Squatting and deadlifting

Options

Replies

• stt43
    stt43 Posts: 487
    Options
    I'm a rower so my training plan always looks something like: today, I'm going to do squats, this afternoon: more squats, tomorrow morning: squats in a boat, later that day: squats... and so it goes. Squats every day... why the **** not!!

Yeah, I always hear that profressional athletes do the same exercises all the time and it's ok for them, so I couldn't understand why I wouldn't be able to do the same if I built up to it.
  • stt43
    Options
    I'm thinking about changing my routine from squatting and deadlifting twice per week to deadlifting five or six times per week, and squatting three or four times per week.
    Is this a bad idea?

p.s. I've had a hamstring injury and I'm worried that I'll re-injure it.

What are your objectives? Most people don't need (and shouldn't have) more than 2 or 3 sessions per week. Lifting weights is just to stimulate muscle growth. The actual growth happens with the right nutrition (proper protein intake) and resting (long sleeping hours and definitely not over-training).

I'm trying to improve strength rather than size. The sessions would be low volume.
    Far as I know, you don't get strength gains from low volume.
    Re your question about a 3-day squat/bench/deadlift program, that sounds like SL or SS to me. 30-45 minutes a session, three sessions a week, means you train everything three times a week.

I was always told that you gain more size from high volume and more strength from low volume. It would be lower volume but higher frequency.
  • stt43
    Options
    Have you checked out Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline? It may be right up your alley and is a tried and true program with deadlifting 5x per week. I've done frequent deadlifting myself and see no problem with it when approached the right way.

That sounds perfect, thank you!
  • stt43
    Options
    weightlifting and physical therapy arent the same thing.

how bad is your posture and who diagnosed this?

did you read one article about APT and become a doctor?

No, I can see my posture is bad without a diagnosis. My shoulders hunch forward, my stomach sticks out, and my lower back rounds, causing my pain. I need to stretch the tense muscles and strengthen the weak ones.

More lifting isn't going to fix that- that's just going to over compensate and goon things up even more.

What you need to do is correct your posture by being aware and start opening and stretching your chest up. I do the lace the hands behind the back and gentle lift stretch every day at work- at least a half a dozen if not a dozen times a day.

nothing but good posture will fix bad posture not lifting.

But A.) you clearly already have it figured out
    and B.) you're a gigantic ....... well.. let's just say it rhymes with shmushmoron.

so none of this is going to go anywhere- even if you bother to read it.

anyone with this mentality- is just.. yeah.
    I don't want my deadlift to progress, and I don't really mind if it causes me long term damage, as long as I can keep it up for a month or two.

I have been stretching every day.
    Thanks, but I don't know what a smushroom is.
  • stt43
    Options
    I think it is a great idea if you never want your deadlift to really progress.

I think it's a great idea if you never want to deadlift again.

I still think the following.
    1. This thread is hilarious.
    2. OP should try his way for a month and report back.

Thanks, I will!
  • stt43
    Options
    I think it is a great idea if you never want your deadlift to really progress.

I think it's a great idea if you never want to deadlift again.

I don't want my deadlift to progress, and I don't really mind if it causes me long term damage, as long as I can keep it up for a month or two.

huh?

Agreed...huh?

Yeah.... I had to read this twice... huh?

OP: You're fine with possible long term injury, definite lack of progress on your lifts and probable medium term cns overtraining as long as you can get away with it for a month or so?

Not really much left to say to someone with that kind of mindset other than "good luck buddy."
    Wait, wut? Did we get trolled? This can't be for real.
    OP, I'm sidelined right now because I hurt myself deadlifting without enough recovery time. It ain't fun. If that's really what you're after... uh, yeah, good luck. To anyone else reading this thread... please don't do stupid crap.

I thought stating something like: "I don't want my deadlift to progress, and I don't really mind if it causes me long term damage, as long as I can keep it up for a month or two", would be quite clearly sarcastic.
  • SoLongAndThanksForAllTheFish
    Options
    Nope, it almost certain to not help you gain strength if you are hitting the lift hard in your current workout. You need to have less frequent lifts per week to give your body time to build sufficiently between lifts to increase strength, in some ways less is more...finding the spot between excessive time between hitting the lift heavily and the next workout session is the trick, as well as preparing yourself mentally before each session to push and lift more, getting adequate sleep and protein in the days between workouts. Increasing frequency leads to less strength and more hypertrophy generally, and leaves you more vulnerable to re-injury. 5-6x/wk is a recipe for disaster, especially with dead lifts, you will probably end up with a back or ham injury, even squats are safer to do more frequently than deads.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    You realise that one of the most important parts of strength training is rest, don't you?
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    You realise that one of the most important parts of strength training is rest, don't you?

Indeed

People under-estimate the power of rest and balance
  • stt43
    Options
    It's ok everyone, as I've said a couple of times over the last couple of pages, I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, so I will only be hitting each body part at most three times a week with at least two days off from a particular bodypart in between exercising it, and will probably have additional days off depending on my schedule, and deload weeks when needed.
  • CarlKRobbo
    CarlKRobbo Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    Aliens!! Because Aliens!

THAT's probably more self explanatory than what you are asking!

Because clearly your not going to listen to us anyway...

But anyway I'll give you 2 tips about this....

1) Bad hamstring + Deadlifts = Busted up lifter! That's not me shooting you down - I've Deadlifted with Hamstring DOMS. I was weak as a kitten, and could not even rep out lower weights.

2) Stomach sticking out - You DO realise that to Deadlift 5 times a week, and use enough weight so it's not a waste of time, you'll have to eat a truck load of food a day - especially carbs to recover? Guess what!? TRUCK LOAD OF FOOD + Waste of time Deadlifts = Food Baby!!

Your argument about professional sports persons is invalid.. YOU do not have the access to the same group of experts who produce their diets, enforce their rest periods, Cycle their volume, Push them when they need, provide them with the best supplements. And give them expert heath care to recover..

Oh, but sorry, I forgot, you are already an professional in the sport of trolling, take a bow son. I'm awarding you a gold medal...

Of course the only way you can prove me wrong is by listening to the original advice on the first few pages, and stop training you legs\deadlifts until your hamstring is better!
  • stt43
    Options
    Aliens!! Because Aliens!

THAT's probably more self explanatory than what you are asking!

Because clearly your not going to listen to us anyway...

But anyway I'll give you 2 tips about this....

1) Bad hamstring + Deadlifts = Busted up lifter! That's not me shooting you down - I've Deadlifted with Hamstring DOMS. I was weak as a kitten, and could not even rep out lower weights.

2) Stomach sticking out - You DO realise that to Deadlift 5 times a week, and use enough weight so it's not a waste of time, you'll have to eat a truck load of food a day - especially carbs to recover? Guess what!? TRUCK LOAD OF FOOD + Waste of time Deadlifts = Food Baby!!

Your argument about professional sports persons is invalid.. YOU do not have the access to the same group of experts who produce their diets, enforce their rest periods, Cycle their volume, Push them when they need, provide them with the best supplements. And give them expert heath care to recover..

Oh, but sorry, I forgot, you are already an professional in the sport of trolling, take a bow son. I'm awarding you a gold medal...

Of course the only way you can prove me wrong is by listening to the original advice on the first few pages, and stop training you legs\deadlifts until your hamstring is better!

I don't mind if my stomach sticks out from food, I'm saying that the fact that my posture is so bad and my core is so weak that it causes my belly to stick out then it's a problem.
    I am no trolling.
    My hamstring is better, I was saying that I had injured it before.
    And as I said above, I've decided not to squat and deadlift 4-6 times per week: I'm just going to do an upper/lower split, so I will only be hitting each body part at most three times a week with at least two days off from a particular bodypart in between exercising it, and will probably have additional days off depending on my schedule, and deload weeks when needed.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Just by looking at you, you would do better focusing on full body routines 3-4x a week for a few months rather than entering straight into a split.
  • jimmmer
    jimmmer Posts: 3,515 Member
    Options
    Have you checked out Power to the People by Pavel Tsatsouline? It may be right up your alley and is a tried and true program with deadlifting 5x per week. I've done frequent deadlifting myself and see no problem with it when approached the right way.

PTTP/Easy Strength/Even Easier Strength/Squat Everyday work because the volume is so low and also the intensity is managed and waved properly. That's how you can lift with that frequency. Pavel/Dan John/Matt Perryman and others have all made intelligent cases for everyday training. It's greasing the groove type of stuff. Optimising the CNS without overloading it (or ruining your tendons/ligaments/joints in the process)

It can work, I've done it for a front squat/fat grip deadlift combo on minimal sleep and didn't burn out. Will it actually work? Well, that depends on how sensible the lifter is mostly. You sound like you don't have a great handle on your body, so I wouldn't actually recommend it to you (yet). Mess this kind of programming up and you could end up not being able to train properly for a while...

Just stick to a normal, balance routine (and chuck in some flexibility/mobility/isometrics work to sort out your posture) and you'll be fine.
  • stt43
    Options
    Just by looking at you, you would do better focusing on full body routines 3-4x a week for a few months rather than entering straight into a split.

I don't like full body routines. I have been doing pull/push/legs for a while, but I want to change to an upper/lower so that I'll have more frequency on lifts as well as more frequent days off.
  • stt43
    Options

PTTP/Easy Strength/Even Easier Strength/Squat Everyday work because the volume is so low and also the intensity is managed and waved properly. That's how you can lift with that frequency. Pavel/Dan John/Matt Perryman and others have all made intelligent cases for everyday training. It's greasing the groove type of stuff. Optimising the CNS without overloading it (or ruining your tendons/ligaments/joints in the process)

It can work, I've done it for a front squat/fat grip deadlift combo on minimal sleep and didn't burn out. Will it actually work? Well, that depends on how sensible the lifter is mostly. You sound like you don't have a great handle on your body, so I wouldn't actually recommend it to you (yet). Mess this kind of programming up and you could end up not being able to train properly for a while...

Just stick to a normal, balance routine (and chuck in some flexibility/mobility/isometrics work to sort out your posture) and you'll be fine.

Thanks. I think I'm going to try an upper/lower for now, and maybe move onto one of these routines in the future to see what it's like.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Seems most of the posters on this thread subscribe to what amounts to fairly modern lifting practices and seem to believe that those modern lifting practices are the only valid ones. Daily lifting was not unusual before the 1950s/1960s and, believe it or not, there were strong guys before the mid 20th century. More recently you can find lots of olympic lifting folks doing cleans (with more weight than most here are probably deadlifting) and various types of squats heavy on a near daily basis and programs like the smolov squat program are based on heavy, even high volume, daily lifting (yes, I can acknowledge that it is an advanced program).

While I can agree with jimmmer that the OP may not have the best handle on things and has the potential to mess himself up that is also a strong possibility with a more modern 2-3x per week plan. Something like Power to the People is intended to guide someone without a whole lot of experience. If the OP really wants to go the daily lifting route there are plenty of options out there for him to do so safely.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    Seems most of the posters on this thread subscribe to what amounts to fairly modern lifting practices and seem to believe that those modern lifting practices are the only valid ones. Daily lifting was not unusual before the 1950s/1960s and, believe it or not, there were strong guys before the mid 20th century. More recently you can find lots of olympic lifting folks doing cleans (with more weight than most here are probably deadlifting) and various types of squats heavy on a near daily basis and programs like the smolov squat program are based on heavy, even high volume, daily lifting (yes, I can acknowledge that it is an advanced program).

While I can agree with jimmmer that the OP may not have the best handle on things and has the potential to mess himself up that is also a strong possibility with a more modern 2-3x per week plan. Something like Power to the People is intended to guide someone without a whole lot of experience. If the OP really wants to go the daily lifting route there are plenty of options out there for him to do so safely.

Even smolov has rest days and not 5-6 days of squatting straight. I don't think we are all opposed to lifting every day- I lift 5 days a week on average. I think the bigger issue is trying to force that type of lifting 5-6 times a week by someone who honestly doesn't seem that knowledgeable about what's going on.

I do agree with that last bit- there are lots of options that include regular not 2-3 times a week lifting- but it's either a well rounded program typically or is a peaking program.
  • Kirk_R
    Kirk_R Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Even smolov has rest days and not 5-6 days of squatting straight. I don't think we are all opposed to lifting every day- I lift 5 days a week on average. I think the bigger issue is trying to force that type of lifting 5-6 times a week by someone who honestly doesn't seem that knowledgeable about what's going on.

I do agree with that last bit- there are lots of options that include regular not 2-3 times a week lifting- but it's either a well rounded program typically or is a peaking program.

Sure, I think the OP needs some pre-built plan, that he keeps to the letter with, to get him going down the right road. Customizing and screwing around with different variables is once you know your own body better...
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options

Sure, I think the OP needs some pre-built plan, that he keeps to the letter with, to get him going down the right road. Customizing and screwing around with different variables is once you know your own body better...

absolutely agree.

I think that's the issue- I think he is trying to tinker to much without the experience.