Vibram Shoes??

Options

Replies

• mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Yep...I do ALL my workouts in either VFFs or Merrell Road Gloves; 5-10 mile road runs, TM runs, squats, deadlifts, everything.

Built up heels are EVIL!!! :)
  • frood
    frood Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I wear them for lifting and for taking walks. I only go back to chucks/vans if it's very cold (e.g. today :grumble:).
  • mad_lifting_runner
    mad_lifting_runner Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I loved my VFFs when I bought them for running.. but about 2 months after I made the switch I injured my IT Band... whether the injury was relate to wearing VFFs, I can't say... but it has made me shy away from going back to them. That injury cost me 5 months of pain last year and still isn't fully better, so I'm not going to risk it.

I will also add that it takes upwards of a YEAR to transition to minimal running SAFELY.
  • spoiledpuppies
    spoiledpuppies Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I tried these, and they were fitted attentive by the store clerk, but my little toe would go numb wearing them. Then I tried Merrell's Bareform shoes (that have a Vibram sole). They don't have the toe separation, and I LOVE them. After several years away from running due to plantar fasciitis and heel spurs, I'm back at it!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    I couldn't go more than 6 miles jogging without some rubbing in bad spots, and that was with wearing the toe socks.

So switched to Merrell Trail Glove, which is the same Vibram sole, basically the same wide toe box, totally flexible bottom that is flat, perhaps a mm of neoprene in there. Great for lifting, no squish at all, and no slide.

http://runblogger.com/2011/02/merrell-barefoot-trail-glove-review.html

Current model looks different than this. They have Road Glove also.

merrell-barefoot-trail-glove-review-another-great-zero-drop-running-shoe-option-10.jpg

For those talking about liking the flat (0 drop) flexible aspect, but need more padding overall for high arches, Merrell has the Bare Access.
    runblogger.com/2012/10/merrell-bare-access-2-first-impressions.html

And actually, I've liked the Sketchers GoBionic, mostly because I can actually fit my shorter-leg lifts in the shoe and go farther.
    http://runblogger.com/2012/03/skechers-go-bionic-review-lightweight.html

skechers-go-bionic-review-lightweight-zero-drop-and-ultra-flexible-running-shoe-6.jpg
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the info, looks like a very good alternative ^^^^
  • kerricus
    kerricus Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    Can any women tell me what make/style of Vibram FF or Merrells they like? I'm looking at the See Yas right now. They also have See Ya LS and no one seems to explain the difference.
  • Greytfish
    Greytfish Posts: 810
    Options
    I love mine. I have quite a few pairs. I do all my strength training and running in them.
    I used to wear them for running and the gym....until just washing them wasn't getting the 'funk' out of them, so I abandoned them.

Put them in a vat of water with denture cleaning tablets. You may need to do it a few times if you've let them get bad.
    I have a pair. I used to wear them running and I wore them when I was doing Insanity. The jumping along with my high arches messed up one of my feet so I can't wear them running any more because I need more cushion and I have a special thing that I have to wear under my toes.

I do like them though. They make good boat and water shoes.

Just be aware of what ^^^ she says.
    I also have high arches, and broke my heel running in Vibrams (a pretty large c-shaped fracture). With high arches, your foot never flattens all the way to the ground w/your steps, so the force is distributed into the other parts of your feet. No matter what your technique, this can spell injury for some when there's no cushion to absorb that shock.

I love how they feel, and I've worn them for other things (walking, non-impact stuff). But I'm not going to run in them again.

This is pretty classic for TMTS. You cannot wear shoes that weaken your feet for several decades and then switch to VFFS without a significant adjustment period. It's not the shoes, it's user error.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I used to wear them for running and the gym....until just washing them wasn't getting the 'funk' out of them, so I abandoned them.

My first pair suffered the same fate- they were so bad I'd put them on for like 5 -10 minutes and my feet would wreck for the rest of the day.

Socks. I refuse to wear my vibrams without socks now. best decision EVER- I balked for over a year- I mean that was part of the POINT of having those shoes!!! but- I capitulated and now I won't go back!

Can any women tell me what make/style of Vibram FF or Merrells they like? I'm looking at the See Yas right now. They also have See Ya LS and no one seems to explain the difference.

some are more runner oriented- some are more trail runner oriented some street (I want to say Bilka is the street runner ones) there are a few variations as far as closings- my original KSO was a more off road shoe- and had one velcro strap over the top. My men's pair now (not sure which one it is to be honest- they are grey and yellow) have elastic zip thing across the top of the foot.

Best thing is to go see them in person to be honest.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    I love mine. I have quite a few pairs. I do all my strength training and running in them.
    I have a pair. I used to wear them running and I wore them when I was doing Insanity. The jumping along with my high arches messed up one of my feet so I can't wear them running any more because I need more cushion and I have a special thing that I have to wear under my toes.

I do like them though. They make good boat and water shoes.

Just be aware of what ^^^ she says.
    I also have high arches, and broke my heel running in Vibrams (a pretty large c-shaped fracture). With high arches, your foot never flattens all the way to the ground w/your steps, so the force is distributed into the other parts of your feet. No matter what your technique, this can spell injury for some when there's no cushion to absorb that shock.

I love how they feel, and I've worn them for other things (walking, non-impact stuff). But I'm not going to run in them again.

This is pretty classic for TMTS. You cannot wear shoes that weaken your feet for several decades and then switch to VFFS without a significant adjustment period. It's not the shoes, it's user error.

wanted to comment on this separately- I would agree with this completely. User error.

the whole point of the Vibram is to adjust - you cannot run the same way you would in compression wear. If you are running properly in them there is almost no heel impact at all.
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options

See Yas are very light to the point of flimsy. That's the only pair sofar that I am not crazy about. LS stands for lace speed? Anyways, LS means they are lace instead of velcro. They are switching all of them away from velcro now unfortunately. I find velcro better.

As for nice styles, I like the Alitzia which I wear with leggings and dresses. Really low key are the EL-X. They only make them for men but if they do have a couple of smaller sizes so women can wear them too.

My absolute favorites are the Spyridon in pink/green. Feel great and look funky.

I would say just look at their webpage, pick what looks good and find a store to try them on. I would highly recommend to try them on. Don't listen to staff, most don't know how to put them on. Make sure you slide all the way into the toe pockets and only then pull up the back. Some of them will be super tight, hard to get in. It will be easier after a while. Just make sure your toes are not crunched in and make sure there is no pressure on the tip of the toe. Walk around a bit and see how they feel.

After buying, make sure that you ease into walking/running with VFF. They take some time to transition into.

As for the funk that somebody mentioned... I wear mine all the time, wash them (don't stick them into the dryer!) with my regular laundry and they never stay stinky. Smell like fresh laundry! I stopped counting when I bought my 9th pair and would wear nothing else if I had the choice.
  • doug_pierce
    Options
    Love my Vibrams. Not running in them currently because it is too cold. :sad:
  • tedrickp
    tedrickp Posts: 1,229 Member
    Options
    I was considering trying these for weight lifting - but probably not worth it for just deadlifts. I like a raised heel to squat so I couldn't ever squat in them.
  • CassandraBurgos83
    CassandraBurgos83 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I cannot do a leg workout without them now... My favs!
  • jeedsjds13
    jeedsjds13 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I use them and love them. Prefer them in running, and have a good pair I use for the pool too
  • somefitsomefat
    somefitsomefat Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I'm not quite ready for FiveFingers but I work out and run in Merrells that have a Vibram sole. Right now I have the Bare Access but I'm ordering the Trail Glove 2 soon.
  • ThriceBlessed
    ThriceBlessed Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try them, but I'm waiting until I lose a little more weight. I have had a lot of foot problems, and it took me a long time to find a shoe that allowed me to walk, workout, run, etc, without pain. (Ironically the pair that ultimately worked was a cheap brand of shoe carried by Pay Less).

As I lose weight, my feet need less cushioning and support, and I may try vibrams or something similar when I get closer to my goal weight.
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I started running using them in 2011. I have made the progression from there-->softstar, NB MR00, Saucony Kinvara, Brooks Ghost. I have done three marathons wearing the MR00. For my next marathon, I'm probably going to use the Kinvara.

I now train in the Ghost most of the time. I found that my Achilles tendon area hurts more with the same mileage in the minimal shoes, and I don't see any evidence that the minimal shoes are an actual improvement.

However, I would recommend the minimal shoes to a beginning runner for them to do a couch to 5K sort of program and then switch to regular shoes once they're running more than 3 or 4 miles at a time. The reason for that is that the initial stress is on the calves and it might reduce the likelihood of shin splints.
  • JayDavila
    JayDavila Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Not a female LOL but the main difference is the sole and material, the basic seeya is like a barefoot running shoe minimal support/ material, the LS has a more supporting sole and meant for other activities too. Little better material support as well.

..And as mentioned above the lacing vs velcro
  • LessJos
    LessJos Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I've wanted to try them, but I'm waiting until I lose a little more weight. I have had a lot of foot problems, and it took me a long time to find a shoe that allowed me to walk, workout, run, etc, without pain. (Ironically the pair that ultimately worked was a cheap brand of shoe carried by Pay Less).

As I lose weight, my feet need less cushioning and support, and I may try vibrams or something similar when I get closer to my goal weight.

Not sure if I understand. You don't need to lose weight to wear Fivefingers. Your feet don't need cushioning and support. That makes/keeps them weak! I would say if you are overweight you need strong feet!
    They will strengthen your feet and you most likely will have less problems wearing them (after transition time).