Runners: How cold is to cold?

I do not like running on days like this. Here is Pennsylvania it is 0 degrees F. I don't like winter to begin with but I've ran on days as cold as 20 F. It was last year's turkey trot.

Replies

• DeeVanderbles
    DeeVanderbles Posts: 589 Member
    I have run as cold as like 35F and definitely will not run outside when it's any colder. I think it is mostly personal preference, but definitely dress for the weather. You wouldn't want to get frost bite anywhere just because you wanted to go outside for a run. I'm training for my 10K on the treadmill until it warms up more. I don't expect to get outside on a regular basis until March-ish. I live in Rochester, New York.
  • waterwaif
    waterwaif Posts: 31 Member
    I can't (meaning won't) run below 35 degrees or so. But I'm a Floridian.
  • Xiaolongbao
    Xiaolongbao Posts: 854 Member
    I'm a complete wimp. Anything under 10 degrees Celsius and I struggle to get outside.
  • scribb
    scribb Posts: 3,659 Member
    For me it is more about the icy roads. I will run down to about 0 f without wind as long as the roads are not slick.
  • layne_mat
    layne_mat Posts: 9 Member
    I've ran in -20 C, but I usually draw the line at -15 C or so. Makes me a little nervous to go colder.
  • I don't like to run if it's under 40 lol. My uncle is a big runner he runs like 10 miles everyday and a few weeks ago when that big cold storm came through he went and ran in like -47. I told him he's crazy lol! I'm a wimp to cold!
  • TheGymGypsy
    TheGymGypsy Posts: 1,023 Member
    If it's freezing or below, I would rather run on the treadmill. I would rather be bored then miserable and cold.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    I posted in a forum the other day that it's never too cold to run. I would like to retract that statement after this morning (-7F). I wimped out and didn't go. So I would say my limit is between 5-10 degrees F with no wind chill. Ice usually stops me before the cold.
  • sunnyskies1780
    sunnyskies1780 Posts: 24 Member
    Layers, layers, layers, and then it is fine. I ran last night and it was about 5 degrees before factoring in the wind chill. Dressing appropriately allowed me to get in an hour run. Being prepared is the most important, and even when it isn't that cold I have several different weight neck and face warmers because breathing through something, and not just the cold air into your lungs makes a world of difference.
  • fleetzz
    fleetzz Posts: 962 Member
    Disclaimer: I have lived in Florida for almost 6 years.

Below 43. And in the 40's I wear 4 layers, sweat pants, gloves, and a hat.
  • aelphabawest
    aelphabawest Posts: 173 Member
    About "feels like" 15F is my limit, but I'm likely still going to do my long run on Saturday even though it will "feel like" 10F. I just can't do 11 miles on the treadmill.
  • andibenoit
    andibenoit Posts: 71 Member
    I've run down to about 14F... It's all about layers and covering my ears and face.
  • scottyg70
    scottyg70 Posts: 388 Member
    About "feels like" 15F is my limit, but I'm likely still going to do my long run on Saturday even though it will "feel like" 10F. I just can't do 11 miles on the treadmill.

I'm not doing 11 miles, but avoiding the treadmill is normally my motivating factor.
  • I ran for an hr yesterday in 28F, but struggled to run for 20 min in 32F couple of days back. I have a 2 hr run planned for tomorrow in 10 F weather, not sure if I can do it. I hate treadmill and prefer running outside.
  • KristiRTT
    KristiRTT Posts: 346 Member
    As a upstate NYer I have been dealing with sub-zero temps for the past month! Personally with a few layers on I have ran outside in -15F feels like temps! Anything colder and I bring it indoors, unfortunately it's been colder than that most mornings at 5am when I run! However my coworkers think I am crazy, there are quite a few runners out in these temps!
  • LishieFruit89
    LishieFruit89 Posts: 1,956 Member

I ran a race on a day that said 'feels like 15f".
    I had a tank top, a light UA long sleeve and a light/medium weight reebok jacket.
    I very seriously considered finishing in my tank top when I overheated lol

I dont know how cold id go since ice stops me first.
    We just had a storm and I dont feel like tanking it on the icy sidewalks. It was 1f this AM
  • jclist1
    jclist1 Posts: 87 Member
    I live in Wisconsin, so I find myself running in pretty cold temps. The last few days have been hovering around 0 with a wind chill that puts it closer to -10/-15F. It's harder to get out and run in the temps mentally. My body can generally handle it. Too much wind chill and I it the treadmill, but for the most part, as long as it isn't super icy, I am outside.
  • freyaheart
    freyaheart Posts: 220 Member
    Respect to the people that are out running everyday regardless. I was out driving in a bad snow storm the other day and someone was out running. I couldn't see one inch of uncovered skin! I'm a total baby when it comes to cold. I don't even want to go to the gym today, I just don't want to leave the house.
  • LouSmorals
    LouSmorals Posts: 93 Member
    Anything below 32F (0C) and I'm not going out. Been living in Florida way too long, I am a total puss
  • BAFilek
    BAFilek Posts: 139 Member
    This winter my limit is below zero F. Last winter I ran in below zero temperatures and my eyelashes had icicles hanging on them!