Ketogenic-low carb diet??

Options

Replies

• Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    I think it's actually a pretty common occurrence if you frequent keto circles that people can easily drop weight, at least for a while, simply due to the satiety of the foods they're eating.

The reason for the "for a while" quick weight loss is that people are blowing out there glycogen reserves, which also happen to hold a lot of water.

It's not real weight loss, and those initial pounds will come back as soon as anything resembling a normal diet is resumed.
  • Synamin
    Synamin Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Reddit has a really active Keto group.
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    this is all I have for you ..Keto, Low Carb, IF, etc are not some magical diets that burn through fat….all they are is tools to create a calorie deficit..

You can accomplish the same thing with a calorie deficit, hitting macro targets, and working out. Sugar is not making you fat. Eating caloric surplus is. I just think it is not a good idea to label certain foods "bad" and then entirely restrict them.

Ask yourself this. Are you going to eat just about zero carbs/sugar for the rest of your life? I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong...

^^^ THIS. This dude knows what he's talking about. Diets are for suckers. Develop lifelong sustainable and enjoyable habits and F the fad diets.

Low carb is not a fad diet. It is a great way for some people to move towards what we all desire. To feel fantastic. I can meet my macros and calorie goals by eating 4 pieces of chocolate cake and a few scoops of protein powder but that just wouldn't work for me a an individual. For me whole foods for life. Good luck to all.
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    this is all I have for you ..Keto, Low Carb, IF, etc are not some magical diets that burn through fat….all they are is tools to create a calorie deficit..

You can accomplish the same thing with a calorie deficit, hitting macro targets, and working out. Sugar is not making you fat. Eating caloric surplus is. I just think it is not a good idea to label certain foods "bad" and then entirely restrict them.

Ask yourself this. Are you going to eat just about zero carbs/sugar for the rest of your life? I highly doubt it, but I could be wrong...

^^^ THIS. This dude knows what he's talking about. Diets are for suckers. Develop lifelong sustainable and enjoyable habits and F the fad diets.

Low carb is not a fad diet. It is a great way for some people to move towards what we all desire. To feel fantastic. I can meet my macros and calorie goals by eating 4 pieces of chocolate cake and a few scoops of protein powder but that just wouldn't work for me a an individual. For me whole foods for life. Good luck to all.

Just curious, is this your belief when it comes to those talking about eating in a modest caloric deficit, while not cutting out any food groups? (IIFYM for lack of another term). If so I am thinking you don't understand where those of us that speak this way are coming from.... The vast majority of my diet consist of lean meats, veggie, fruits and whole grains but once my macro needs are met there is no extra credit to continue to eat said veggies and whatnot so instead I spend my remaining calories on those foods I like such as this evening it will be Reese's chocolate peanut butter cup ice cream. (portioned out to fit my remaining calories). None of us saying to eat the way we described mindlessly sit around eating donuts and cake all day.... Just my 2 cents.....
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

I don't eat four pieces of chocolate cake a day and some protein power..I really do not know anyone who does that.

I eat about 80-90% healthy and then I fill in the rest with what I want - ice cream, pizza etc….tonight I will probably have a serving of gelato after dinner and maybe a drink, which is hardly four pieces of chocolate cake…

I said if low carb works for you great…it is just not a magical diet that is going to burn through fat…and if you can live the rest of your life by restricting carbs to 10% of your daily diet then more power to you …I will keep eating all the foods, and be happy with my progress...
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I've done low carb/Atkins-ish for awhile and it really is what I can stick to for a long amount of time. For some reason I don't binge eat like I do when I don't eat low carb. I've tried low cal and its very difficult for me to stick with it. You may experience the "low carb flu" so don't let that stop you if it's something you seriously want to try to see if it's something for you to get to your goals. I actually have the opposite, when I eat low carb I have more energy and alertness almost right away.

Good luck! You may want to find a low carb or keto group on MFP that you can join. You also may want to find some ketone strips. (I didn't use them my first round of low carb and had a lot of success but I use them now just to see where I'm at and if I need to cut my sugar/carb intake or if I knocked myself out of ketosis)

does anyone else think that a diet that gives you a 'flu' is a good thing? I never understood why people want to torture themselves to lose weight when you can just eat in a calorie deficit and work out/move more….
    I suggest you do some reading about what the "low carb flu" is. For some people eating low calorie is torture. If it works for some people great. It doesn't work for everyone. Everyone knows that eating less and working out will get you to lose weight, but its a whole other thing to actually do it.
    Do what works for you. She will do what works for her. If she tries low carb but it doesn't seem to help her cut her calories then she can try harder to limit her cals overall. I will continue to do what works for me. I'm not torturing myself.

right. so restricting whole food groups is easy, but eating in a moderate 500 per day calorie deficit is hard….sounds legit...
    Seriously? If it was so "easy" and "legit" how do you think people gain weight in the first place? To each their own. Which seems to be a very difficult concept for you to grasp.

people gain weight for a number of reasons …Eating in a surplus, emotional eaters, just plain old lazy, don't care about what they eat, don't count calories etc…..

Once you realize that you have come to a point where you have OVEREATEN yourself to obesity and realize that you have to make changes is when you are ready to start making sustainable long term changes. All I am saying is that once you reach that point what sounds easier to you:

Option 1 - Restrica almost all carbs to the point where you have a "carb flu" and then continue to eat like 10% carbs for the rest of your life and label said food as "bad"…then get a urine stick so that you can check your pee to make sure you are in "ketosis"…

OR

Option 2 - Create a 500 calorie daily deficit, hit macros, and work out more more and eat 80% healthy and 20% whatever you want (pizza, ice cream, bread, etc)…

Whatever you choose is fine with me..I am just saying that I have been doing option 2 for six years now and have had great success with it...

Option 1 for sure. But not for everyone.

LOLZ really?????
  • ndj1979
    Options

My eating plan isn't a "diet" or a "fad diet". I do plan to eat low carb for life, with a few cheat meals here and there to shake things up. I'm really getting sick of the keto-bashers on here. NO ONE is forcing any of you to eat keto/paleo/etc, so why come in EVERY thread about low carb and spout your talking points? It's getting bloody ridiculous!

so when someone posts in an open forum asking for opinions if they should do this, or that we can't suggest an alternate, easier approach?

Telling people they can't have an opinion on something because it hurts your low carb/keto sensitivities is even more ridiculous...
  • Sunka1
    Sunka1 Posts: 217 Member
    Options

I don't eat four pieces of chocolate cake a day and some protein power..I really do not know anyone who does that.

I eat about 80-90% healthy and then I fill in the rest with what I want - ice cream, pizza etc….tonight I will probably have a serving of gelato after dinner and maybe a drink, which is hardly four pieces of chocolate cake…

I said if low carb works for you great…it is just not a magical diet that is going to burn through fat…and if you can live the rest of your life by restricting carbs to 10% of your daily diet then more power to you …I will keep eating all the foods, and be happy with my progress...

Ok. I will revise my statement for you. I could meet my macros and calorie goals by eating mostly fruits and veggies and lean protein and a small percentage of foods such as pizza, ice cream, chips but that is just not for me as an individual. For me whole foods for life"!
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb/Atkins-ish for awhile and it really is what I can stick to for a long amount of time. For some reason I don't binge eat like I do when I don't eat low carb. I've tried low cal and its very difficult for me to stick with it. You may experience the "low carb flu" so don't let that stop you if it's something you seriously want to try to see if it's something for you to get to your goals. I actually have the opposite, when I eat low carb I have more energy and alertness almost right away.

Good luck! You may want to find a low carb or keto group on MFP that you can join. You also may want to find some ketone strips. (I didn't use them my first round of low carb and had a lot of success but I use them now just to see where I'm at and if I need to cut my sugar/carb intake or if I knocked myself out of ketosis)

does anyone else think that a diet that gives you a 'flu' is a good thing? I never understood why people want to torture themselves to lose weight when you can just eat in a calorie deficit and work out/move more….

I tried carb cycling...about drove me nuts. What I hated (besides keeping up with what I could eat on certain days) was that "brain fog" feeling that I had. After two weeks I decided that any diet that left me in a "fog" was not for me.
  • ldelahanty1974
    ldelahanty1974 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    This diet is mainly used for individuals with uncontrolled epilepsy. It is started in the hospital because it is dangerous. I would not suggest this diet, what about the modified Adkins? This is also used for the same reasons and benefits but can be used safely.
  • JaceyMarieS
    JaceyMarieS Posts: 692 Member
    Options

The reason for the "for a while" quick weight loss is that people are blowing out there glycogen reserves, which also happen to hold a lot of water.

It's not real weight loss, and those initial pounds will come back as soon as anything resembling a normal diet is resumed.

Yep, all water weight, absolutely. Who knew I was a pond and not a person?
    As for gaining it back, of course I will IF I go back to eating a "normal" diet. My "normal" diet gave me an extra 150 pounds - I'm done with that.
  • caminoslo
    caminoslo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Low carbs curbs you appetite I watched the bbc documentary.
  • nikkihk
    nikkihk Posts: 487 Member
    Options

^^This.

Yesterday, I had a breakfast burrito with cheese and a Smirnoff for dinner... This morning I lost a pound. Just sayin.
  • Darlekins
    Options

^^This.

Yesterday, I had a breakfast burrito with cheese and a Smirnoff for dinner... This morning I lost a pound. Just sayin.

Yesterday, I had cheesecake pancakes for breakfast with raspberry puree and topped off my evening with a porterhouse, salad with bleu cheese and bacon, broccoli with cheese, a very tasty Merlot and a rum & DC. This morning, I was down 3/4 lb AND had a fasting blood glucose level of 89. Torture? No way, although my 10K run this morning with temps in the single digits was a bit extreme.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

My eating plan isn't a "diet" or a "fad diet". I do plan to eat low carb for life, with a few cheat meals here and there to shake things up. I'm really getting sick of the keto-bashers on here. NO ONE is forcing any of you to eat keto/paleo/etc, so why come in EVERY thread about low carb and spout your talking points? It's getting bloody ridiculous!

so when someone posts in an open forum asking for opinions if they should do this, or that we can't suggest an alternate, easier approach?

Telling people they can't have an opinion on something because it hurts your low carb/keto sensitivities is even more ridiculous...

Oh please. Don't pretend like all you're doing is offering another alternative. You go into EVERY thread about keto/paleo/etc and you spout the same talking points. It's like an evangelical yelling at a bunch of atheists. It's annoying and makes you look like an *kitten*.
  • DamePiglet
    DamePiglet Posts: 3,730 Member
    Options
    A page ago, OP decided not to cut out all carbs, but to eat them in moderation because that would be a sustainable choice for her.
    That seems smart to me.
  • ndj1979
    Options

Oh please. Don't pretend like all you're doing is offering another alternative. You go into EVERY thread about keto/paleo/etc and you spout the same talking points. It's like an evangelical yelling at a bunch of atheists. It's annoying and makes you look like an *kitten*.

the buthurt is strong in this one…

Just trying to offer people a more sustainable and realistic path…Life is about having options, so what matter is it to you if I provide people with an alternate path?
  • zentha1384
    zentha1384 Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    Just make sure you have urine ketone testing sticks and are willing to test for large amounts of ketones. I was an undiagnosed T1 diabetic for months, and, because my body could not metabolize glucose, in a way, it was like I was on a ketogenic diet. Over time, the ketones built up in my body, and I went into diabetic ketoacidosis less than three months ago.

There is a risk of going into ketoacidosis with a ketogenic diet. The urine ketone sticks can help in determining when you need to get to the ER ASAP.

I did very low carb/keto for a couple of weeks there. I lost quite a bit and managed to focus on that over the physical effects that worried me a little. I asked about acidosis in the Atkins group and the risks of it and was totally torn apart for it and told I was an idiot.
    Reseearching it was difficult as a lot of medical thought seems to say keto can cause acidosis but lots of research saying it cannot and actually can cure it?

Left me very confused and I upped my carbs a bit to come out of keto as just wasn't sure anymore.

I'm sorry they were rude to you. Atkins is high carb after the first two weeks and has less dealing with Ketosis.

Basically Ketosis and Ketoacidosis are two very very different things. Ketoacidosis is a very dangerous which is why the first person ended up in the ER. If you do not have diabetes you will not have anything to worry about with the Keto Diet.

As far a testing strips go (if you don't have diabetes) you only need them to verify if you are in ketosis. Even then they aren't always accurate because you might only have trace levels or you maybe using the ketones for energy (exercise) which would reduce what appears in your urine.
  • ladymiseryali
    ladymiseryali Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options

the buthurt is strong in this one…

Just trying to offer people a more sustainable and realistic path…Life is about having options, so what matter is it to you if I provide people with an alternate path?

Oh yea, I'm so butthurt by a dude-bro.....whatever.
  • kickassketo
    kickassketo Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Everyone, repeat after me: "Atkins and high protein diets are NOT the same thing as Keto or high fat diets."

A ketogenic diet calls for high fat, moderate protein and very low carb consumption.