Paleo lifestyle... Have you tried it? How did you feel?

Options

Replies

• stephlahtinen
    stephlahtinen Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    i think paleo is a good thing if that's what you're into, what is there to say negatively about eating whole foods and meats and vegetables? yes its restrictive but just like most diets be they low carb, low calorie and the like, it can be good and work if that's what you're into.

i like restrictive diets personally because isn't that the point, of dieting and losing weight and body maintenance? to restrict yourself from over indulging in order to get the results you want? so i guess i don't see the difference in counting calories, macros, etc or totally eliminating food groups and different types of foods for the desired end result, as long are you're eating and drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy body, then do what works best for you and your lifestyle.

sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, but its just a thought.

and OP, i really liked paleo...currently im on an ultra low carb cycle (which is not for everyone, but i really love it) and i think paleo could be really good for you, if nothing else it forces you aware of the ingredients in all the foods you put in your body, so even if you dont follow the diet to the letter you can still make educated food choices down the road :) good luck
  • twixlepennie
    twixlepennie Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    i think paleo is a good thing if that's what you're into, what is there to say negatively about eating whole foods and meats and vegetables? yes its restrictive but just like most diets be they low carb, low calorie and the like, it can be good and work if that's what you're into.

i like restrictive diets personally because isn't that the point, of dieting and losing weight and body maintenance? to restrict yourself from over indulging in order to get the results you want? so i guess i don't see the difference in counting calories, macros, etc or totally eliminating food groups and different types of foods for the desired end result, as long are you're eating and drinking plenty of water and maintaining a healthy body, then do what works best for you and your lifestyle.

sorry if this sounds like a bit of a rant, but its just a thought.

and OP, i really liked paleo...currently im on an ultra low carb cycle (which is not for everyone, but i really love it) and i think paleo could be really good for you, if nothing else it forces you aware of the ingredients in all the foods you put in your body, so even if you dont follow the diet to the letter you can still make educated food choices down the road :) good luck

I'm in maintenance, eat over 2,000 calories a day and don't restrict any types of food or food groups. So no, maintenance does not have to be about restricting yourself from the things that you like, in order to get and keep the results you want.

There's a big difference between eating correct portion sizes of something you enjoy and staying within an appropriate calorie range, vs. eliminating whole food groups. You cannot compare the two and say it's the same thing, especially in terms of long term sustainability.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

< does not restrict foods..I just eat in deficit, hit macros, and work out with compound movements..works fine for me...

The point of dieting is to find a healthy way to reduce calories and put yourself into a calorie deficit. Not label foods "good" and "bad" and then restrict the "bad" foods..

Don't you think it would be easier to eat the foods you like, and still be able to achieve your goals?
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,017 Member
    Options

< does not restrict foods..I just eat in deficit, hit macros, and work out with compound movements..works fine for me...

The point of dieting is to find a healthy way to reduce calories and put yourself into a calorie deficit. Not label foods "good" and "bad" and then restrict the "bad" foods..

Don't you think it would be easier to eat the foods you like, and still be able to achieve your goals?
    For some people that is a recipe for disaster. Lifestyle changes means you make changes and if it was as easy as just eating less, nobody would be obese, but they are, and some/many find it difficult to not overeat certain foods. I think it's imperative to understand that while eating foods you enjoy and hitting macro and micro requirements will require a large majority of people to change their eating habits simply because you can't continue to consume calorie dense highly processed foods and hit those goals, so it doesn't work, or if it does, it doesn't stick. I'm not saying or justifying taking large swaths for the sake of change, but to minimize trigger foods and find other sources of nutrients that achieve those micro/macro requirements and sometimes drastic measures are taken. It's a journey and I believe everyone should have an open mind when it comes to alternatives to less nutritious choices. I'm off to have my pizza for lunch.:smile:
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,899 Member
    Options

For some people that is a recipe for disaster. Lifestyle changes means you make changes and if it was as easy as just eating less, nobody would be obese, but they are, and some/many find it difficult to not overeat certain foods. I think it's imperative to understand that while eating foods you enjoy and hitting macro and micro requirements will require a large majority of people to change their eating habits simply because you can't continue to consume calorie dense highly processed foods and hit those goals, so it doesn't work, or if it does, it doesn't stick. I'm not saying or justifying taking large swaths for the sake of change, but to minimize trigger foods and find other sources of nutrients that achieve those micro/macro requirements and sometimes drastic measures are taken. It's a journey and I believe everyone should have an open mind when it comes to alternatives to less nutritious choices. I'm off to have my pizza for lunch.:smile:

I agree with this. I remember when I ate "normally". It took me a lot of years to get to where I am now with understanding food and nutrition and truly looking at food differently than I used to.

I think us healthy people forget what it's like when you literally have absolutely no idea what eating healthy means. Sure, just eat lean meats, veggies, throw in some rice or pasta, and a few snacks here and there. But, how does that play out everyday? When you have zero clue, it's really difficult to even comprehend. I remember not understanding at all. It sounds funny, but people don't know what it means and how it affects them. And, just cold turkey change is really difficult.

So, sometimes, turning to a prescribed plan, with rules, helps a lot. In that process, one learns some things. Like, eating lots of protein and fat is really filling. And, they don't get fat from it. Carbs aren't really as filling. But, they also learn that carbs aren't killing them. Then, they realize, ah, a diet of lots of protein and a healthy balance of fat and carbs keeps me happy and full and losing weight. People can start to make connections and realize what's happening. It's not over night, it might be years as they go through different aspects of health and nutrition.

So, I think it's ok. Yes, it's an extremely restrictive diet. But, maybe they'll learn something in the process. Just saying, eat all the food in moderation works for you and me because we have awesome context around that. But, not everyone does.

^ I agree with this. I think many of us (I can only speak for myself) are simply trying to help provide that context. At the end of the day though, it does need to "click." That "ahha" moment was an awesome feeling though.
  • IronPlayground
    IronPlayground Posts: 1,594 Member
    Options

Yeah, we all know about this. That's not the topic at hand.

OP asks about Paleo

I post about Paleo

Guitar Jerry says the topics not about Paleo
  • parkscs
    parkscs Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    wasn't the average life span ten thousand years ago like thirty..? Don't really understand following a way of eating from 10,000 years ago…and how does one replicate what was eaten 10,000 years ago ..?

No, seriously, I am not pushing paleo. I am not even doing anything close enough to paleo to call it paleo other than cutting out foods from my own diet that don't work for me. So I'm not talking because I have nothing personal to offer. I have no idea why other people who use their macros (like I do) have to barge into threads that have nothing to do with them and act like the drunken uncle in the corner who can't shut up with his opinion on everything that has nothing to do with him. Blah blah blah.

It wouldn't be MFP if some shirtless bro didn't burst into every thread to say "HEY BRO DID YOU KNOW YOU COULD BE DOING IIFYM LIKE ME???" :wink:
  • mikes99mail
    mikes99mail Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    to the OP: I tried it without counting calories - I loved it and felt amazing but didnt lose any weight.

Now I'm eating a less 'pure' version of it (so pretty much just low carb, high protein) but obsessively recording every calorie and I'm down 15lb since Christmas.

So if you do try it, I'd recommend also counting calories!
  • BarbellApprentice
    BarbellApprentice Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Yes. Lost about 10lbs pretty quickly. A substantial portion of this was water weight. Then I stalled out. I felt ok, for the most part. However, I feel much better now eating gobs of carbs. My adherence is better since I can enjoy any food I care to. My workouts are better since I actually have fuel.

Paleo is not a magic bullet or THE solution. It is an approach that can work for some. Don't take everything from the Paleo or anti Paleo as gospel. Research and experiment on yourself.
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    I'd love to try the palaeo lifestyle.... but it would have to be a short term thing. I think I could cope with living in a cave or animal skin tent with only fire and animal skins for warmth and having to hunt and gather my own food for maybe 2 weeks. And only then if someone could teach me how to make and use palaeolithic hunting weapons, plus some animals that are really really easy to catch because you can't just learn to hunt with palaeolithic weapons overnight, i mean that's why the extended childhood of humans evolved in the first place, because even palaeolithic technology takes a lot of time to master. I think would would make me go back to civilisation though, is the ability to have a hot bath. I don't know how palaeolithic people stayed clean, but I'm willing to bet that either it involved cold water or they got used to the smell of body odour.
  • neanderthin
    Options
    I'd love to try the palaeo lifestyle.... but it would have to be a short term thing. I think I could cope with living in a cave or animal skin tent with only fire and animal skins for warmth and having to hunt and gather my own food for maybe 2 weeks. And only then if someone could teach me how to make and use palaeolithic hunting weapons, plus some animals that are really really easy to catch because you can't just learn to hunt with palaeolithic weapons overnight, i mean that's why the extended childhood of humans evolved in the first place, because even palaeolithic technology takes a lot of time to master. I think would would make me go back to civilisation though, is the ability to have a hot bath. I don't know how palaeolithic people stayed clean, but I'm willing to bet that either it involved cold water or they got used to the smell of body odour.
    Hotspring, just like the monkeys of Nagano and I think they skied as well. Not so bad after all.:happy:
  • neandermagnon
    Options
    Hotspring, just like the monkeys of Nagano and I think they skied as well. Not so bad after all.:happy:

If you happen to live in proximity to hot springs that would work....
  • neanderthin
    Options

Or anywhere south of the 35th parallel, especially from March on, nice and warm.
  • rejectuf
    rejectuf Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I've been doing 80/20 paleo. Functionally, this means all my weekday meals are paleo with a few restaurant meals on the weekend as my cheat.

If you like to cook, Paleo is a pretty awesome diet. It takes you out of your comfort zone a bit, makes you experiment, and encourages *everything* from scratch. I made my own condiments and now will never go back to storebought salad dressings, ketchup, mustard, etc. I don't really care about organic, grass-fed, free range, whatever. But I do appreciate quality of ingredients. I sought out local farms and found some amazing sources of meat, eggs, and vegetables. They tend to be organic and grass-fed, but if they're not I don't stress about it.

Since starting the diet, my performance in the gym has greatly improved. I don't try to restrict carbs, as much as I simply make sure my carbs are coming from nutrient-rich sources like fruit and vegetables.

If you go Paleo, do some research and realize that the initial conception of Paleo is simply an inspiration for developing your own personal diet. For me, I've never had any kind of issues with dairy. I don't like drinking milk (prefer almond milk) but will still use whey protein, eat some cheese, etc. Beans caused more digestive issues than they were worth, so I cut them out. Read around and you'll find many thoughtful resources about the primal/paleo diet. You'll see most take the time to look into individual ingredients/foods to determine their inclusion/exclusion.

The caveman thing was how the idea got started. It shouldn't be seen as the goal of the diet. Cavemen led short, brutal lives and probably died from food related issues far more often than modern man. But the idea that humans didn't evolve to eat grains and processed sugars was an interesting one that led to a pretty effective diet.
  • neandermagnon
    Options

Or anywhere south of the 35th parallel, especially from March on, nice and warm.

the closer you are to the equator though, the more insects, snakes and stuff you have to contend with. And I don't like the heat. If I go paleo, it has to be somewhere relatively cold. Where I live now, I need air conditioning for about 8 months of the year. At least there's such a thing as paleo central heating, as long as you can gather enough firewood
  • Iron_Pheonix
    Iron_Pheonix Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I think you have to read up and try it for yourself. Personally I was very ill, mostly bed bound and if wasn't until I went Paleo that I started to recover. It's not been the only thing I did but it was a huge part of it. I've had more recovery in the past year than some get in 5 years or even 25 years with this illness. So if you suffer from any gut health or neurological disorders like me it's definitely worth investing your time in. I just wanted to put in a non- weight loss perspective!
  • neanderthin
    Options

the closer you are to the equator though, the more insects, snakes and stuff you have to contend with. And I don't like the heat. If I go paleo, it has to be somewhere relatively cold. Where I live now, I need air conditioning for about 8 months of the year. At least there's such a thing as paleo central heating, as long as you can gather enough firewood
    Sweating in loincloths was the first recorded effective air conditioning method, environmentally friendly as well, especially around the fire at night.