Squatting and deadlifting

Options

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    Training the same part of your body more than twice a week is very unnecessary! Your body needs a break, I def do not reccomend this.

But what about all the full-body routines that work out the same part of your body three times a week?
  • FitForFunKanata
    FitForFunKanata Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am inclined to agrree with most people who have already commented. Squats and deadlift's are big weight excercises and large muscle groups. I cannot see a benefit of increasing them to 5x a week. I don't think your body will recover quickly enough. Keep in mind I am no expert :)
  • stt43
    Options
    I'm thinking about changing my routine from squatting and deadlifting twice per week to deadlifting five or six times per week, and squatting three or four times per week.
    Is this a bad idea?

p.s. I've had a hamstring injury and I'm worried that I'll re-injure it.

What are your objectives? Most people don't need (and shouldn't have) more than 2 or 3 sessions per week. Lifting weights is just to stimulate muscle growth. The actual growth happens with the right nutrition (proper protein intake) and resting (long sleeping hours and definitely not over-training).

I'm trying to improve strength rather than size. The sessions would be low volume.
  • lmmo1977
    Options
    I'm looking for strength more than size at the moment.
    I was doing a pull/push/legs. But I think I might switch to an upper/lower, so I can hit everything three times a week instead of two.

Lift very heavy and with low repetition sets (e.g., 6 reps). But don't do the mistake of over-training.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    As someone who recently pulled a hip flexor from overuse, I'd say it's probably not a great idea. Rest days suck for me, but now I make sure I take them. Otherwise, my body will make me take one. I'd prefer them to be voluntary...
  • mdizzle99
    mdizzle99 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Have you looked at Layne Norton's PHAT routine? It is higher volume and may be more what you are looking for.
  • stt43
    Options
    Have you looked at Layne Norton's PHAT routine? It is higher volume and may be more what you are looking for.

I don't want hypertrophy days, and my gym doesn't have the equipment I'd need for some of his lifts.
  • danimalkeys
    danimalkeys Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    If you are hitting the squats and deadlifts hard enough, 2x a week is plenty. Low reps at maximum intensity with heavy weight and plenty of rest is what builds strength, not *****footing around doing high reps of warmups every day.
  • mdizzle99
    Options

I don't want hypertrophy days, and my gym doesn't have the equipment I'd need for some of his lifts.

At your experience level it won't make much of a difference to be honest. And for the excuse of not having the equipment, find alternatives; they exist for every exercise.

Follow the advice you've received in this thread for a year or so and then it will make more sense to be having these discussions.
  • Escape_Artist
    Escape_Artist Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options

I don't suggest PHAT just yet. It's a hard program, very hard to recover from and not recommended unless more experienced.. Personally I wouldn't yet go with it.

SL, SS, 5/3/1 or NROL would be a much better option for now, IMO
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    Probably said, and re-said, but no keep it at twice a week. It won't make you stronger, it'll just run you into the ground. You need rest.

Consider a program like Wendler's 5/3/1 and stick to it. You'll be fine.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    Options
    weightlifting and physical therapy arent the same thing.

how bad is your posture and who diagnosed this?

did you read one article about APT and become a doctor?
  • SaintGiff
    SaintGiff Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Deads are the greatest exercise known to man, but five times a week? That's a high intensity movement. I suppose if you cycled between full load and light load you could do it, but why? Squats as well. I don't even do the two on the same day anymore, I'd think that five times in a week would just wear me down and slow my progress.

Rigger

What he said.
  • stt43
    Options

At your experience level it won't make much of a difference to be honest. And for the excuse of not having the equipment, find alternatives; they exist for every exercise.

Follow the advice you've received in this thread for a year or so and then it will make more sense to be having these discussions.

If I'm just using alternatives then I'm not doing his routine, I'm doing something different.
  • stt43
    Options
    weightlifting and physical therapy arent the same thing.

how bad is your posture and who diagnosed this?

did you read one article about APT and become a doctor?

No, I can see my posture is bad without a diagnosis. My shoulders hunch forward, my stomach sticks out, and my lower back rounds, causing my pain. I need to stretch the tense muscles and strengthen the weak ones.
  • stt43
    Options
    I think I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, it should give me good frequency without over doing it. Thanks for the input everyone.
  • cafeaulait7
    cafeaulait7 Posts: 2,459 Member
    Options
    You could add yoga therapy in between normal lifting days (or after). It really does help exactly the sort of thing you are talking about.
  • mdizzle99
    Options

If I'm just using alternatives then I'm not doing his routine, I'm doing something different.

Looks like you've got it figured out. Best of luck to you.
  • FrnkLft
    FrnkLft Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I think I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, it should give me good frequency without over doing it. Thanks for the input everyone.

If you're just going for strength, you should consider Wendler's 5/3/1. His Boring But Big, Template 2 is perfect.

You have a big lift for strength, followed by it's counterpart for reps and mass.

Example:

Upper Day 1
    Bench [Strength] + Press 5x10 @ 50%

Upper Day 2
    Press [Strength] + Bench 5x10 @ 50%

Same for Squats and Deadlifts on lower days.

His program is excellent, check it out.
  • stt43
    Options

If you're just going for strength, you should consider Wendler's 5/3/1. His Boring But Big, Template 2 is perfect.

You have a big lift for strength, followed by it's counterpart for reps and mass.

Example:

Upper Day 1
    Bench [Strength] + Press 5x10 @ 50%

Upper Day 2
    Press [Strength] + Bench 5x10 @ 50%

Same for Squats and Deadlifts on lower days.

His program is excellent, check it out.

I was curious about the newer templates for Wendler, but I didn't really know enough about it. I assume all of the Wendler stuff is in books and I don't really have any money to be buying things at the moment. Plus, won't that template still be just three days a week? I want something more frequent really.