eal stuff. lol

My family has issues with whipped cream.
  • Cranquistador
    Cranquistador Posts: 39,744 Member
    Options
    Flavored stevia over ice chips.:smooched:
    Please tell me you're trolling.
    right?

that was a joke right?
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip is yummy
    Ice cream is yummy

Cool Whip =/= Ice cream

My favorite Cool Whip recipe is to mix a tub of it with two cans of fruit cocktail and 6-8 oz of either sour cream or vanilla Greek yogurt and a big bag of mini marshmallows. Cool Whip is made for fruit salad and for pie topping for people who don't have a stand mixer and are too lazy to whip cream themselves.

But I think the OP's recipe *does* sound yummy, and I just may try it. (If I can get it made before the family has eaten all the graham crackers. They go fast at my house, faster than Oreos even.)
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    Cool Whip is made for fruit salad and for pie topping for people who don't have a stand mixer and are too lazy to whip cream themselves.
    There's a thing called canned whipped cream that is actually whipped cream, though. Cool Whip is for pepole who don't want to eat real whipped cream.

When I was a kid, neither my family nor my parents' best friends had even hand mixers, so we used to sit around the kitchen with a container full of heavy cream, sugar and vanilla and take turns shaking it until it was whipped cream. Ah, the memories ... lol

Anyway, something I used to like (but don't eat gelatin anymore, so ...) is fat free Cool Whip mixed with Jell-O. It was pretty darn good. And if you can stomach the taste of sugar-free Jell-O, practically 0 calories.
  • careybeth721
    careybeth721 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Goodness gracious, can we all try to supportive in that she is at least being creative and sharing with others? If it works for her - great. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. Let's try and be kind and positive....
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Cool Whip is made for fruit salad and for pie topping for people who don't have a stand mixer and are too lazy to whip cream themselves.
    There's a thing called canned whipped cream that is actually whipped cream, though. Cool Whip is for pepole who don't want to eat real whipped cream.

When I was a kid, neither my family nor my parents' best friends had even hand mixers, so we used to sit around the kitchen with a container full of heavy cream, sugar and vanilla and take turns shaking it until it was whipped cream. Ah, the memories ... lol

Anyway, something I used to like (but don't eat gelatin anymore, so ...) is fat free Cool Whip mixed with Jell-O. It was pretty darn good. And if you can stomach the taste of sugar-free Jell-O, practically 0 calories.

Yeah, Redi-Whip is actual cream.
  • jonnythan
    Options
    Goodness gracious, can we all try to supportive in that she is at least being creative and sharing with others? If it works for her - great. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat it. Let's try and be kind and positive....

I think it's more kind and positive to tell people that ice cream is healthy and fine, instead of patting them on the back and letting them think ice cream is the devil.