What can I eat to feel full that's not fattening?

Options

Replies

• creamliqueur
    Options
    Original fiber one cereal is REALLY filling and if you eat it with unsweetened vanilla almond milk, cinnamon, and stevia it tastes amazing too.

Egg whites.
    Make a huge savory portion with vegetables, some cheese, ketchup, and a bit of butter spray.
    Or a sweet version with light maple syrup, fat free cream cheese, cinnamon, butter spray, & stevia.

Vegetables in general. Cook a ton of them and add it to anything you are eating (chicken, fish, beef, pasta dishes, etc). Put a low cal (20/tbsp) sauce on it so you actually enjoy it.

HUGE SALADS. A bag of prewashed lettuce + vegetables + some protein + dressing = you will be full.

0% greek yogurt. Mix it with fiber one, puffed cereals, fruit, cinnamon, stevia, sugar free chocolate syrup, sugar free jello, sugar free pudding mixes or actual sugar free pudding, etc. You can even mix it with dill & cucumber if you want something savory.

Popcorn doesn't really fill you up imo, it just gives you a big bowl of something to munch on. It's kind of like eating air. There's a difference between wanting to sit down to a big bowl of food for a while vs wanting to feel full.
  • britkneemeyer
    britkneemeyer Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    +1 on the giant salads! my favorite salad is:

giant amount of kale
    lots of protein. i use beans or quorn fake chicken.
    sliced raw red pepper
    edamame hummus 1 serving
    raw broccoli
    a dash or sriracha.
    so so good. and huge.

I like sushi because you can eat alot of veg sushi for not that many calories if its just a cucumber avocado roll.

I love soups and stews. Chunky thick soups with lots of beans are really low in calories but yes high in sodium unless you make them yourself.

egg whites have very little calories. the yolk is good for you but if you are just looking for calories egg whites work. I really like them with feta and spinach in a whole wheat wrap.

tons of veg and fruit makes you feel like you are eating a crazy amount but in reality you are eating the right amount.
  • 9kitsune
    Options
    roasted cauliflower fills me up
  • taramcfarlan
    taramcfarlan Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I'm eating homemade turkey vegetable soup. I just got done a salad for lunch kick with tons of veggies, egg whites, cheese, grilled chicken, etc... It was filling! Lately I have been eating edemame too. I can buy it in individual servings that you steam in the microwave. Very filling for only 110 calories and has protein in it too.

May I have your homemade turkey vegetable soup recipe???
  • taramcfarlan
    Options
    Peas work wonders for me.

snap peas as a raw veggie snack, or sweet peas cooked???
  • MissBabyJane
    MissBabyJane Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Oats, veggies, nuts...
  • taramcfarlan
    Options

Do you put any seasoning on them? Roasted in the oven? For how long?
  • caitconquersweight
    caitconquersweight Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I've found that drinking more water throughout the day has all but erased my hunger pangs. If I go too long without eating I still get them a little, but ever since I started drinking about 12 cups a day, I seriously don't get OMG GOTTA EAT OR I'M GONNA DIE pangs.
  • AngelAura777
    AngelAura777 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I love making chia pudding by putting chia seeds in a jar with fruit and pouring a protein shake over them and leaving them to soak.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want, as long as you maintain your deficit and hit your fat/protein/carb targets...
  • ndj1979
    Options

ahhh yes cauliflower, the cure for all of societies ills….
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I eat pre-made boneless skinless chicken breast (I crockpot a big container of it with nothing on it - no spices, oil, etc. -- I just want to be full not taste a bunch of food) so I have it ready when I'm hungry. Steamable veggie bags, fruit, etc.

Wha?

Why take the enjoyment out of eating?

BTW, OP, if you want to not enjoy eating, fixing uber-bland food like this is a good way to go about it.

I have fitness and fat loss goals, not to just taste the food. To me, that's not my goal. I still eat fast food, candy, etc. -- but on a daily basis I need to stay full and not gain weight. Sounds normal to me for someone who has fat loss goals.

so at this point you are just a robot that is eating food for food…interesting concept.

I have fat loss goals and like to taste my food...
  • nomorebingesgirl2014
    nomorebingesgirl2014 Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • SallyFTW
    SallyFTW Posts: 36
    Options
    I eat porridge when I'm hungry. It gives me energy, hasn't got much fat and keep me feeling full.
  • ryankerzan
    Options
    Protein is always good. Apples can be helpful. The pectin helps with satiety, also the mastication process helps to satisfy. Some like pb with their apples (watch out for that because it is loaded with kcals.) Some try to avoid fruits do to the fructose and their glycemic index, but apples are a good choice, or pears.
  • EpsilonGamma
    Options
    What others have said...high protein.

Add Fish Oil to your diet. You want stuff that is high in DHA and EPA not that crap they have in your supermarket. Aim to get around 2g of EPA and 1.5g of DHA.

This helps protein synthesis and also slows down digestion which keeps you fuller for longer.

Also, remember the term fattening is wrong. You can get fat free things and get fat. Make sure you aren't going over your daily caloric needs.

My snacks are usually in the form of decaffeinated coffee and apples.
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I don't know if this was mentioned, so I apologize for any redundancy...

One of the biggest things I had to learn is that there's no need to eat until I'm "full". If I have a snack that is 250 calories, with a good ratio of protein/fat/carbs, then I've eaten enough calories and nutrition to fuel me for the next few hours even if I'm not feeling full. My unfull belly is not a signal that I need to eat more.

This can be very challenging to learn, and the way to go about it is to trust the numbers. Trust your food diary to show you, yes, you have enough calories and nutrition to get through your morning/afternoon/whenever with enough energy. Your full or empty belly is not a reliable signal. If I have a 350 calorie breakfast but I'm not full, that doesn't mean I need more food. I know that 350 is enough, regardless of the volume of the contents of my stomach.

A huge benefit of learning this, for me...is that I realize I actually perform better when I'm not full! I have more energy, feel less lethargic, and literally feel lighter when my belly isn't full of food. It's easier for me to function on an emptier belly (as long as my caloric/nutritional needs are met of course). Sometimes I purposely eat calorie dense foods in order to get my calories without filling up.

Having said that...yeah, lol sometimes I like to eat until I'm in a food-coma. My dinner is usually humongous...bulked up with tons of veggies, along with a healthy portion of protein and sometimes something carby. You don't have to give up that happy-full feeling completely, but realize it's not necessary for being satisfied and properly fueled.

(Other people have given great advice, too, about getting enough fat and protein, those ARE essential to feeling satisfied. In my response, I'm strictly referring to "fullness" which is different from "satiety".)
  • Joanne_Moniz
    Joanne_Moniz Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I need to know what I can eat, snackwise or with breakfast/lunch that will not leave me with hunger pains? I'm trying to lose weight, on a 1400 cals/day diet but I know there's got to be something I can eat that is both filling and low in calories and/or low fat? Please help!

Eat fat. Fat does not make us fat. However, it must be healthy fat, grass fed beef, free range (non gmo fed) chicken, eggs, fish (low mercury) avocados, good oils like olive oil and coconut oil (you can use neutral flavor) nuts, seeds, etc. You may want to read the recent article published in NYT, etc.
    http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/03/17/study-questions-fat-and-heart-disease-link/?_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=0
  • reddz12
    reddz12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Fiber, fiber, and more fiber! It expands in your stomach making you feel more full longer! But what ive noticed is snacking isnt bad as long as you snack on the right stuff, increasing your water intake helps as well. Makinh these snall changes, ive lost 15 pounds in 24 days. Good luck!
  • jr235
    jr235 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    The combination of fat, fiber, and protein is what is going to keep you feeling full. I used to be afraid of fat with all kinds of no calorie sprays filling my cabinets, and then a friend dared me to try a salad that she'd made and to see how long it would take me to feel hungry.

Try a salad like this: http://eaudespice.wordpress.com/2010/02/18/chilled-chickpea-and-fava-bean-salad/

Yes, it has olive oil. Do not be afraid! Throw some feta on there too!

Generally when I want a snack I want something sweet, and then I go for some fruit. If I'm actually hungry as opposed to just feeling like I need a sugar pick me up I'll have some popcorn, add some cheese in with my fruit, or veggies with (homemade) hummus.