Is gluten free cous cous a 'clean' food?

Options

Replies

• girlygirlnicole
    girlygirlnicole Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    I don't want bloating stomach foods?
  • ultamithuli524
    Options
    people who are prediabetic or insulin resistant need to eat less carbs to lose weight
  • saradord
    saradord Posts: 129
    Options

Agreed!!! people get soo defensive when anyone mentions eating clean!!! I know it makes me feel amazing and thats why I do it , it might not be for everyone !! to each their own !!!
  • F00LofaT00K
    F00LofaT00K Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    Instead of throwing it out, why not donate it to a food bank or something? I'm sure there are plenty of people who need it more than a garbage dump.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options

Agreed!!! people get soo defensive when anyone mentions eating clean!!! I know it makes me feel amazing and thats why I do it , it might not be for everyone !! to each their own !!!

Phew someone that thinks the same, didn't realise so many people would be down my neck about it. Makes me feel good too and that's just my aim, plus eating healthy carbs only lol. Crazy. Everyone has different goals.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    people who are prediabetic or insulin resistant need to eat less carbs to lose weight

No, they don't. I was once prediabetic and I have IR. I have never cut carbs in my life, yet I've lost over 120lbs.

Both the ADA and Diabetes UK say it's not necessary to cut carbs out or down if you're diabetic and want to lose weight.

People would be less incredulous if OP was saying she'd take it to a food bank or something, instead of just dumping it in the bin.
  • SteveJWatson
    SteveJWatson Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Cous-cous is semolina (ie grains of durum wheat), which is the stuff that they grind into flour to make pasta. It is not 'pasta' in the same way that wheat is not bread.

Edited to add: Just googled it and it seems it can be made of other stuff too....

Still, no reason not to eat it.
  • girlygirlnicole
    Options

No, they don't. I was once prediabetic and I have IR. I have never cut carbs in my life, yet I've lost over 120lbs.

Both the ADA and Diabetes UK say it's not necessary to cut carbs out or down if you're diabetic and want to lose weight.

People would be less incredulous if OP was saying she'd take it to a food bank or something, instead of just dumping it in the bin.

Do you weight lift? Are you wanting to gain musle and get an ultra flat stomach that isn't bloated with bad foods? Well that's me. I'm diabetic and I'm wanna eat low gi foods that keep my sugar level balanced also , I don't want rubbish foods...
  • saradord
    Options

Phew someone that thinks the same, didn't realise so many people would be down my neck about it. Makes me feel good too and that's just my aim, plus eating healthy carbs only lol. Crazy. Everyone has different goals.

yup!! Ido it cause it gives me tons of energy with the workouts I do and plus I can eat way more, lol
  • BarbieAS
    BarbieAS Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options
    I kind of feel like if people are going to declare certain foods off-limits because they aren't "clean," they should have a vague idea of what that entails and should be able to determine these things on their own by reading ingredients labels. Also, I think that everyone (regardless of their position on "clean" eating) that the number of carbs in a serving of food has absolutely ZERO impact on whether or not it's "clean." Most fruits are very high carb...would you avoid them because they weren't clean?

Decide what "clean" means to you if it's something that you think is important. Then read labels and decide what fits in your plan. Not the other way around.
  • Rizabees
    Options
    Maybe next time do the research before you buy, you waste less money and food that way.

See if you have a friend or family member who wants to try it, instead of throwing it away.
  • HappyStack
    HappyStack Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Do you weight lift? Are you wanting to gain musle and get an ultra flat stomach that isn't bloated with bad foods? Well that's me. I'm diabetic and I'm wanna eat low gi foods that keep my sugar level balanced also , I don't want rubbish foods...

Yes, I do. You might see the Olympic plates behind me in my profile picture.

Couscous is med-GI. Combined with a protein source it's low-GI.
  • thefewsteps
    thefewsteps Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Don't throw it out, just eat it once in a whole. No harm in it. You can't consider it bad.

I don't eat pasta or any grains really unless it's quinoa or brown rice. Not enough nutrition in regular pasta. There's quinoa pasta now, veggie pasta, whole grain pasta, etc.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    if you washed it before cooking, then yes it is clean.
  • saradord
    Options

don't get me wrong if I wanna a delicious treat I won't deprive my self but just work it into my calories but I tend to make healthy choices !! and it doesnt even phase me anymore, I EAT TO LIVE NOT LIVE TO EAT!!!

yup!! Ido it cause it gives me tons of energy with the workouts I do and plus I can eat way more, lol
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Hate to break it to you but cous cous is pasta. Nothing clean about pasta.

Oh really? I didn't know. Thank you. Straight for the bin then.

really? *facepalm* ..

First world problem = throwing away food because it is not "clean"…..people in africa would kill to have it ….wow, just wow
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

They are clean for healthy eating. No need to throw it away!
  • kshiraakshara
    kshiraakshara Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    "Clean" eating is subjective; if you consider cous cous clean, it is. If you don't, it's not.
  • ajaxe432
    ajaxe432 Posts: 608 Member
    Options

really? *facepalm* ..

First world problem = throwing away food because it is not "clean"…..people in africa would kill to have it ….wow, just wow
    Exactly!
  • EHisCDN
    EHisCDN Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I don't understand your definition of clean. Couscous is delicious and I don't see how it is "unhealthy" or "unclean" or "bad". I'm just confused about what kind of answer you're looking for. I say eat it and if you feel sick afterwards or didn't enjoy it then don't buy it again.