Just tell me it's possible (2+ hours on a treadmill :)

Options

Replies

• smittygirl
    smittygirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I have a track at my gym so when doing long runs i do both track and treadmill to mix it up and that helps, not sure if you have this option though.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Yeah... tablet or something. I bring my tablet and stream video over the gym's wifi. I've never done 2 hours, but I've done an hour. Be careful though, at my Y the treadmills are programmed to 'cool down' at an hour. It completely threw me off. Almost lost my balance with the sudden speed change. Not sure other gyms do this or just mine, but a word of caution is always good, lol.
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    I put the tv on closed caption, find something interesting to watch AND play my music. I love the combo. Just walking right now but I find time flies this way.
  • khoshgeleh16
    khoshgeleh16 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Oh man, good luck! I had to treadmill over Christmas, and that was only 5k before I was wanting to climb the walls... even with a television!
  • mitchiejo
    mitchiejo Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I personally have not but my sister does. She is training for the Boston Marathon (her first year qualifying for it). When we have crappy weather like today with all this snow she hits the treadmill for her runs. She catches up on some of her television shows or watches movies.

I would absolutely die of boredom myself but YES it can be done!!
  • mtikky
    mtikky Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've just done over 2.5 miles on a crosstrainer in 30 minutes... so based on that a half marathon would take just over 2 and a half hours... doable but bring a well stocked MP3 player. :D
  • UrbanRunner81
    UrbanRunner81 Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I think I am going to have to do today :( I need 11 miles, shouldn't take me 2 hours but close enough. I have ran in some crazy weather but I don't think I can manage a good run in the amount of snow we are getting. I think I'd be out there for 3 hours with our weather.
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    I frequently run 1-1 1/2 hours on the treadmill and I've run over 2 hours so it can be done. Take some music or audiobook and headphones. Nobody will look at you strangely..people on the treadmill are way too focused on their own training!
    Bring a small towel (to wipe the sweat because I sweat like crazy on the treadmill), and a water bottle. Have a strategy: I plan to run at a certain pace for 50 mins or so then I start at that pace and count down. Then I change up my pace and run at that pace for a while just to mix it up. You don't have to do it exactly like I do but definitely have a plan. And counting down seems to make a big difference. Some of the treadmills have a graphic that shows a trail or track..this helps a lot and gives you something to focus on (just like when you are running distance outside). Some treadmills have tvs! I love those..you get some "guilt-free" tv watching in at the same time.
    You can do it..remember the treadmill is easier on your feet and legs so you are saving some wear and tear too!
    Good luck!
  • Commander_Keen
    Commander_Keen Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    How are you going to do it.
    Isn't there a time limit on how long you can stay on the treadmill ? Usually 30-45 min?

Anything is possible.
    Bring an Ipad or a tablet and watch netflex
  • acpgee
    acpgee Posts: 7,703 Member
    Options
    My weapon of choice is the elliptical. To combat the boredom I watch catch up TV on the smart phone.
  • eknutila
    Options
    I used to never run in bad weather, but now have found I love it. While your pace may be slower - depending on the weather you're getting, it still is good training. Slower run perhaps, but good exertion and often helps build up other parts of your leg. Natures Cross Training! While I don't know where you live or how bad the snow is , I've been running in Torrential Rain, Ice Storms, Snow Storms. It's all about the right gear - like this has been my gear the last few days along with some good ski gloves (not too bulky). If you're getting a foot an hour or unsafe then I agree - dreadmill it is (Love that term), but more people can run outside than they think. And I guarantee the bad weather makes for interesting runs!

12133661653_147e83f02f.jpg
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    yeah, it's not optimal but I think you can do it. I've only ever done 75 minutes, but I'm a newb. If you have an iPad, load up a movie or your favourite series you need to catch up on and go! Good Luck.
  • jiggaguilar
    jiggaguilar Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm sure you'll bring a music/media source but when you get bored don't hesitate to take off your earbuds. For me, it really blows time to match strides with people and feel like I'm running with people around me, listen to the sounds of the gym, hear what's on the gym speakers. I ran 70 minutes with no headphones (I forgot them) the other day and it was less boring than some short headphone runs. That said I never use music outside so I'm used to that, but, give that a try when you're bored with music.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,775 Member
    Options
    Music is key. Try RockMyRun.com for playlist downloads.
  • LauraBee96
    LauraBee96 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I've done 10 miles before! As others suggested, a good audiobook can help the time go by quickly. Or check out a podcast. I really like 'This American Life' for podcasts!!
  • RachelRuns9
    RachelRuns9 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Thank you, all! :):) Ipad, audio book, music, a zen attitude -- check.

Oh and great advice about the small towel. I wouldn't have thought of that.

Off to do 6 for today's run so I'll start to get myself mentally prepared for tomorrow!

go weekend warriors!
  • The_Enginerd
    The_Enginerd Posts: 3,982 Member
    Options
    Best of luck. I'd rather take my chances in the snow. Think I'd rather be dragged behind a truck that long. Isn't this banned under the Geneva convention?
  • cuinboston2014
    cuinboston2014 Posts: 848 Member
    Options
    I've done over 20 miles on a treadmill - though it was on a personal treadmill where I could change TV channels at my convenience. Some people download podcasts or audio books. I would otherwise just read the captions on the TV and get in the zone. Once you get into it your mind might just wander wherever you let it take you.

And good luck - you can do it :)
  • graceire
    graceire Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    I did 90 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, but my treadmill is at home and I was watching the movie "Hansel and Gretel"' with Jeremy Renner so that kept me moving. :wink:
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    doable, just boring. I once had to run 18 on a treadmill due to a blizzard. The only problem was the gym treadmill cut off after 1 hour, so if I zoned out it would stop suddenly, and if I wasn't careful I would get tripped up.