Getting the best out of a fitbit one

Options
2»

Replies

• WalkingAlong
    WalkingAlong Posts: 4,926 Member
    Options
    Where do you get the 1800-2000 steps for a Curves workout from? Another pedometer? Unless you're counting the steps yourself, it's hard to tell which is the more accurate pedometer. Though from your test it sounds like your Fitbit is capturing around 85% of your actual housework steps. I'd be curious how it does if you did that test just straight walking, like outside on the sidewalk. Housework 'steps' tend to include a lot of little shuffles and such that we might mentally call a step but physically is more of a non-step and vice versa. Though the step count is somewhat independent of the calorie count.

Fitbit might tell you that the main idea is that the Fitbit gives you internally consistent data so it's value is at knowing your baseline activity level and seeing changes you make from there. E.g., it's not relevant whether Curves is 1500 or 2000 steps but it is relevant if you change your Fitbit steps from 5000 a day to 10,000.
  • shutrbugz
    Options
    I'm afraid I'm no help, but I wanted to comment so I could perhaps find my way back here later. I'm off to purchase my pedometer today!!! Good luck, everyone. :flowerforyou:
  • sbdriver2
    sbdriver2 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Yes, I got the 1800 to 2000 steps from my other pedometer. (I have been wearing one for about 4 months, so I think I have a pretty good basis). My fitbit counts just fine outside on the sidewalk when I'm walking or if I'm marching in place during commercials. (It's just too cold to out and walk at the moment) I was in my kitchen. I wrote down the number of steps on my fitbit and proceeded to make lunch. Back and forth from the fridge, to the counter, getting dishes, etc etc etc. I counted 100 steps, checked the fitbit again and it recorded only 16 steps. Yesterday when I was unloading the dishwasher, same thing, back and forth from the dishwasher, to the cupboard, cutlery drawer (my kitchen is large) and not one step was recorded for the entire thing. I understand some of the movements are more shuffling, but I would hope for at least a 50% recording of movement. I even try to make sure I physical turn and move forward as opposed to stepping side to side like I would normally, just to see if it will record the movement.

I appreciate all the input. I will wait to see what fitbit says. For sure this will motivate me to do less housework and more walking. ;) I'll come back when I get an answer from them. (
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    I heard back from fitbit. They said they checked my profile, and my stride was set at 2. (my stride is 2 feet, 0 inches) They told me to set it to zero and that should solve the problem. I thought stride only affected the distance travelled, but I'm willing to re-set it to see what happens. I will give it a try and keep you posted.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    Well, I tried changing my stride, and still I am getting little to no reading for my daily housework activities. I googled and found that if you are on a carpet it may not be accurate, so I thought my slippers might be the culprit, and tried wearing my workout shoes indoors yesterday. No change in the readings. I have contacted them again expressing my disappointment in the unit. I really don't feel I should have to be counting and double checking my steps all the time, and exaggerating my movements in hopes of "waking up" the fitbit.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    After several e-mails back and forth, and quite a few "100 step" accuracy tests, they have decided to send me a replacement unit. It took a while, but I am pleased that they took my issue seriously. I've got my fingers crossed that when the new one gets here it will count a little more accurately.
  • Abakan
    Abakan Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    I had exactly the same problem with my fitbit zip which I was given as a present for my birthday last May, I was very disappointed that it didn't register any steps I did around the house. Unfortunantly I lost my fitbit and didn't know I could get a free replacement. Hubby offered to buy me a new one for Christmas but I was so disappointed with the first one I asked for new boots instead.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    The e-mails from fitbit seemed to indicate that mine was an isolated problem, but after googling around a bit, I think it's more common than they are willing to acknowledge. It's a shame. I love all the other features of it. I'm just worried the new one will do the same thing. I'm retired and spend a lot of my day doing household chores. Those movements should count for something.
  • sbdriver2
    Options
    Well, I've had the new one for a week. I set it up as a replacement to the original one, then registered the old one with a different e-mail and have been using the two of them for the last 7 days. The new one is consistently 300 steps a day lower than the original one! lol

Both of them still don't count my "inside steps" with much accuracy but I've just resigned myself to the fact that I'll have to step it up elsewhere to hit my 10,000 steps a day goal.

Thanks for letting me vent. :)