Great alternative for Ice cream lovers!

Options

Replies

• AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has pointed the out, however

Ingredients in lite cool whip: water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).[

Ingredients in Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean Gelato: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Milk Powder, Vanilla, Dextrose, Guar Gum, Lemon(s)

.5 cup of talenti is 200 calories. I like to sometimes add dried fruit and shaved dark chocolate, or fresh fruit. I don't hate on the cool whip, but if you're going for something not filled with junk I'd go for the gelato.

this makes me sound like I don't love pumpkin fluff . . . just so you know, I love pumpkin fluff.
  • michelle32720
    michelle32720 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Have you tried protein ice cream? Or even banana "ice cream" if you don't want to eat real ice cream?

I think I might die if I couldn't eat real ice cream again, but if I'm calorie limited and NEED some, the protein ice cream is the bomb. 150 calories for a PINT. All the flavors kinda taste alike, though.
  • michelle32720
    michelle32720 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't know if anyone has pointed the out, however

Ingredients in lite cool whip: water, hydrogenated vegetable oil (including coconut and palm oils), high fructose corn syrup, corn syrup, skim milk, light cream, and less than 2% sodium caseinate (a milk derivative), natural and artificial flavor, xanthan and guar gums, polysorbate 60, sorbitan monostearate, and beta carotene (as a coloring).[

Ingredients in Talenti Tahitian Vanilla Bean Gelato: Milk, Sugar, Cream, Milk Powder, Vanilla, Dextrose, Guar Gum, Lemon(s)

.5 cup of talenti is 200 calories. I like to sometimes add dried fruit and shaved dark chocolate, or fresh fruit. I don't hate on the cool whip, but if you're going for something not filled with junk I'd go for the gelato.

OMG, I love Talenti SO freaking much.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I made Zucchini Mint Ice Cream last night.
    It tasted great! So I thought I would share the recipe

Here is the base recipe
    1 cup frozen raw zucchini chucks
    1/2 cup frozen raw banana chunks
    A drizzle of raw organic honey to your desired sweetness
    1/8 tsp mint flavoring or to taste

Peel bananas and zucchini. Cut into small chucks and freeze in an air tight container. I used a plastic freezer bag
    Place frozen zucchini and banana chunks into a food processor or high speed blender
    I added the mint and honey before blending.
    Blend until it turns a nicely blended ice creamy texture. Don't over blend

Fold in chocolate chips, nuts, fruit or what ever you want to add to mixture.
    You can eat it now or put back in the freezer in freezer safe container.
    Enjoy!

for the love of god, NO

zucchini ice cream...come on man!

:indifferent: :indifferent: :indifferent:
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Peel bananas and zucchini. Cut into small chucks and freeze in an air tight container. I used a plastic freezer bag
    Place frozen zucchini and banana chunks into a food processor or high speed blender

Enjoy!

for the love of god, NO

Why not? They have pistachio flavored ice-cream. I'm pretty sure the zucchini is simply filler anyway. You wouldn't taste it since the banana and mint would be overwhelming and zucchini has little flavor by itself, it would add nutrition and increased portion size with minimal calories, etc.

Personally, I like to save my empty calories for alcohol. And since I don't have a ton to spare, shy away from high calorie foods that contribute little to my overall macros. I get ice-cream has good qualities, the calorie to serving size is generally too high for me.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

I feel like this is offensive, but I just can't put my finger on it.
  • eris1981
    eris1981 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    This. Also, I go for sherbet.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

for the love of god, NO

Why not? They have pistachio flavored ice-cream. I'm pretty sure the zucchini is simply filler anyway. You wouldn't taste it since the banana and mint would be overwhelming and zucchini has little flavor by itself, it would add nutrition and increased portion size with minimal calories, etc.

Personally, I like to save my empty calories for alcohol. And since I don't have a ton to spare, shy away from high calorie foods that contribute little to my overall macros. I get ice-cream has good qualities, the calorie to serving size is generally too high for me.

when we start using zucchini as an ice cream substitute, something is wrong in the universe.....what is next, dare I even mention this, cauliflower ice cream....*dry heaves*
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

I think it is also rude and bullying...
  • RivenV
    RivenV Posts: 1,667 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mho6sw6GaS1r3d8abo1_500_large.gif

LIEUTENANT DAAN! FLAVORED STEVIA OVER ICE CHIPS!

I lolled so hard I probably burned about a serving's worth of ice cream. Guess I'll have to revisit that Scotchy Scotch Scotch B&J's pint tonight.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

for the love of god, NO

when we start using zucchini as an ice cream substitute, something is wrong in the universe.....what is next, dare I even mention this, cauliflower ice cream....*dry heaves*

Exactly! And FTR...Pistachio ice cream is kinda gross. :noway:
  • ruffnstuff
    ruffnstuff Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    In...for more crazy veggie "ice cream" ideas. Though, to be honest, my gag reflex is kicking up just thinking about some of the possibilities (beet ice cream; eggplant?!; artichoke).

And for the person who tried the "but there's pistachio ice cream" arguement. Um, that's REAL ice cream, made with cream and sugar and eggs and nuts. The zucchini/banana/mint thing had none of those ingredients.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

I think it is also rude and bullying...

That's it, reported
  • husseycd
    Options

Here is the base recipe

Enjoy!

for the love of god, NO

Well, considering Guar gum (from the ingredient list above) comes from beans, I'm surprised you don't balk at that. There are so many fillers/ingredients in food that by themselves are hardly palatable. Ever eaten wheat by itself? Like a big 'ol spoonful? Just by itself, out of the bag? What about the beetles they use to provide red coloring? Ever eat the beetles? Does that bother you? Just curious...

Anyway, your body, your food, none of my business. Personally, I like more calorie bang for my buck (with the exception of wine, beer, and vodka), but since I don't care what you eat, I don't expect you to care what I eat. Other people might find alternative recipes helpful or even, gasp!, appealing.
  • husseycd
    Options
    In...for more crazy veggie "ice cream" ideas. Though, to be honest, my gag reflex is kicking up just thinking about some of the possibilities (beet ice cream; eggplant?!; artichoke).

And for the person who tried the "but there's pistachio ice cream" arguement. Um, that's REAL ice cream, made with cream and sugar and eggs and nuts. The zucchini/banana/mint thing had none of those ingredients.

Then don't eat it! Shocker, I know.

I like banana "ice cream". Which really should be called frozen bananas with a little cream blended in. If I could reduce the calorie content, extend the volume size, keep the same taste, why not add frozen zucchinis? I seriously doubt I ever will, but I might try it. I was surprised how much I like the banana ice cream & banana pancakes. Who knows? It could really do it for me.

And I love beets! Beet juice... yum. Oh, and there are plenty of weird flavored ice-creams out there. http://www.delish.com/recipes/cooking-recipes/unusual-ice-cream-flavors#slide-1
  • bingefreeaubree
    bingefreeaubree Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.
    I've tried something like this before with mini rice cakes and it was delicious. You get the same crunch you'd get as if you had it with a graham cracker, And the mini rice cakes are lower cal than graham crackers. I used chocolate mini rice cakes with cool whip before and that was great!
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mho6sw6GaS1r3d8abo1_500_large.gif

LIEUTENANT DAAN! FLAVORED STEVIA OVER ICE CHIPS!

I lolled so hard I probably burned about a serving's worth of ice cream. Guess I'll have to revisit that Scotchy Scotch Scotch B&J's pint tonight.

I have bourbon marshmallows that would probably go nicely with that. :drinker:
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Can't get cool whip here so, I'm soooo sorry to report that I just have to eat alllll the ice cream.

01-steuermann_landliebe-eiscreme.1st.jpg

cry for me.

You?! I'm crying for ME! Bourbon vanilla?! :sad:
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    sounds yummy but we don't have graham crackers here in the UK :cry: i'm not sure what a similar item would be here.

Do you have Parle G?

I'm learning yes, graham crackers are great. Smear a bit of peanut butter on one and it will totally satisfy cravings for peanut butter cookies.

Another thing I do when craving sweet and creamy is to froth some almond milk with a bit of flavoring (mom won't stop buying me new bottles! lol) She's been finding zero cal flavors, though, so it works pretty well. Sweet and foamy, I eat it with a spoon! Later today I'm thinking of trying it with some strawberry whey protein, see if I can make it healthy along with satisfying. <3 my frother!
  • snootmaster
    snootmaster Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    That word "healthy". You keep saying it, I don't think you know what it means.

Bwaahaaahaaaaahaaa-Iove that movie