Missing chinese food . . mock fried rice?

Options

Replies

• knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I make homemade fried rice with quinoa. It still tastes really good but it's got a different texture. That's the whole reason I make it with quinoa though because none of us actually like rice. :) Quinoa is good for you too so bonus!
  • carollynch09
    Options
    I am planning on making a fried rice dinner tonight. Chicken and a bunch of veggies

Also YUM homemade lemon chicken.

YUM AND YUM!
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,264 Member
    Options
    I used to make fried rice at home all the time. Only reason I don't now is because Soy Sauce is a no-no for me due to a medical condition. Here is how I made mine:

1 C of rice (brown or white, doesn't matter)
    1 serving of protein (usually shrimp or chicken, but I have also done it with pork loin)
    Lots and LOTS of vegetables of your choice
    Garlic
    Ginger
    Soy Sauce (low sodium usually)

When you balk it up with protein and lots of vegetables it is VERY filling. You also get a lot more food for very few added calories.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options
    A typical serving of typical chinese restaurant fried rice is going to be about 500 calories. For someone living on 1200-1500 a day, that is a serious commitment. And depending on their macros, it may blow up their IIFYM.

Takeout chinese is just something I've had to accept will be a very limited part of my life until I hit my goals. And, frankly, it won't be able to be a big part of my life even after that.

Love the stuff but...priorities! :smile:
  • zapampnmp
    Options
    Ellie Krieger has several fried rice variations... you can google her name and fried rice but here is the first time I saw her do it:
    http://www.finecooking.com/recipes/five-treasure-fried-rice.aspx

the only trick to fried rice is starting with cold rice so that it doesn't need as much oil to crisp up {I don't know why but something to do with starches} If you don't hate cauliflower why not do a combination of cauliflower and rice to up the veggie and cut the carbs? I have done that in past. I use ginger and garlic to season mine~~ I throw in some rice vinegar and sesame oil or soy at the end or at table. I start with bacon, scramble an egg~ set those two aside while I sauté the rice, throw in garlic/ginger, add in shredded carrots, scallions, peas etc and then more cooked protein if I feel like it. I also will chop up any mixed veggies left over from week or cabbage into the pan to really change the veggie/rice ratio. But that is me.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    why don't you just make room in your daily deficit for fried rice…or just for one day eat at maintenance and have the fried rice?

when you restrict things, you desire them more, which leads you to binge on them...
  • knra_grl
    knra_grl Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I was giving up on chinese food because of the salt content, etc - but a new restaraunt opened up and they don't use msg or over use the soya so their food a way less salty and very tasty and their buffet is yummo but I have to admit it is still an indugence to go there as they always have lots of breaded deepfried meats (chicken and pork last time) just yummy crispy little bites of goodness!
  • ndj1979
    Options
    Why don't you just go get some Chinese food? It's not going to kill you.

Rigger

It may not kill you, but you or I will probably be hungry 30 mins later, and that IS dangerous for weight loss ;)

LOLZ its not dangerous to either up to maintenance or be a little over every ONCE in a while…
  • RaspberryKeytoneBoondoggle
    Options
    Make it with rice!
    I make a fried rice meal that is packed with veggies, a d protein, and easy to fit into my daily calories. I really should make it more often actually because my husband (meat and potatoes guy) even loves it when I make it.
  • MorgueBabe
    MorgueBabe Posts: 1,188 Member
    Options
    NO NO NO NO NO to Cauliflower rice.

Dear God Just no.
    My boyfriends fried rice"
    Safeway - Enriched Long Grain Rice, 1 cup dry 640 calories
    Safeway - Frozen Peas & Carrots, 0.75 cup (85 grams) 56 calories
    Birds Eye - Sweet Kernel Corn, Frozen (1 lb Bag), 0.5 Cup (90g) 75 calories
    Generic - Yellow Onion, Diced, 0.33 cup 21 calories
    Spice World - Ground Ginger, 2 tsp 10 calories
    Dynasty - Oyster Sauce, 0.75 Tbsp 19 calories
    Spectrum Naturals - Coconut Oil, Organic, 2 Tbsp (15ml) 240 calories
    Thai Kitchen - Premium Fish Sauce, 0.33 Tbsp (15ml) 3 calories
    Kikkoman Soy Sauce - Low Sodium, 4 Tbsp 40 calories
    Sauce - Kikkoman - Soy Sauce, 2 tablespoon 20 calories
    Eggs - Fried (whole egg), 3 large 277 calories
    Spice World - Chopped Garlic, 6 tsp. (5g) 0 calories

4 servings 350 each. The coconut oil, fish sauce and oyster sauce are KEY
  • ndj1979
    Options
    i agree on the no cauliflower rice….just eat the damn rice...
  • rbaileyMOG
    Options
    Works very well...thought was really rice....stir fry raw shredded and add eggs, snow peas, beacon, green onions, soy and ginger...I also add chicken..... great low carb meal....
  • HappyGladGal
    HappyGladGal Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Just my 2 cents' worth. I don't believe in depriving myself of my cravings. I will only keep thinking of it and feeling miserable. Just portion the fried rice (either take away or home cooked). Have some vegetables too. Vegetables have fibre and it makes you feel fuller. Personally, I prefer cooking at home, so I know and can control what ingredients I add in. Count the calories to know how many calories you have left for your other meals, then plan it. But don't starve or deprive yourself. If you are comfortable exercising, then do some to burn some of the calories you ate for the fried rice. Leisure walks also helps burn calories. Otherwise, just go over the calories for that day and go back to healthy food for the next week or so.

For me, the ratio of 80/20 of healthy diet/sinful cravings works for me. So long as there is a calorie deficit, it will help you lose weight. A great friend on MFP told me this, it is about a journey, not a race. So, try to make the healthy habits into a lifestyle, not a race towards an end. Do things that are sustainable in the long run.
  • Charlottesometimes23
    Options
    I make my own fried rice a similar way to the other recipes here but I make it 50:50 with standard rice and Shirataki (miracle) rice. The standard rice does a great job of masking the Shirataki rice and basically doubles the quantity for no additional calories. I always use spicy sesame oil, onions, whatever frozen veges I have on hand, cooked chicken or prawns, omelette, and nasi goreng paste.

A huge bowl is about 300 calories
  • redrobin1000
    redrobin1000 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Try a bed of vegetables instead of rice ( Basmati rice is good!) with a good sauce!
  • xianuk
    xianuk Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Drop the glass of wine or dessert, enjoy the rice, make it fit your macros.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I know how to make the mock mashed potatoes with cauliflower

Off topic a bit, I'll grant you, but what the fudging fudge? My mashed potato (everyone who has it says it's the best they've ever had. I always get requests to make it when people come over) is 114 cals per 4oz-potato-plus-butter/milk* serve. I mean I always have a double serve because it's glorious and I love potato more than life but

Why would you need/want to replace that with cauliflower? I... I don't understand.

The very idea is offending me :laugh:

*light sunflower spread / skim milk

Back to the topic at hand: eat the rice. Not gonna kill you. Just don't eat it in large amounts every day or whatever. Moderation, and that.
  • JesterMFP
    JesterMFP Posts: 3,596 Member
    Options
    Did you move to Antarctica or some place where they don't serve chinese food?

lol..no. I guess I always thought fried rice was fattening. I've never tried making it at home but since I'm hearing that it's not bad, I might as well let the professionals make it for me :D. I haven't eaten fried rice in moderation any time I can remember. I'll have to just pay attention to how much is going into my mouth. Thanks for all your comments.
    Foods aren't "fattening" unless you are taking in more energy than you're expending. It's trickier to manage the energy balance with foods that are more calorie dense, but you can certainly do it, especially if it's once in a while.
    AUGH! I'm such a pig!!!!!!!!!! I go to the store and buy a bag of rice. White. I end up steaming it. Makes 2 cups. No butter or oil. Just the water and the rice. So far so good. Had one cup. Think it filled me up? HELL NO! Well, it did but I ate the second cup too. My will power sucks. sucks. sucks. Today anyway.

Ok, on a GOOD note, I'm so full of rice it sounds terrible and I don't want any more for at least a month.

One of you should have been here to hit me up side the head. :)

P.S. it's all good
    Try to let go of that stuff. You're not bad or disgusting for eating a bit more than you intended to. It's food, not genocide. Beating yourself up every time you slip up isn't that helpful for long-term weight management. :flowerforyou: Funnily enough, Chinese takeaway is one of the few things that I eat significantly less of now I count calories. Not intentionally, but I've just found that I no longer enjoy it as much as I used to, and don't find it's worth the extra calories. No guilt attached when I do eat it though, even if I go over my goal.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    this is my favorite recipe for sesame chicken

http://www.food.com/recipe/sesame-chicken-44321

i double the sauce and i serve it over white rice and lots of peppers and onions
  • elyelyse
    elyelyse Posts: 1,454 Member
    Options
    I love Chinese food, but unfortunately restaurant Chinese food is way too high in calories to eat regularly for some of us (who knows how much oil is used in each dish??) , and when I do get some, I want something more interesting than fried rice!

At home, however, it's totally doable. I tend to use less than a full portion of rice per serving, and bulk it up with vegetables. Using sesame oil gives it a great flavor, and mixing in an egg at the end adds that final touch. Sometimes I'll use 2 eggs, or add another protein to the mix, depending on how many calories I have to work with.