Yes, I'm for stem cell research

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
One of the great things I get to do in my Wellness Center is sit in on free half hour talks from people in our hospital discussing programs, health issues, and latest research. Today was on growing artificial bone marrow. Here's part of the hand out:
The Young Investigators Group "Stem Cell - Material Interactions" headed by Dr. Cornelia Lee-Thedieck consists of scientists of the KIT Institute of Functional Interfaces (IFG), the Max Planck Institute for Intelligent Systems, Stuttgart, and Tübingen University. It artificially reproduced major properties of natural bone marrow at the laboratory. With the help of synthetic polymers, the scientists created a porous structure simulating the sponge-like structure of the bone in the area of the blood-forming bone marrow. In addition, they added protein building blocks similar to those existing in the matrix of the bone marrow for the cells to anchor. The scientists also inserted other cell types from the stem cell niche into the structure in order to ensure substance exchange.

Then, the researchers introduced hematopoietic stem cells isolated from cord blood into this artificial bone marrow. Subsequent breeding of the cells took several days. Analyses with various methods revealed that the cells really reproduce in the newly developed artificial bone marrow. Compared to standard cell cultivation methods, more stem cells retain their specific properties in the artificial bone marrow.

The newly developed artificial bone marrow that possesses major properties of natural bone marrow can now be used by the scientists to study the interactions between materials and stem cells in detail at the laboratory. This will help to find out how the behavior of stem cells can be influenced and controlled by synthetic materials. This knowledge might contribute to producing an artificial stem cell niche for the specific reproduction of stem cells and the treatment of leukemia in ten to fifteen years from now.

I truly believe that one day we will beat cancer and know that stem cell research will play a big role.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    We will never beat cancer. We may learn how to live longer and longer with some types of cancer (in fact, we are already doing that). JMHO.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I don't believe cancer will be healed just because its such a money maker.

If they do cure cancer, there will be another disease that will sprout into an epidemic that we won't be able to cure.
  • blably
    blably Posts: 490 Member
    Options
    I don't believe cancer will be healed just because its such a money maker.

If they do cure cancer, there will be another disease that will sprout into an epidemic that we won't be able to cure.

exactly

cancer = money

its sad but true
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    We've practically eradicated polio and if the notion was just about money, then they should have never developed a vaccine. There will ALWAYS be a need for health care and I'm sure that by just making it more expensive for treatments, the moguls will still profit. I do hate that especially in the US healthcare is a for profit venture.

IDEA Fitness member
    Been in fitness industry for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • blably
    Options
    We've practically eradicated polio and if the notion was just about money, then they should have never developed a vaccine. There will ALWAYS be a need for health care and I'm sure that by just making it more expensive for treatments, the moguls will still profit. I do hate that especially in the US healthcare is a for profit venture.

IDEA Fitness member

i think its gettin like that everywhere.

we are supposed to have free health care. i had terrible headaches, felt dizzy felt weak etc....so my General Doc said i should see a neurologist and get an MRI. i called to make an appointment, she told me a date that was more than 6 months in the future. i asked if theres no other way ? yes of course, you can pay 150 euro and you can come tommorow. so i paid 150 eur for 2 minutes with the doc. but what if there really was somethin wrong like a tumor, you know what can happen in 6 + months.

same with the dentists- those are i believe the worst. the moment i was 18, and went to my school dentist i had to pay somethin, she allways finds somethin. so much about ''free healthcare''.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    Wow, that is a level of cynicism even I can't match.

And it doesn't really even make sense logically if you think about it. Just about everyone has lost at least one loved one to cancer. I have lost 3 in the last 10 years. Nobody wants to die of cancer, and everybody's at risk of cancer, so every person on the planet has a vested interest in finding a cure.
  • blably
    Options
    Wow, that is a level of cynicism even I can't match.

And it doesn't really even make sense logically if you think about it. Just about everyone has lost at least one loved one to cancer. I have lost 3 in the last 10 years. Nobody wants to die of cancer, and everybody's at risk of cancer, so every person on the planet has a vested interest in finding a cure.

i had ovary cancer i very much know how ****ty it is.

but i think its the truth...they can make so much, and yet they found nothing on cancer? i doubt this very much. that there are people restricting it to be world-known that we can cure it? very much believe so.
  • BrainyBurro
    BrainyBurro Posts: 6,129 Member
    Options
    I do hate that especially in the US healthcare is a for profit venture.

so you believe that the government should force people to work at gunpoint for free? ...or that taxpayers should be robbed of the fruits of their labors at gunpoint to fund a bloated federal bureaucracy to do this work much less competently because the economic benefit has been removed?

neither of those options appeal to me.
  • jenifr818
    jenifr818 Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    tagging to read more later.
  • Lovely_77
    Lovely_77 Posts: 1,116 Member
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes but then again the vaccine costs money... so still a profit. However, I don't really know if morally I support stem cell research butI do know that they have cured cancer by taking T cells from a person and then injecting them back into the body basically training those T cells to fight off the cancer and it has worked problem is it causes very severe flu like symptoms for a couple of days in which the patient whom is alreadyy immune depressed will be under full observation until it passes.. it could kill that patient since they do not have a strong immune system but that said they do not do it unless the patient is terminal and have exhausted all other means with treatment and given only a certain amount of time to live. So stem cell isn't the only option as those T cells will remain in the person's body for life therefore always ready and available to fight off future cancer cells. They did this with a 9 year old I believe who was already dying from leukemia and after three days, the symptoms wore off and six months later still cancer free.. this is a girl who was suffering from cancer for 3/4 of her life. So reason I am not sure I can support stem cell is because it isn't the only major cure all out there and T cells comes from that person's body no need for artificial anything.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Yes but then again the vaccine costs money... so still a profit. However, I don't really know if morally I support stem cell research butI do know that they have cured cancer by taking T cells from a person and then injecting them back into the body basically training those T cells to fight off the cancer and it has worked problem is it causes very severe flu like symptoms for a couple of days in which the patient whom is alreadyy immune depressed will be under full observation until it passes.. it could kill that patient since they do not have a strong immune system but that said they do not do it unless the patient is terminal and have exhausted all other means with treatment and given only a certain amount of time to live. So stem cell isn't the only option as those T cells will remain in the person's body for life therefore always ready and available to fight off future cancer cells. They did this with a 9 year old I believe who was already dying from leukemia and after three days, the symptoms wore off and six months later still cancer free.. this is a girl who was suffering from cancer for 3/4 of her life. So reason I am not sure I can support stem cell is because it isn't the only major cure all out there and T cells comes from that person's body no need for artificial anything.

stem cells are a red herring. the actual treatment for cancer will come from nanotechnology advancements anyway.
  • Lovely_77
    Options
    The point is there is already a cure for cancer what they are doing now is finding a better less life threatening cure.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    snowmen.jpg
  • Lovely_77
    Options
    And until the radiation that is consistently put off by us inhabitants of this earth and many other forms of chemicals cancer will still rule in the medical field. Everyone has cancer cells in their body those cancer cells are only able to multiply and further mutate due to the G0-G1 phase of the cell cycle in a word, "malfunctioning" and allowing a bad or mutated cell to slip through.
  • BrainyBurro
    Options
    The point is there is already a cure for cancer what they are doing now is finding a better less life threatening cure.

actually, it's a delivery system that targets just the cancer cells that is missing.

that's what nanotechnology will allow. basically individual cancer cells will be targeted by nanobots injected into the body and controlled externally, which will protect healthy cells from harm.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131219131227.htm
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech/science/fighting-cancer-with-nanotechnology/article/365407
    etc.
  • Fullsterkur_woman
    Fullsterkur_woman Posts: 2,712 Member
    Options
    I do hate that especially in the US healthcare is a for profit venture.

so you believe that the government should force people to work at gunpoint for free? ...or that taxpayers should be robbed of the fruits of their labors at gunpoint to fund a bloated federal bureaucracy to do this work much less competently because the economic benefit has been removed?

neither of those options appeal to me.
    Oh, you, with your rational logic. :wink:
  • SalishSea
    SalishSea Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Stem cells save lives. EVERYDAY.
  • tlcarolinagirl
    tlcarolinagirl Posts: 1,700 Member
    Options
    Thanks to the OP for posting this. As someone who lives with leukemia (and is thriving thanks to continued medical research), I know the importance of stem cell research. I owe my life to people like you and I say THANKS!!!
    :drinker: :wink: :flowerforyou:
  • Lovely_77
    Options

actually, it's a delivery system that targets just the cancer cells that is missing.

that's what nanotechnology will allow. basically individual cancer cells will be targeted by nanobots injected into the body and controlled externally, which will protect healthy cells from harm.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/12/131219131227.htm
    http://www.digitaljournal.com/tech/science/fighting-cancer-with-nanotechnology/article/365407
    etc.

Right, which is the best more preferable method of a cure. A cure is a cure but the T cells can and will cause a patient to fight for their life before that cure happens... and its a method that will allow this patient to always have these T cells thus furthering the prevention and cure. The nanotechnology would obviously be the better method as like you said it will not harm all fast growing cells
  • AwMyLoLo
    AwMyLoLo Posts: 1,571 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later..