Restaurant Pet Peeves

Options

Replies

• Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    Another thing that burns my beans.. I clean my plate and the server says something like, "Wow, you didn't like that at all, huh?" I get that he or she is trying to be funny, but you really just made me feel like a fat-a**. Please, just take my plate and bring me the dessert menu because, yes, I do stil have room.

My dad always makes this typical corny dad joke when we go out to dinner. I keep telling him that servers hear that a billion times per day. lol.
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    When people you go with get annoyed with the food and try to take it out on the waitress by not tipping her. I have a group of friends that won't tip the waitress if they are unhappy with their meals...I'm not down for that. It's not their fault that the food is not to your liking. I understand maybe if the service isn't great - but either way, you should always tip!

On the floor, this used to piss me off. You tip on the service, not the food! Your entree price was the cost of the food, the cook etc... if you have a real problem with the food, you take it up with the manager. You don't take out your frustration on the server. It's like shooting the messenger.
  • superfox12082
    superfox12082 Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    As a patron - Watching the way some people eat really grosses me out. Shoveling it in, chewing with their mouth open...gross. It's like watching someone poop in reverse. :noway:

And people who eat and scrape their teeth on the the fork. It's ALL I can hear when someone is doing that - like finger nails on a chalk board. I can't stand it.

OMG! I never thought of it this way!

And people do that with their forks??? WTH?? Obviously no one taught them manners. ICk!
  • refuseresist
    refuseresist Posts: 934 Member
    Options
    I love that little tortoise eating the strawberry
  • Myhaloslipped
    Myhaloslipped Posts: 4,317 Member
    Options
    As a patron - Watching the way some people eat really grosses me out. Shoveling it in, chewing with their mouth open...gross. It's like watching someone poop in reverse. :noway:

And people who eat and scrape their teeth on the the fork. It's ALL I can hear when someone is doing that - like finger nails on a chalk board. I can't stand it.

OMG! I never thought of it this way!

And people do that with their forks??? WTH?? Obviously no one taught them manners. ICk!

Haha, also people who blow their noses at the table...I can't. So gross!
  • PhearlessPhreaks
    PhearlessPhreaks Posts: 890 Member
    Options
    Restaurants automatically adding 18%-20% on top of my bill. If I want to tip more or less, that is my business. Otherwise, charge more for your product and pay your staff accordingly.

Tips are not taxes or a convenience fee, and it should not be my job as a customer to pay your staff! Many a waitress has made less in tips from me due to the fact that the tip was already added to the bill and my bill was $10-$15. You likely would have received $4-$5 instead of $2-$3... When tips are added on top, I don't bother with more unless the service is remarkable...

A gratuity is ordinarily only added to large parties (and the thought process behind it is, they often split the bill into separate checks, and it's easy to end up getting jipped) but I have experienced servers (and had a girl who did this- she didn't last long in my establishment) who would throw a grat on a smaller table to ensure her 18%.... in my experience, servers who do that are not good at their job, and they know it. If their manager doesn't know it, they're not very good at their job either!

At my restaurant, we did have a disclaimer at the bottom of each page of the menu stating that a gratuity may be added to parties of eight or more- at the server's discretion. I had the wonderful experience of waiting on a party of eight where the woman asked me if I intended on adding a gratuity, becuase if I were, they wouldn't stay, as a gratuity means there's no incentive to do a good job. I explained to her that this is my restaurant and it is in my best interests to give excellent service regardless the tip. They were a demanding table, and she left exactly 15%, right down to the penny. Might I add, the vast majority of the time, my staff did not use the gratuity feature; they were willing to chance it for that extra 2+ percent... and they were usually smart to do so.

ETA: OP, you've got me all sorts of riled up and missing the business!!! Thanks! :grumble:
  • PaleoChocolateBearJr
    Options
    Kids running around screaming, how am I supposed to enjoy my burger with egg and bacon on it if kids are screaming and balloons are popping

I have found that it is usually a good idea to ring the kids food in a little bit ahead of time of the adults' food, especially if they are small children. That way, the kids are happy and settled, and the adults can enjoy their meal by the time it comes out. So many parents have expressed to me how much they appreciate this move.

I used to do that as well when I waited tables
  • PaleoChocolateBearJr
    Options
    Kids running around screaming, how am I supposed to enjoy my burger with egg and bacon on it if kids are screaming and balloons are popping

Red Robin?

Yup
  • KendleX
    KendleX Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    A wobbly table. Its a freaken circus eating with one.
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options

Red Robin?

Yup

People straight up do not watch their kids there. I've had kids riun right into my legs and when I looked around I couldn't see a parent. When that happens wherever I happen to be I will loudly say "Oooh, free kid!"
  • DeliriumCanBeFun
    DeliriumCanBeFun Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I get the impression very few people posting here have worked in a restaurant lol.
    Exactly! I worked in the service industry for too many years, and I have seen it all when it comes to entitled and uncourteous guests. But I will say if you are willing to spend the money to go to first rate places, you will get treated right. Don't expect fine dining treatment at chain restaurants.

With that being said, my big pet peeve at any average restaurant we go to is everyone else at the tables plates being picked up before mine. I eat slower than my husband and usually my kids, and so often I'm the only one left with my plate. That definitely goes against proper server protocol, but so many servers today aren't properly trained or just don't care.

And as I mom of well behaved in public children because I trained them that way, I have no patience for parents of unruly children. And I don't mean special needs kids that may be overstimulated in busy, loud atmospheres. I mean those people who don't take the resonsibility that they should. Do your job or keep them home!
  • nilbogger
    nilbogger Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    Don't expect fine dining treatment at chain restaurants.

Yup! B****, please, don't act like you're a big deal because you scraped up enough money for a Bloomin' Onion and a 6-ounce sirloin.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    It is very rare for us to go out all together to a "real" restaurant. The last time we did, the bill included the large party gratuity. It was DH, myself, and the kids. Obviously we weren't splitting the bill! Sad thing is, our server got the 15% automatically charged, instead of the 20% cash tip we would have left otherwise.

It also bugs me that many parents don't put more effort into teaching their children how to behave in a restaurant. I know how kids can be, trust me. But dammit. Mom, Dad, do your jobs and PARENT.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options

Yup! B****, please, don't act like you're a big deal because you scraped up enough money for a Bloomin' Onion and a 6-ounce sirloin.

:laugh:
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Keep your kids under control!! don't let them roam around the entire restaurant being as loud as possible
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Verbal tippers! That's when everything goes well with a table and they compliment you on your great service, then leave you two bucks.
  • jacquejl
    jacquejl Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    It is very rare for us to go out all together to a "real" restaurant. The last time we did, the bill included the large party gratuity. It was DH, myself, and the kids. Obviously we weren't splitting the bill! Sad thing is, our server got the 15% automatically charged, instead of the 20% cash tip we would have left otherwise.

It also bugs me that many parents don't put more effort into teaching their children how to behave in a restaurant. I know how kids can be, trust me. But dammit. Mom, Dad, do your jobs and PARENT.

The auto-gratuity is a gamble. I've waited on big tables and decided not to put it on there and ended up getting $8 instead of $30 and I've waited on tables where I put the gratuity on and was told if I hadn't the tip would've been higher. Unfortunately, we can't read minds. Some people just don't like to tip regardless of the service, others really like to show their appreciation. I will tell you, though, if you want top notch service....try tipping before your meal.
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    as a past bartendr/waitress/cocktailer -

best job money wise hands down, but.....

SOME CUSTOMERS are nightmares!!!

Your screaming messy kids who want 50 refills of cherry coke
    Oh, you want another side of ranch and cant believe i charged you for it when you get your bill?
    Game day and you come in and eat the 5$ bucket of 2lb wings, drink water, and eat the free taco bar only at half time? sit in my section for 3 hours and spend 5 bucks?
    My bar is 3 rows of people deep at 11:00 pm and you asked for a blended margarita
    I greet your table and ask for drinks and no one aknowledges I am there
    Large party of you and your friends come in and say one bill is fine, then after happy hour is over all 15 of you say you want seperate checks and wonder why it is taking my SO LONG to bring you your tabs
    The food wasnt that great., but the service was so thats why you left me a bad tip??
    you get your tab and cant BELIEVE you have that many drinks on your tab and that some were not free

Yea, customers can suck.
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    I really despise when people go cheapskate and think they can leave a bad tip for whatever "reason" they think they can find. Maybe your food was cold because the kitchen had a difficult time keeping it warm while your *kitten* husbands well-done steak cooked. Or maybe your Mtn Dew didn't get filled within 30 seconds of you slugging it down because the new girl bumped into your waiter while he was traying up his other table's dinner and had sloshed sauce into someone else's salad and had to have it remade. Maybe you didn't get your check right away because your server was busy trying to explain to his other table the exact ingredients in an entree and what vegan options his grill house could create. You never know. PS. To those of you complaining that restaurants should increase their food prices so YOU don't have to tip: Right now, it is societally UNACCEPTABLE to not pay someone for their hard-earned service and if you don't like the system, don't go to restaurants with servers. Go protest and write to your congress about a living wage. It is never appropriate to use services and then not pay for them because they are not in line with your beliefs. If you can't afford to tip, don't go out.

^^^^ THIS. AMEN. As a server and a 9-5'er, I see both sides of this. Some people have WAY TOO HIGH of expectations when they dine. If it is Friday night at 7, and your server has a table of 6, a table of 8, and a two top (maybe even more depending on the restaurant), BE PATIENT. It will probably take her a second to get your drink. She notices it, I promise you, but running back to the kitchen with two of her 8-top's steak that the grill guy undercooked WILL TAKE PRIORITY. She will bring your drink, that 30th loaf of bread (fat *kitten*), and your ranch on her way out. Not to mention trying to separate the 6-top into all separate checks while putting in the two top's order, bringing out your appetizer, the salads, AND dessert.

PATIENCE. When you're at work, and you have 30 things to do at once, surely you hope your customers will be patient and understanding as you work your way down the list?

I have become a master multi-tasker through my years of serving.

Now if you wait 20 minutes for you drink and see your server lounging around, that is unacceptable. But if she or he is running around looking frazzled, the last thing you need to do is snap your fingers at them and demand a refill on your 12th Diet coke.

Rant over. LOL SORRY!
  • MissSarahAllison315
    MissSarahAllison315 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

THIS LOVE!!