Teacher's aide on leave after modeling photos surface

Options

Replies

• somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I don't post racy pics with my head because of my job. Maybe the aid should have been smarter. Life isn't fair.

Kinda hard to model without your head. But really, if she was in the exact same outfit, but a JCPenney catalog, I somehow doubt this would be an issue. Or if she was in the same outfit, but plus-sized. My bet, it's some jealous, overweight mom who was the anonymous tipster.

office-space-jump-to-conclusions-mat.jpg
  • BigSnicka
    BigSnicka Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Are elementary school kids looking at lingerie these days?
  • Jimaudit
    Jimaudit Posts: 275
    Options
    I feel like teachers should be held to a higher standard than most other professions. Modeling is one thing but racy/provocative modeling is a whole other thing. I'm not really sure if she should lose her teaching job over this but whatever.

If your argument is that they should pay her more then she wouldn't need another job then you clearly don't understand the free market.
    I was just listening to a story on NPR for someone advocating for higher pay for teachers (here in Texas, I think the average pay is $47k, but no clue what it would be for a teacher's aid). The problem they seem to be having is that a lot of schools are having problems with the kids not behaving, and on top of it, the parents ridicule and blame the teachers for everything (even if their kids are slacking off or not getting it). So, many of the younger teachers are just walking away because "no one deserves to be treated like that at their job". They kind of have a point, but I guess it's something you have to deal with at any customer service job.

But, they are expecting a teacher shortage once the babyboomer teachers start retiring.

The avg salary takes into account all of the salary ranges so these 1st and 2nd year teachers are making probably around $35k. Half of them leave the profession within 3 years as the pay is too low and the stress from parents to high. My wife sets strict expectations for parents at the start of the year and backs her arguments with facts. Parents listen to facts--no matter how special they think Timmy is.

Teachers on average are the lowest salaried profession requiring a degree and licensure. In my field someone graduating with an Accounting degree who obtains a license (CPA,CIA,CFE, CISA) are making $70k after a few years. Huge difference and I would argue my wife is adding more value to society than I am yet I make almost 3 times what she does.
  • Mia_RagazzaTosta
    Mia_RagazzaTosta Posts: 4,885 Member
    Options
    I wonder if it was MFP rat that reported said teacher.
  • Jestinia
    Jestinia Posts: 1,153 Member
    Options
    if we don't want teachers getting second jobs, maybe we should pay them better. especially if we're "holding them to a higher standard". lets reflect that with pay.

Stunning logic. We should put politicians in who are capable of same. You'd think they would be, most of them are lawyers, they had to at least be competent on the LSAT, but I guess a lifetime of practicing American law and politics ruins any natural abilities they started with.
  • ProgressNotPerfection32
    Options
    if we don't want teachers getting second jobs, maybe we should pay them better. especially if we're "holding them to a higher standard". lets reflect that with pay.

Pay rates were not mentioned in the article nor in the post, so you assume what she is being paid, right?.

That would be correct. Based on average salary data. Please, share with us what you think a teacher's aid makes, even in the top range.

I currently teach, but In my area, I've been an aide in 3 different districts the last 12 years. Pay, unfortunately, varies widely. Usually, if the district hires and pays the pay is better but if it's part of a coop the pay can be not great. I made $8.50/hour in one district with no benefits, I made $14.00/hour with fully covered health benefits in the next. Last, I made 9.75/hour with partially paid benefits. The entire time I held my bachelors in education.

In the education field we sign agreements and know we are most defiantly in the public eye and depending on the age level she worked with, it could have caused many issues with either students OR parents. We are role models and project a positive image. I think what she did was not bad, but in her line of work it was unprofessional.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    I don't post racy pics with my head because of my job. Maybe the aid should have been smarter. Life isn't fair.

Kinda hard to model without your head. But really, if she was in the exact same outfit, but a JCPenney catalog, I somehow doubt this would be an issue. Or if she was in the same outfit, but plus-sized. My bet, it's some jealous, overweight mom who was the anonymous tipster.

Wow, really? As a teacher and teacher's aide, you choose that career path knowing that you have to be more careful about what the public sees, and this includes what you post online. I am sure that she signed a contract saying this. My son had a teacher last year that was constantly out in public drunk. Hell, I saw her at Walmart drunk, as did my son. Did I go to the school board. You betcha. That's not who I want shaping my child's academic future. And for the record, I know how to have fun and I am not jealous....although I am slightly overweight. This is a site where I can find tools for weight loss, right?

Secondly, wow, just because someone turned her in, you assume it's some jealous, overweight mom. Jeez, get YOUR head out of YOUR azz.
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options

Not jumping to conclusions, simply making a bet. I could be wrong, I might not be. Two packets of photos were anonymously mailed, one to the school board, and one to a local newspaper, along with a typed note in all caps that read: "Can you believe that this girl was hired to work with special education children in the Fitchburg schools?!!"

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/news/ci_24965730/fitchburg-teachers-aide-hot-water-over-modeling-shots#ixzz2rEGzk3GN

Sounds like a jealous hater to me.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    They aren't going into bars, either, but teachers can't be seen drunk in bars.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    Options

Dunno, but most kids have an Instagram account.
  • Scott2ndGradeTeacher
    Options
    I'm a teacher and have done some modeling work in the past.

I was the "before" picture! :-)
  • summertime_girl
    Options

And isn't it a parent's responsibility to monitor what their children have access to online/by phone? My elementary-aged kid sure doesn't have an Instagram, or phone for that matter. She's 8. She'll get one when she needs one.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    Options

And isn't it a parent's responsibility to monitor what their children have access to online/by phone? My elementary-aged kid sure doesn't have an Instagram, or phone for that matter. She's 8. She'll get one when she needs one.

Yes, it absolutely is. My 10 year old has Instagram on his cell. And, yep, I watch him like a hawk. But, with that said, not all parents do and I am not saying I am perfect, not even close. If he heard a teacher's aide was on there with racy pics, he would try to look. I am just saying someone in that position has to be held at a higher "standard" than others. I wouldn't want my daughter knowing her teacher's aide is a lingerie model. Little girls especially are already too hard on themselves.
  • michellemybelll
    michellemybelll Posts: 2,228 Member
    Options
    They aren't going into bars, either, but teachers can't be seen drunk in bars.

****. there go my aspirations of becoming a teacher.
  • summertime_girl
    Options
    Wow, really? As a teacher and teacher's aide, you choose that career path knowing that you have to be more careful about what the public sees, and this includes what you post online. I am sure that she signed a contract saying this. My son had a teacher last year that was constantly out in public drunk. Hell, I saw her at Walmart drunk, as did my son. Did I go to the school board. You betcha. That's not who I want shaping my child's academic future. And for the record, I know how to have fun and I am not jealous....although I am slightly overweight. This is a site where I can find tools for weight loss, right?

Secondly, wow, just because someone turned her in, you assume it's some jealous, overweight mom. Jeez, get YOUR head out of YOUR azz.

Did your child learn in class? I'm not advocating public drunkenness, (that's an issue for the police), but was it at all detrimental to your child's academics?
  • tlcarolinagirl
    Options
    And it's fine that teachers do what they want outside of work, as long as 1. they don't do it in public for everyone to see and 2. it doesn't affect the children's education. In my example, it did both. My son saw his teacher clearly drunk at Walmart, for goodness sakes.

I don't care how people live their private lives, as long as they keep it private. Just saying.
  • Holly_Roman_Empire
    Holly_Roman_Empire Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options

Not jumping to conclusions, simply making a bet. I could be wrong, I might not be. Two packets of photos were anonymously mailed, one to the school board, and one to a local newspaper, along with a typed note in all caps that read: "Can you believe that this girl was hired to work with special education children in the Fitchburg schools?!!"

http://www.sentinelandenterprise.com/news/ci_24965730/fitchburg-teachers-aide-hot-water-over-modeling-shots#ixzz2rEGzk3GN

Sounds like a jealous hater to me.

If it were my hometown, it could also be a religious zealot. The fact is, that you don't know. And by saying that the person that turned her in is a jealous hater is a greater reflection on your views than the actual point you're trying to make.