I smell a troll...
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Get a fitbit.
  • TheSlorax
    TheSlorax Posts: 2,401 Member
    Options
    Ok, based on the comments, I think it would be more reasonable for me to instead target losing 1lb a week instead of 2lb. That way I can consume more calories daily, if I understand that correctly. So if I continue to do cardio 5 days a week, and eat at least 1500 calories daily, will that be more reasonable and allow me to succesfully lose 1lb a week?

That is a much more reasonable rate of weight loss, however 1500 is still too low. What is your height, weight, and age? If you give us your stats someone will likely be nice enough to calculate a reasonable calorie goal for you.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Ok, based on the comments, I think it would be more reasonable for me to instead target losing 1lb a week instead of 2lb. That way I can consume more calories daily, if I understand that correctly. So if I continue to do cardio 5 days a week, and eat at least 1500 calories daily, will that be more reasonable and allow me to succesfully lose 1lb a week?

That is a much more reasonable rate of weight loss, however 1500 is still too low. What is your height, weight, and age? If you give us your stats someone will likely be nice enough to calculate a reasonable calorie goal for you.

I understand. Thank you. Here you go.

Height: 5'9
    Weight: 155
    Goal: 140
    Cardio: 5/days week. (250 calories burned each run)
  • TheRealParisLove
    TheRealParisLove Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Do you have a pedometer? That will tell you your true activity level outside of your workouts. Mine shows me as walking about 5 miles a day at my job. I consider myself "active." When I had a desk job, I listed myself as lightly active because I was still walking my dog several times a day and rode my bike to and from work (20 mile round trip) but logged my bike commute separately.

Your activity level on MFP is based on how much time you spend standing/ moving when you aren't doing exercises. Desk jobs would be sedentary.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    FitnFeistyLyness Posts: 757 Member
    Options
    wow.. thanks.. i just learned from this thread the activity.. is about daily activity.. i based it on exercise.. people can always learn new things. even if you dont understand them. google is amazing.. thanks ill go change my activity level..
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Ask Jeeves.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    lol pirate.

i put lightly active.. i take care of my mom wheelchair.. im washing clothes cooking bringing her food water.. helping her get dressed.keeping up the house through the day.. im on my feet more than a desk job.. so i think thats fairly accurate to say lightly active..

that brought my cal more to what my bmr said i should be eating.. i put my weight down to 1 pound a week.. it may be less, but im fine with that. its a process not a race.

thanks again.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Ask Jeeves.

Who's Jeeves? And what should I ask him??
  • ILiftHeavyAcrylics
    ILiftHeavyAcrylics Posts: 27,732 Member
    Options
    Ask Jeeves.

Who's Jeeves? And what should I ask him??

Oh Lord.

Ask Jeeves was a popular search engine that apparently only we old fogies remember.
  • skittlesnhoney
    skittlesnhoney Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Your base metabolic rate is 1705 calories a day. That's how much you burn if you were to sit in your bed all day. Based on your activity of working out 5 times a week, you should be burning 2493 calories.

Suggested calories based on a 15% fat loss is 2119 a day. Aggressive 20% is 1994 and Reckless (25%) is 1870.

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day carbs 204 protein 155 fat 62 fiber 31 - 39 calories 1994
    GRAMS per meal carbs 68 protein 51.7 fat 20.7 fiber 10 - 13 calories 665

Based on 3 meals a day, or you can take it and split it up over 3 meals and 1 or 2 snacks.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Your base metabolic rate is 1705 calories a day. That's how much you burn if you were to sit in your bed all day. Based on your activity of working out 5 times a week, you should be burning 2493 calories.

Suggested calories based on a 15% fat loss is 2119 a day. Aggressive 20% is 1994 and Reckless (25%) is 1870.

CARBS PROTEIN FAT FIBER CALORIES
    GRAMS per day 204 155 62 31 - 39 1994
    GRAMS per meal 68 51.7 20.7 10 - 13 665

Appreciate your help. Some of the terms you mentioned I'm not really familiar with, but the gist of what you're saying is in order to safely lose 1lb a week, I need to at least consume anywhere from 1800 - 2100 calories daily? While exercising 5/days a week?
  • 1PatientBear
    1PatientBear Posts: 2,089 Member
    Options

Dude. 140 is WAY too little for someone 5'9" unless you really have a burning need to look like a Kenyan marathon runner. Heck, even 155 seems low. I am 5'8" and my goal is 175. You need to do more than just cardio if you want a good build. Lift some weights in addition to the cardio and I would suggest re-evaluating your ultimate weight goal. What are you going for anyway? What is your ultimate goal?
  • MatrixGravity
    Options

Dude. 140 is WAY too little for someone 5'9" unless you really have a burning need to look like a Kenyan marathon runner. Heck, even 155 seems low. I am 5'8" and my goal is 175. You need to do more than just cardio if you want a good build. Lift some weights in addition to the cardio and I would suggest re-evaluating your ultimate weight goal. What are you going for anyway? What is your ultimate goal?

My primary goal is to eliminate my belly fat, and get a flat stomach like this. http://i.imgur.com/8z0wIIn.jpg

I'm hoping that the diet/cardio combination will allow me to reach that.
  • Will_Thrust_For_Candy
    Will_Thrust_For_Candy Posts: 6,109 Member
    Options
    Which way will this go?

1. Ends in a good troll flaming?

2. Ends in "Why are MFP people so mean?"

But just to toss my 2 cents in....OP.....you should get yourself on a solid strength training plan as focus, running as secondary and eat for goodness sake. You are 20 years old and my guess is that you want the ladies to drool because you're smoking hot. Take a few minutes to read the links provided and learn what you need to learn to be successful. Good luck.
  • FitnFeistyLyness
    Options
    i remember ask jeeves i guess im showing my age lol

ok enough chatting.. off to move my body..
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    My primary goal is to eliminate my belly fat, and get a flat stomach like this. http://i.imgur.com/8z0wIIn.jpg

Ok, given that "Tyler Durden" was only ~155-160 pounds at 2 inches taller, for the look you want, your weight goal sounds like it is more or less in the right ball park.

It'll be mostly diet.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options
    Which way will this go?

1. Ends in a good troll flaming?

2. Ends in "Why are MFP people so mean?"

But just to toss my 2 cents in....OP.....you should get yourself on a solid strength training plan as focus, running as secondary and eat for goodness sake. You are 20 years old and my guess is that you want the ladies to drool because you're smoking hot. Take a few minutes to read the links provided and learn what you need to learn to be successful. Good luck.

Lol, No. Not interested in "ladies". As I stated earlier, my goal is to essentially get a flat stomach because I can't tolerate looking at my belly fat. It's unattractive and I'm tired of looking like this. Strength training isn't really related to my goals. I'm not looking to get "huge". I just simply want a flat stomach and that's it really. Maybe tone my arms slightly but ultimately a flat stomach is the goal.
  • SunofaBeach14
    SunofaBeach14 Posts: 4,932 Member
    Options
    If I spend most of the day sitting, but spend around 30-40 minutes exercising (5 days a week), how active does that make me?
    If you spend most of the day sitting, you are sedentary. Set your goal to .5 lb. per week (w/ only 15 lbs. to lose, anything higher is unhealthy). You'll be given a calorie goal w/ your deficit built in. This is referred to as your "net calories."

Log your exercise, and you'll be given more calories to eat. The calorie counts & burns are estimates. Some people reduce the margin of error by eating back half their exercise calories. It will take trial & error to find what works for you.

.5lb a week is way too slow. I think what I'll do is simply eat 1000 calories maximum a day, while exercising 30+ min cardio 5 days a week. Hopefully that will work. Then again, I'm new to dieting so I don't really understand it entirely, but yeah.
    So to summarise - you admit you don't know what you are doing but you are going to ignore good advice from people who do know what they are doing.
    Good luck - you are going to need it.

This.

Yep.
  • MatrixGravity
    Options

Ok, given that "Tyler Durden" was only ~155-160 pounds at 2 inches taller, for the look you want, your weight goal sounds like it is more or less in the right ball park.

It'll be mostly diet.

Hey man, I PM'd you. :)