To log or not to log...?

So if you have a bad day and have a bit of a binge or you have a cheat meal, do you log it or do you just start fresh the next day? Is it good to log it so you can see where you went wrong or is logging it just too discouraging?

Replies

• Riemersma4
    Riemersma4 Posts: 400 Member
    I think that is a great question. It comes down to your personality type. Ultimately, IIFYM, go for it, so, yes, log it. The more data that you have, the better decisions you can make.

That being said, logging a bad day can really derail some people.

I log cuz I enjoy it and am a bit of a dork when it comes to that. However, my jeans and the mirror tell me just about everything that I really need to know.

Good luck!

Best!
  • Goatbree
    Goatbree Posts: 6 Member
    I believe in logging everything, for the most accurate long-term result when viewing my nutritional patterns. It might seem discouraging at first, but I think it's particularly good for looking at and going "Well hey, I did that but it's going to be okay because look how great I'm still doing!" The entire idea is to be honest and kind to yourself, isn't it? :)
  • aNewYear123
    aNewYear123 Posts: 279 Member
    I log it for two reasons -

1 - I can see what really put me over the top so I can be more careful.
    2 - I can work on averaging out the damage over the next few days so I am still on track.
  • astronomicals
    astronomicals Posts: 1,537 Member
    when I wake up from a blackout I can often remember every drink I had and in what order I drank them, however, I cant remember what I did or where I was... I proceed to log the booze..

Im talented
  • nomad1000
    nomad1000 Posts: 206 Member
    I log everything. Just like I weigh in every day.

It helps me to see patterns in my eating and possible trigger points. Like when i have too much fruit, I seem to crave sugary things the next day. Or if I have too many carbs several days in a row, I want more carby type foods.

It also keeps me honest since honesty regarding food and exercise haven't always been my strengths, which is part of the reason I am here. So skipping something or leaving it off because it was a bad "cheat" doesn't work for me at this point.
  • betreich
    betreich Posts: 51 Member
    I have found in the past when I have gone off the rails (pre MFP days, other 'diets"), I would generally stop logging, also stop weighing, kind of a "head in the sand" kind of mentality - what I couldn't see wasn't really happening! I find logging helps me keep to the plan, but guess what ever you find works for you.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Log it. Too easy to pretend you didn't indulge if you don't - then you start wondering why you're gaining when your log is always beautifully green when in reality it isn't.
  • GiveMeCoffee
    GiveMeCoffee Posts: 3,556 Member
    I log the good bad and the ugly. It's data if I only enter the good days, when my weight loss stalls and look back I won't have a clue as to why. I don't beat myself up if I go over, it happens it gets logged and tomorrow is a new day.
  • GoMizzou99
    GoMizzou99 Posts: 512 Member
    Log it.

Days will vary, but weekly totals move the glacier.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    So if you have a bad day and have a bit of a binge or you have a cheat meal, do you log it or do you just start fresh the next day? Is it good to log it so you can see where you went wrong or is logging it just too discouraging?

Log it!
  • RllyGudTweetr
    RllyGudTweetr Posts: 2,019 Member
    Log it, and move on. For many folks, choosing not to log a 'bad day' turns into an excuse to not log the next 'bad day,' and suddenly they haven't logged in for a fortnight and start thinking they might as well camp out at Dunkin Donuts for a couple dozen pastries for the evening.

You (generic 'you') are human. Part of being human is that you make mistakes. Learn from them and move on; don't let them overwhelm your ability to progress.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member

I log it. It's good, I think, for others who view my diary to see how I'm eating, to know that I have days where I eat a lot or go over my calorie goal and see that I still maintain. It's not discouraging, because one bad day doesn't make a difference in the overall picture. I'm having blueberry pie tonight, with tru whip... yum! It will still be in my calorie goal for today, but even if I went a bit over, no worries!
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Depends on what works for you. When I have those bad days I used to just stop logging the moment I went over just so I wouldn't see the damage and some days I just didn't log anything at all. This year now I'm making it a goal to log everything so I can see the damage.
  • Abi198111
    Abi198111 Posts: 76 Member
    Thanks everyone. You've given me the answer I was expecting you would. To log it is then!
  • davepearson86
    davepearson86 Posts: 158 Member
    If you don't log it you wont know how much you went over. If you went 3000 calories over and are at a 300 calorie per day deficit it would take 10 days to average it out and continue losing. Some people don't get the math on this and have ridiculous cheat days weekly and wonder why they're not losing anything.... I run a 15% deficit so a full out binge day would halt my progress for some time unless I threw in some low calories for a few days to lessen or remove the damage.

TLDR: LOG IT!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    It depends. If I'm just going out for a special meal with my buddies or Hubs, I guesstimate and do my best to log it all good or bad. However, there are the rare occassions when I can't be bothered. Say I'm away from home spending time with good friends and/or family, I don't want to spend a bunch of time on the computer or my phone trying to log things that aren't the usual and anaylzing recipes so I just make the best choices I can food-wise, get in some activity and hope it works out in the end. The most important thing IMHO is getting right back on track when you do get back to normal life.

Most of the time a random cheat meal isn't going to mess up your progress too much but it may affect the scale for a few days due to high sodium and they are easy to forget a week or so later if you don't at least log something (like a food diary note saying "away from home, not logging)
  • tempehforever
    tempehforever Posts: 183 Member
    Log. I think getting in this habit--and allowing yourself to be OK with the fact that you'll have quite a few major binge days over the course of your lifetime--is what makes this sustainable in the long run.

Honestly, doing so has made me realize that going way over calories once in a while doesn't have a huge effect in the grand scheme of things. It all averages out.
  • jayjay12345654321
    jayjay12345654321 Posts: 653 Member
    Log it.
  • jwdieter
    jwdieter Posts: 2,582 Member
    Logging only when you meet target calories seems like a waste of time to me.
  • JohnDowding
    JohnDowding Posts: 46 Member
    Take a day off once in a while.