Need Advice, about to cry

Options

Replies

• DeniseBarone
    DeniseBarone Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    That looks like normal weight fluctuations to me. You may have inadvertently consumed more sodium than you realized on a certain day, and are experiencing water retention. You're doing great!
  • IvoryParchment
    IvoryParchment Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    I would recommend the opposite of a lot of people. Weight yourself several times a day, especially at bedtime and again in the morning. Get an idea of how much weight fluctuation is completely normal.

To put things in perspective, a Krispy Kreme glazed donut is 190 calories. To gain a pound, you need 3500 EXCESS calories.

To have gained 1.2 lbs, you would have to have eaten 22 donuts IN ADDITION TO the food necessary for weight maintenance. You know that didn't happen.

Measure your food very, very accurately. Use a food scale. Then trust your food diary, even when the scale doesn't reflect it. Math always wins in the end.
  • Nessiechickie
    Nessiechickie Posts: 1,392 Member
    Options
    Didn't look at your diary.. but if I eat a lot of salty foods the day before I have water retention..
    ... didn;t drink enough water the day before?
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I agree the fluctuation is low and no need to worry - I did notice on your workout days you sometimes have quite a large defecit in calories and you are under pretty much every day. Also didn't see water recorded on any day so not sure how much you are drinking.

But I was 2 lbs heavier 2 days ago than I am today - I only weigh once a week because yes the fluctuations would drive me crazy (I weighed two days ago cause I had a bad weekend of stress eating and wanted to see what I did to myself but a couple days of watching and lots of water put me back on track)
  • knra_grl
    Options
    Didn't look at your diary.. but if I eat a lot of salty foods the day before I have water retention..
    ... didn;t drink enough water the day before?

She is below on all days that I looked at - your foods look good btw - I am still new to this but looking at other people's diaries helps me with variety - again I am new so I am in the forums a lot trying to learn
  • Mr_Bad_Example
    Mr_Bad_Example Posts: 2,403 Member
    Options
    You don't need to weigh yourself that often. Once a week is good enough. Anything more will give you those types of fluctuations and will likely mess with your head.
  • sweetpea03b
    sweetpea03b Posts: 1,124 Member
    Options
    1.2lb in a 3 day span is totally normal. My weight will fluctuate up to 3# in one week. Weigh again in 1 week... if it hasn't gone down... then you have gained. Don't stress!
  • PRMinx
    PRMinx Posts: 4,585 Member
    Options
    I think the bigger issue here is that you are "about to cry" over a 1.5 lb fluctuation. It sounds like you are obsessing.

I can swing 5 pounds from week to week without changing anything based on hormones and water retention alone. I try not to weigh myself so that I won't get discouraged. It's better to go with tape measurements, then the scale.

But, seriously, first ask yourself why you care so much. It sounds like maybe you need to dial back the intensity a bit.
  • knra_grl
    Options
    ^^^^ :flowerforyou:
  • Marcolter
    Marcolter Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    check sodium ( salt ) intakes that vary water retention.
  • bc2ct
    bc2ct Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Don't forget the #1 cause of both weight fluctuations and anxiety about weight fluctuations -- being female! Hormones do crazy **** to your body and sometimes you just have to put up with it. Keep active, keep eating healthy, and try not to weigh yourself more than once a week.
  • BlancaTere
    Options
    I allow myself a window of 5 lbs. I don't weight myself every day. I do it once a week or every two weeks. Don't stress over it.
  • tracieangeletti
    tracieangeletti Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    If your calories are on point... it's water and poop. Seriously. I can fluctuate between one and five pounds DAILY, sometimes in the SAME day. I also read in a thread, don't remember the name, about when you start eating at maintenance your body will naturally hold on to more water and glycogen stores. It's not fat. :-)
  • Linda09189
    Options
    that's why you don't weigh yourself every single day, you body naturally does that, especially if your a woman....why watch the scale everyday, your not suppose to lose weight every day anyway.....best advice, weigh just once a week same time, same place, same clothing......good luck
  • kcvance
    kcvance Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I am in maintenance and I have been weighing myself daily for the past 90 days - I'm an engineer and I like charts and graphs and such. My weight has fluctuated up to 5 pounds a day due to water retention, overeating, TOM... you name it. It is totally normal and part of the maintenance process. The red line is my maintenance level. The two recent highs are Christmas Day and New Year's Day, and the recent low (too low) was right after I had to put my cat to sleep.

weight.png

(Edited to fix image size and location).
  • Mellyajc
    Mellyajc Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are a bugger. I felt great about losing more, then was right back up 2 pounds the next day. I'm going to avoid weighing myself today though because I feel bloated and "fluffy" as my partner calls it, lol.

Measurements can help, one time I had the 2 pound jump I was able to see no, I hadn't lost the shrinkage on my belly, so the gain must have been muscle.

Trust when you're doing the right things, and track other goals as well (hey, I feel stronger! I can do more reps! I ran farther! I didn't break a sweat this time! etc).
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    Weighing yourself daily for a month or so can be a big help because you'll learn what variation is normal for you.

But, some people find it too stressful. Those people should pick a variance range (say +/- 5lbs) and weigh weekly or monthly instead.
  • bohojourney
    bohojourney Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My understanding is that during a three day cycle the body burns fat, fluid builds up and it flushes out by day three...good news.
    So depending when you weigh yourself weight will vary. Don't be discouraged.
  • CJ_Holmes
    CJ_Holmes Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    I have an app on my iphone called "True Weight." It's free. You can record your weight each day and after a period of time it averages out the bumps for you, giving you your 'true" or average weight. My actual weight goes up and down in a 6 pound window, but the average is actually the same. (Unfortunatey for me, since I'm not actually trying to maintain yet.) Using a tool like that could allow you to weigh every day but help you to see the big picture, rather than responding to each daily number.
  • katbirdinpa
    Options
    I have been gaining and loosing the same 3 pounds for weeks now! Might to a cleansing fast to break the cycle