To all the anti-low-carb folks, tell me this isn't healthy

Options

Replies

• 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    Not only healthy but delicious, filling, and an effective way to lose weight.

Breakfast - 3 egg omelet with spinach and green peppers
    Morning snack - 23 almonds (1 oz)
    Lunch - 6 oz roast salmon, large romain and tomato salad with 3 tbsp caesars dressing
    Afternoon snack - 2 slices salami and 1 oz cheddar cheese
    Dinner - 2 roasted chicken thighs with skin, 1 cup roasted cauliflower and 1 cup roasted broccoli with olive oil and parmesan
    Desert - 1/2 cup of full-fat greek yogurt with 2 squares of 90% cocoa dark chocolate

Calories - 2000 Net carbs 28g, Protein 111g, Fat 154g

If you are smaller than I am (200 lbs) and need less calories, make it a 2-egg omelet, 4oz salmon, 1 chicken thigh, a little less veg/salad dressing and you can easily get under 1500. To get to around 1300 cut out a snack or desert

Think you might be a bit off - I entered the equivelent and got 47g - I forgot the spinach, so say, 50g

Good for you if you enjoy eating that way everyday but it's not for me.

ETA: will be more actually, I only looked at what was obviously carbs - didn't check yoghurt, for example. This is why people post all the time about not losing, inaccurate logging.
  • LaviMc
    LaviMc Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Sounds good to me!
  • Iwishyouwell
    Iwishyouwell Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    It can't possibly be healthy spending my life full of chit.

Dead_gif.gif
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I have seen a person or two say that low carb isn't healthy.

But the vast majority of people, myself included, say that low-carb isn't necessary for the vast majority of people.

well, in some aspects, its not healthy, but that can be said for any eating plan, but the majority of us just dont feel the need to deprive ourself! and yes, no matter how much you deny it, your deprived when eating low carb... at some point, everyone wants a cookie, a poptart, a slice of cake... its just not ideal for long term maintenance...

Low carb not NO carb. A low carb diet you can still have carb. A no carb diet it restrictive. I suggest many of you have NO idea what a diabetic eats.
  • Bebubble
    Bebubble Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    Looks delicious. However, on a diet like that, my colon would put up an "out of order" sign. Without whole grains, things move through my system V E R Y S L O W L Y. It can't possibly be healthy spending my life full of chit.

With whole grains and a mostly plant-based diet, my system is very happy. So I can't follow your example.

There is something wrong with your colon then. Because the fiber you get from veggies, and the water you should be drinking would do you fine. Again, diabetics have a LOW carb diets and grains are restricted. There are many "healthy weight diabetics" You may actually know some and not even know it.
  • ingoiolo
    ingoiolo Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I could not live without carbs... Damn Mediterranean diet upbringing, it is contrary to all what is trendy these days
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options
    I thought Low carb diets were Fad till few months ago and changed my perception after reading the official recommendation of LCHF diet by Swedish health organization. LCHF diets are very helpful for people who have carb resistance and insulin problems. The bottom-line is you need to find whats best for your body and I do think Calorie in and calorie out theory is too simplified and not really effective.
  • Amazonbella
    Options
    45185671.jpg
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    There's no BACON or CHOCOLATE in there. Fail.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    If you have found a diet that keeps you healthy and on track, why do you care what others think of it?
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    I thought Low carb diets were Fad till few months ago and changed my perception after reading the official recommendation of LCHF diet by Swedish health organization. LCHF diets are very helpful for people who have carb resistance and insulin problems. The bottom-line is you need to find whats best for your body and I do think Calorie in and calorie out theory is too simplified and not really effective.

Not a theory. Science. That's how every weight loss diet works. I'm not talking a few weeks of water loss, then a calorie deficit from cutting carbs, which is how a lot of diets that cut out carbs works.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I could not live without carbs... Damn Mediterranean diet upbringing, it is contrary to all what is trendy these days

Yet is still is at or near the top of diet comparisons when it comes to health.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    in…to see where this goes…

OP - no one ever said low carb is not healthy, at least I have not, the main critique is that is is not some magical fat loss secret, it is not sustainable, and it is idiotic to label food as "bad" or "evil"

I am glad that works for you …I would be starving and have about zero gym performance with that day...
    The secret is to eat what you want in moderation and eat less calories than you burn.

Op, I am way smaller than you, lift weights, do cardio, and I eat around 2,000 to 2,100 calories per day.

No food is good or bad.
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with the nutrition content of the food you posted, but ...

Delicious is in the eye of the beholder. Or in the tongue of the taster.

For me, that would be a gag-inducing meal plan, since I despise bell peppers, literally gag on cooked salmon, hate greek yogurt, and can't fathom why anyone would want to eat cardboard (I mean, cauliflower).

To be fair, it wouldn't require too much of a change-up for me to be happy with it. Substitute out mild to moderate chiles for the bell pepper, cottage cheese for the greek yogurt, raw salmon for cooked, broccoli or brussels sprouts for cauliflower.

Still. I like my carbs. I like to have some sweets and I won't willingly give up bread or starchy veg, since there's no logical reason to do so. Anyone else can do what they like, as long as they realize that low-carb is not the only way (and don't preach that it is).
  • Springfield1970
    Springfield1970 Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    If you have found a diet that keeps you healthy and on track, why do you care what others think of it?

I care because it's unnecessary misery, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it. I did it for a few years because I am a stubborn gullible idiot. As far as I can see the only people who have stayed 'on track' have a vested interest in it or have a condition where they have no choice.

I have had friends in hospital with seizures on LC and seen what it can do to people's brain function.

Edit to say sorry...I don't know who your question is aimed at, but I'm in full rant mode today! :flowerforyou:
  • perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Sounds very good to me Tom!! Must give it a try! :)
  • bullofheaven
    bullofheaven Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I'm a borderline carboholic/ alcoholic (basically same thing). I buy a case of cookies i want to eat half the case of cookies. I want to get that sugar buzz and feel fully satiated. I buy a case of beer I want to drink the case. Get full on buzz going.

Moderation is hard for me. If you can have just two cookies with a glass of milk, good for you. If you can drink one beer, good for you. I can't. I love my paleo high fat lowish protein and lowish carbs cleaner diet. It makes me feel great. I don't really get food cravings and when I do I have a tablespoon of butter or coconut oil and it disappears. I have found what works for me.

To the OP what you posted looks healthy and tasty. But attacking people who may not agree with low carb isn't cool. Life is a struggle and balance for each individual. Each individual must come to terms with their personal responsibility when it comes to their health. For some moderation. For others with food sensitives, allergies, and disease alternative diet/ habits may be involved.

Know your body, know your mind.
  • brazosrider
    Options
    Nice menu. Good job!! I love how you sneak a little chocolate in there. Low carb is working great for me, and I feel so much better. No more brain fog or exhaustion at the end of my work day.
  • Leonidas_meets_Spartacus
    Options

Not a theory. Science. That's how every weight loss diet works. I'm not talking a few weeks of water loss, then a calorie deficit from cutting carbs, which is how a lot of diets that cut out carbs works.

Very simplified science, it doesn't take in to account how your body reacts to different types of foods and how it impacts the fat metabolism. There are many variables which might impact calorie in and calorie out theory depending on your body. In broad sense, yes you can apply first law of thermodynamics and say calories are important but its very small part of the overall picture.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/do-calories-matter

What works for others may not work for some one else despite eating same calories, the secret is figuring out what works.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

I care because it's unnecessary misery, and I wouldn't encourage anyone to do it. I did it for a few years because I am a stubborn gullible idiot. As far as I can see the only people who have stayed 'on track' have a vested interest in it or have a condition where they have no choice.

I have had friends in hospital with seizures on LC and seen what it can do to people's brain function.

Edit to say sorry...I don't know who your question is aimed at, but I'm in full rant mode today! :flowerforyou:
    Interesting, I'd not heard of low carb causing seizures. The ketogenic diet was initially developed by doctors as a treatment for people with epilepsy, and people have very good luck with the reduction in seizures (although some people find it very hard to stick to). Definitely interesting to hear it has the opposite affect in people without epilepsy.